Search Unity

Official Hybrid Renderer V2 (0.4.0)

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by SebastianAaltonen, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nothke

Nothke

Hi, I'm trying to install the latest SRP github repo, but I'm getting errors. I copied files to packages/ but I'm getting this:

C:\Projects\UNITY\PACKAGES\unity.graphics-0.9.0\com.unity.render-pipelines.core\Editor\ShaderGenerator\CSharpToHLSL.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ICSharpCode' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Edit: forgot to say I'm talking about SRP

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

you dont need the github version ,you can use the package manage rfine

3. Nothke

Nothke

Forgot to say I was talking about SRP, not hybrid renderer package ‍‍:( . There's no SRP/HDRP 9.0.0 in the package manager, and it's required for Hybrid Renderer.

4. thelebaron

thelebaron

5. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

There is such a package! I can download it via packagemanager just fine, could be that you need to upgrade unity to a different version to see it

6. Nothke

Nothke

Ahh, I didn't know about this "secret site". Damn, wish I knew earlier.

Strange, I'm on Unity 2020.1.0b8, and don't see it. Latest one that shows up is 8.1.0

7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Enable Preview Packages under the Advanced tab in the Package Manager

8. Nothke

Nothke

The preview WAS turned on.

But anyway, I opened a new project just to make sure that I'm the one who is wrong here. And yes, I want to kill myself now. ... Or whoever designed the package manager, I'm not sure.

The thing is that there is a drop down - which when you click on, it shows a newer, but unverified version - 8.1.0, so I thought, OK, that's the only newer version.

upload_2020-5-10_21-44-4.png

BUT there's the "See other versions" which is super tiny and I didn't look at it because 1. I'm blind, 2. I thought this was the only version :facepalm: . And now 9.0.0 reveals itself..... Jeez, I just spent 3 hours trying to get this work because I didn't spot there's more versions than more versions!

upload_2020-5-10_21-44-42.png

I suggest Unity should add at least 3 more levels of versions:
    - See other other versions?
    - Really see other versions??
    - REALLY REALLY see other other versions??

transat, Cynicat, mh114 and 2 others like this.
  9. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@eizenhorn thank you sooo much. Adding Renderbounds did indeed help as now it was listed in the EntityDebugger as used by HybridRendererSystem - but it still was not rendered...

... because at no point the system tells you that the shader is not compatible. Created for test purposes a new Material with the URP/Unlit shader and tada - the entity was drawn.

@Nothke, I feel your pain :)

10. thelebaron

thelebaron

Ill just echo that burying things in menus toggles and more clicks is really irritating. Not the hybrid renderer teams fault but I really dont think there was a need to obfuscate the preview packages like this.

11. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The reason it's hidden is that they are preview packages. The default one you see is the verified package. A lot of people use the preview packages and complain that they are preview, so it's just a way to keep it from the main base of users. The ones who want to use it and understand how things are will be able to.

12. Nothke

Nothke

I've already Enabled Preview Packages in Project Settings AND accepted the warning-prompt, so additionally obscurring the preview packages is unecessary.

But anyway, this is a topic for another thread.

Back to renderer:

I noticed that Lights work again in ECS, yaay! But "LightData" entity component does not make a comeback. By looking into the inspector, I see that the classic Light component is attached to the entity. And there's a "CompanionLink" to the original GameObject. Really confusing.

Light did not become IComponentData, it still inherits Behavior.. So, what's exactly going on here?

upload_2020-5-11_2-10-48.png

And how can we change the light data at runtime now?

I tried writing
    Code (CSharp):
    1. inputDeps = Entities.ForEach((ref Light light) =>
    2.         {
    4.         }).Schedule(inputDeps);
    but I get a
    Code (CSharp):
    1. error DC0023: Entities.ForEach uses managed IComponentData Light&. This is only supported when using .WithoutBurst() and .Run().
    So, Light has magically somehow also become an IComponentData, but a managed one? That's new. Does this mean we can't change light data in Burst-compiled jobs now? And not even off the main thread, since it requires .Run()? Or am I missing something?

13. thelebaron

thelebaron

try .Run() instead of schedule(and also get rid of inputDeps = part when using run). might also want to think about switching to SystemBase over JobComponentSystem

14. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

Correct. If you need to modify light parameters, I suggest making an IComponentData containing just the parameters you want to modify at runtime, and then using Entities.ForEach on that to get Burst and all. Then use a main thread Entities.WithChangeFilter<CustomLightType>().ForEach to update changes.

MNNoxMortem and Enzi like this.
  15. Nothke

Nothke

That's the solution I also thought of. And also what I feared. I'm quite disappointed that we can't do that in Burst compiled jobs. Not even off the main thread. "Performance by default" they said..

A year ago I changed HDRP shaders to accept custom fog volume types, which are passed by a structured buffer. I would have a FogVolumeData which I can change freely in any System, and then at the end I'd collect all volumes in a Burst compiled job into a NativeArray and assign them to the buffer at very little cost. I don't understand why Lights couldn't have worked in a similar way.

Btw, I didn't know about WithChangeFilter<>(), will check it out. Thanks

16. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

This looks cool!

If you want to disable entities from being rendered when using Hybrid V2, we also support using the DisableRendering tag component. Any entity with that tag component will be efficiently skipped by Hybrid V2. However, adding or removing tag components can cause structural changes in DOTS so it's not entirely free at the moment.

17. snacktime

snacktime

For billboards I'm using DisableRendering. I hit some odd culling bugs when using moving renderers in conjunction with either disabling them or using LOD with them. Rendereres started to just get culled wrong as if the world render bounds got messed up.

Quick video of the final result with billboard cells, individual billboards and an LOD0.

Billboard cells I decided to generate at runtime. Actually not a huge hit spread out over time I generate from camera out.

Stuff pops in and out fairly slow because the actual game movement is far slower then what the camera is doing here.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Ofx360, Nothke and nicolasgramlich like this.
  18. nicolasgramlich

nicolasgramlich

Does anyone have an explanation on why this happens. It's literally just a cube with the default Lit shader in URP.
    Hybrid Renderer V2 seems active as per
    Hybrid Renderer V2 active, MaterialProperty component type count 52 / 128
    console message.

Setup:
    2020.1.0.b8.3654
    , "targeting"
    Android

{
    "dependencies": {
    "com.google.external-dependency-manager": "1.2.153",
    "com.google.firebase.analytics": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.auth": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.crashlytics": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.database": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.dynamic-links": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.firestore": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.functions": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.instance-id": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.messaging": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.remote-config": "6.14.0",
    "com.google.firebase.storage": "6.14.0",
    "com.unity.2d.sprite": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.analytics": "3.4.0",
    "com.unity.animation": "0.4.0-preview.1",
    "com.unity.burst": "1.3.0-preview.12",
    "com.unity.collab-proxy": "1.3.7",
    "com.unity.device-simulator": "2.2.2-preview",
    "com.unity.dots.editor": "0.6.0-preview",
    "com.unity.entities": "0.10.0-preview.6",
    "com.unity.ide.rider": "2.0.3",
    "com.unity.ide.vscode": "1.2.0",
    "com.unity.inputsystem": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.jobs": "0.2.9-preview.15",
    "com.unity.performance.profile-analyzer": "0.6.0-preview.1",
    "com.unity.physics": "0.3.2-preview",
    "com.unity.platforms.android": "0.4.0-preview.1",
    "com.unity.polybrush": "1.0.1",
    "com.unity.probuilder": "4.2.3",
    "com.unity.progrids": "3.0.3-preview.6",
    "com.unity.quicksearch": "1.5.3",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.universal": "9.0.0-preview.14",
    "com.unity.rendering.hybrid": "0.5.0-preview.6",
    "com.unity.scriptablebuildpipeline": "1.7.2",
    "com.unity.test-framework": "1.1.14",
    "com.unity.test-framework.performance": "2.0.9-preview",
    "com.unity.textmeshpro": "2.0.1",
    "com.unity.timeline": "1.3.2",
    "com.unity.ugui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.ai": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.androidjni": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.animation": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.assetbundle": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.audio": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.cloth": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.director": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imageconversion": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imgui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.jsonserialize": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.particlesystem": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.physics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.physics2d": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.screencapture": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.terrain": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.terrainphysics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.tilemap": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.ui": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.uielements": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.umbra": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unityanalytics": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequest": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestassetbundle": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestaudio": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequesttexture": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestwww": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.vehicles": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.video": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.vr": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.wind": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0"
    },
    "scopedRegistries": [
    {
    "name": "Game Package Registry by Google",
    "url": "https://unityregistry-pa.googleapis.com",
    "scopes": [
    "com.google"
    ]
    }
    ]
    }

Left: Cube with Convert To Entity (Convert & Destroy)
    Middle: Cube inside a Closed SubScene
    Right: Cube inside a Open SubScene
    Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.42.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.42.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.42.57 AM.png

Left: Running, Game View (everything is gone, wtf)
    Left: Running, Scene View (only the "Cube inside a Open SubScene" is still there)
    Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.43.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.43.56 AM.png

I'm so so so confused... :eek::confused::(

Sidenote: The project itself has a few other shaders that might not be V2 compatible, but none of them is used in this Scene. I believe this is as minimal as it gets, short of creating an entire new project from scratch, which I'm slowly, but surely growing tired of. :rolleyes:

GDevTeam and Opeth001 like this.
  19. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

It seems that everything which is an entity (closed subscenes, converted gameobjects in play mode) is not rendering. Can you check with the Entity Debugger (Window > Analysis > Entity Debugger), if you can see those entities, and which components do they have? In particular, do they have a "HybridChunkInfo" component, which is added by Hybrid Renderer V2 for all entities that it renders. If it's missing, it likely means that some required other data is missing, and if it's present, then it's likely that there is a bug.

Alternatively, if you can submit a bug report with a small repro project, we can take a look at it to find out what's wrong.

nicolasgramlich likes this.
  20. nicolasgramlich

nicolasgramlich

I'm struggling to replicate the issue in a brand new project (I'll keep trying), but here is a video of what's happening in my existing project (If it matters, I used URP and Hybrid V1 there before test-upgrading to 2020.1 and Hybrid V2. Nuking Library/Temp/obj doesn't seem to help either).

To answer your question, the
    HybridChunkInfo
    does exist:

21. PhilSA

PhilSA

The manual says "Hybrid Entities: Subscene support for Light, Camera and other managed components", but converting a camera to entity in a subscene seems to just disable all rendering (absent camera). Am I doing something wrong?

And also is there a way to support environment/ambient lighting at this time in v2?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    nicolasgramlich and YurySedyakin like this.
  22. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Given that HybridChunkInfo exists, it's very likely that there is some bug either with Hybrid Renderer data upload, or with the shader itself. You can try if clicking either "DOTS > Hybrid Renderer > Recreate all batches" or "DOTS > Hybrid Renderer > Reupload instance data" fixes the problem (which would indicate a problem with the data upload). If the problem still persists after that, another thing you could try would be taking a RenderDoc capture, which would make it possible to debug any problems in the draw itself (for example, vertices transformed incorrectly).

23. nicolasgramlich

nicolasgramlich

@JussiKnuuttila No luck with either
    Recreate all batches
    or
    Reupload instance data

I'll try to set up Render Doc some time, but not sure when I'll have the bandwith to figure out another tool :oops:'

I'll try the reverese. Keep gutting my existing project until it I can bisect the place it stops being broken :confused:

24. nicolasgramlich

nicolasgramlich

@JussiKnuuttila omg, i figured it out. I had the SRPBatcher disabled in the render pipeline quality settings, because in 2019 and Hybrid V1 there used to be all sorts of glitches :)

Colors are a little off now (see attachment), but I'll figure out why that's happening :) Looks like the ambient light might be missing :confused: Note: I have nothing fancy like baked lighting, just a single directional light and some ambient light the worked perfectly fine in 2019/HybridV1.

I'm not sure if it's the same as @snacktime reported and @Tim-C said is already being worked on?

2020.1 / V2

upload_2020-5-12_17-58-45.png

2019.3 / V1
    It used to look more colorful like this:

florianhanke likes this.
  25. snacktime

snacktime

Is the intended behaviour of DisableRendering that disabled will be removed from the batch? I'm assuming so and it's just a bug. But for the use case if not it would be a big deal.

26. elJoel

elJoel

This is the exact same problem I have. IMO fixing this should be top priority, HRV2 is unusable for me without ambient light.

27. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Yes, ambient lighting support is currently being worked on.

There are also still some remaining known issues with sRGB / linear color space conversion that could explain the colors being a little off in some cases, these are being worked on as well.

28. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

This is intended behavior currently. DisableRendering entities will reside in different DOTS chunks than non-disabled entities, and batches will not be created for chunks with disabled entities. It is possible to add a different kind of disable feature in the future, but currently it does not exist.

29. snacktime

snacktime

Posting it here because I've failed to get feedback on this feature on the graphics forums before.

When I create my own BatchRendererGroup as soon as I add a batch it screws up the HR batches. The majority of renderers stop rendering and/or just the shadows render. Gets culled at wrong ranges as the camera moves around.

My batch render stuff is completely isolated. BatchRendererGroup doesn't appear to have any api's that can even introspect other groups so not sure how this could be happening. Only thing I can think of is a bug in BatchRendererGroup itself, or maybe possibly the partial updates HR does might not be multiple batch aware for some reason.

30. snacktime

snacktime

Confirmed this doesn't happen with multiple groups I create.

31. snacktime

snacktime

Ok so sort of figured out the behaviour. If my group has something not culled, HR renderers stop rendering correctly. I can see the switch by panning the camera. HR renderers are still rendering shadows but nothing else. Didn't notice the pattern before because my group was rendering stuff random over the scene. I had it just render something at one point and it became more clear.

I can have multiple groups of my own same interaction with HR for both. Tried seeing if order mattered creating my batches before then after no difference.

32. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

This definitely sounds like a bug in BatchRendererGroup implementation. Would it be possible for you to submit a bug report with a small repro project so we can diagnose this in detail?

33. snacktime

snacktime

Ya no problem I'll get that in later today.

34. snacktime

snacktime

case 1247413

35. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Thank you!

36. Opeth001

Opeth001

is the Hybrid Renderer will support baking lights, shadows ... ?
    currently the realtime rendering on Low/Medium-End devices is very very slow im using the latest version of the hybrid Renderer package but without adding the ENABLE_HYBRID_RENDERER_V2 to my Project's Scripting Define symbols. because it's not currently supported on mobile.

nicolasgramlich likes this.
  37. KillHour

KillHour

I'm having the same problem. I was hoping to finally get out of the main thread for setting shadergraph properties. Any idea what's up with this?

Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace ThreeDomains.VonNeumann.Components {
    2.     [MaterialProperty("_Memory", MaterialPropertyFormat.Float4x4)]
    3.     public struct MemoryMaterial : IComponentData
    4.     {
    5.         public float4x4 Value;
    6.     }
    7. }

Yet the shader is obviously initialized to a default Matrix 4x4.

cultureulterior likes this.
  38. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

There is currently a known bug with float4x4 together with Hybrid V2 and shader graph. float4x4 works with manual HLSL shaders. As a temporary workaround, you can use four float4 properties and manually combine them into a matrix in the shader graph. This is a bit annoying to do, but the performance should be good.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  39. KillHour

KillHour

Just FYI, in case it helps you debug, Hybrid V1 has the same problem.

40. snacktime

snacktime

Can we get SkinnedMeshRendererConversion made public so it can be disabled/replaced with custom conversion?

LudiKha likes this.
  41. snacktime

snacktime

Also why I'm at it how to solve well getting animation and rendering entities not so tightly entangled. Basically it boils down to SkinnedEntityReference and the conversion supporting the notion of animation being a separate entity.

The trick seems to be how to make the connection between the two in a flexible way. Commonly you will have a lot of potential renderers for every skinned mesh slot in a game that offers any level of character customization. And the conversion for those should be separate. Yet at some point you have to link them up.

It's not difficult to just convert the rig first then rewrite the SkinnedEntityReference's. I admit I'm somewhat at a loss as to an elegant solution to this.

42. elJoel

elJoel

I am getting this error a lot:

Out of memory in the Hybrid Renderer GPU instance data buffer. Attempted to allocate 220, buffer size: 67108864, free size left: 64.

Any way to fix this?

43. snacktime

snacktime

I didn't debug it because we don't need two rendering worlds. But with two active at least the default world doesn't render. The data looks fine stats show draw calls and all just nothing visible.

44. elJoel

elJoel

Increasing this:
    const int kMaxGPUPersistentInstanceDataSize = 1024 * 1024 * 64; // 64 MB

to 128 MB kind of helped i think. Don't know what the side effects are going to be though. Gonna report back after some more testing.
    const int kMaxGPUPersistentInstanceDataSize = 1024 * 1024 * 64 * 2; // 128 MB

andywatts, tylo and cultureulterior like this.
  45. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

This is the correct workaround for now, and aside from consuming more memory, there shouldn't be any side effects. We are planning to make this easily configurable in the future.

elJoel likes this.
  46. andywatts

andywatts

FWIW, Hybrid Instanced Variables seem less glitchy with Entities 0.11.0 and HybridRenderer 0.5.1.

47. snacktime

snacktime

So how long before indirect lighting fixes arrive? Doesn't look like they made it into 0.5.1.

48. Stroustrup

Stroustrup

Soon™

gussk and nicolasgramlich like this.
  49. Is this a known issue?
    - I have a super-simple scene with four gameobjects, 1 mesh per GO.
    - I add Convert To Entity component
    - in 2020.1beta9, the rendering (after entering play mode) works properly
    - in 2020.2a11, the rendering does not work at all, the scene will be empty (more precisely the converted entities won't render, the not converted GOs render properly)

Tried with the verified set of Entities-Hybrid renderer-etc and tried with the latest as well in both editor.
    The two projects are essentially the same, I copied the 2020.1 project into another folder and updated into 2020.2a11.
    The project is URP, same behavior in 8.1 and 9.0.

50. nicolasgramlich

nicolasgramlich

Try enabling the SRP Batcher. I had a very similar (same?) issue:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hybrid-renderer-v2-0-4-0.847546/page-5#post-5831986

Solution: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hybrid-renderer-v2-0-4-0.847546/page-5#post-5839978

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.