Search Unity

Official Hybrid Renderer V2 (0.4.0)

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by SebastianAaltonen, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

Many of you have noticed that we shipped Hybrid Renderer V2 in hybrid.renderer 0.4.0 package.

Documentation (updated!):
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.4/manual/index.html

IMPORTANT Hybrid Renderer V2 info:
    • Hybrid Renderer V1 is still the default renderer.
    • Hybrid Renderer V2 can be enabled with ENABLE_HYBRID_RENDERER_V2 define
    • You need Unity 2020.1.0b3. This version is not yet released.
    • You need SRP 9.0.0-preview. This package is not yet released.
    • SRP: Alternatively you can checkout SRP repository manually. Use the master branch.
    Please don't try to enable Hybrid Renderer V2 with older packages or older Unity version. You will likely encounter visual issues (including no rendering at all) and heavy performance issues on some platforms.

I will be posting more info about Hybrid Renderer V2 when we have shipped the new SRP and Unity versions.

Conclusion: We recommend people to wait until Unity 2020.1.0b3 and SRP 9.0.0-preview package are available.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

Update: Documentation has been updated with correct information.

3. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

(reserved post for future update when all packages have shipped)

4. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Lightmaps are listed as not supported in V1, but is there any plan to support them in V2? That is the major adoption blocker we have with the HybridRenderer at the moment.

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I know that DX12 isn't supported yet (docs stated 2020.2 target for DX12), but I'm curious if DXR will be supported when the DX12 is functional on new hybrid renderer?

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

7. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

Yes. We plan to add lightmap support for Hybrid Renderer V2. We understand how important this is for many developers.

phobos2077 and thelebaron like this.
  8. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

DX12 is supported, but is currently very slow. We are working on improvements to make it closer to performance of DX11, Vulkan and Metal backends.

We have started investigating hybrid DXR, but I don't yet have any concrete timeline I could share with you.

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Ah, I thought it wasn't functional at all but it must really be because I could only test it on b1 which doesn't have all the needed changes (DX12 just didn't render anything on converted meshes on my try where DX11 rendered like half of them). I'll wait for b3 :D. And yeah HDRP DX12 is really slow atm in general too so hoping to see improvements on this towards 2020.2.
    I'm mainly concerned if more niche feats like DXR not getting the DOTS treatment, I'm happy to hear it's being investigated though :)

10. Fribur

Fribur

Sebastian, so nice to see that things are moving now on Hybrid Renderer -- desperately needed as right now it is the opposite of the DOTS-mantra "Performance by Default".

You also do a great job engaging with the community, keeping us informed (even about features not yet working, but good to know they are coming). Thank you, and hope you can keep it up!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. iamarugin

iamarugin

I have a space simulator with no static entities at all. Also I have a planet surfaces, with 200-400 unique quads (33x33 vertices each). So the question is: will dynamic codepath be faster in HRv2?

JakHussain and Sarkahn like this.
  12. Opeth001

Opeth001

Are you planning to create a CD that can be added to a Chunk or an Entity so they can be ignored by the hybrid renderer V2?
    our use case: we want to add our own Culling System for our TOP-DOWN game style which can amazingly increase the hybred renderer performance for mobile devices. ( culling by regions before the Frustum Culling)

13. Fribur

Fribur

14. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

Dynamic code path will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster. There's no static entities at all anymore. Hybrid Renderer V2 is using chunk.DidChange<T> to only update changed component arrays from each chunk to GPU. If you don't do query with write access to the chunks of your planet entities every frame, then no data is uploaded to GPU. There's close to zero cost. If you only modify some data, such as LocalToWorld to rotate the planets, then only that component is uploaded to GPU, all other data is persistent.

Additionally, all of this work is now done in parallel Burst jobs. Main thread cost is very small now. We added a new API that exposes GPU memory directly to Burst jobs, allowing the update logic to write data directly to GPU accessible memory. This is a big CPU performance improvement, as we avoid two copies and two translation layers.

15. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thank you very much for clarification, this is fantastic news!

phobos2077 and charleshendry like this.
  16. YurySedyakin

YurySedyakin

You are aware that simply READING the dynamic buffer of transform children will mark the chunk as changed, are you? I realize this is more of a question to the guys working on transforms in entities package, but you are going to heavily rely on DidChange...

17. sngdan

sngdan

@SebastianAaltonen did you every check the thread on 200k sprites...we used a similar approach with .DidChange and even double buffered those to upload only slices of the array to the gpu (i.e. if continues parts of the double buffered array change, they will be uploaded in one go, but this can also lead to many small slices to be uploaded) --- i never really benchmarked this properly... would be interesting to have someone from your end see if this adds further benefit or not (at the cost of memory)

18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I tested this now again on 2020.1.0b2 and it seems to work now. Are there still some changes missing from b2 that land on b3?

I briefly tested this on DX11, DX12 and in HDRP VR and all seem to render now. On 2020.1.0b1 I got like 50% of the materials rendered on DX11 and DX12 didn't do anything..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    charleshendry and June1111 like this.
  19. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I'm still pretty sad about the (broken) performance, right now, and it would already be a huge help to know which unity version and renderer combination still gets the good frame rates. I tried to git bisect, but I can't find a working config anymore.

R0man likes this.
  20. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Worth noting is that you'll have way worse perf in the editor than what you'll have in actual build, at least when you use DOTS, HDRP and hybrid renderer.

My test project has like 50 fps on postcard sized game tab while running the game in editor where standalone IL2CPP build runs the same scene 260 fps @ 1440p. It's like night and day.

You might also get better editor perf by turning off jobs + burst debugging and safety feats, for me it bumped the test project from 50 fps to 80 fps in editor.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  21. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Nah, ever model I render eats 25+ milliseconds, which is close to 100x what it did before I updated to 2020.1 beta, from the alpha.

22. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Also in 2020.1 they disabled debugging code generation by default, now it enables only when you attach debugger, and it bumps editor performance extremely, it’s now near to real build performance

23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

That's really not the case on my brief testing. I get 80fps in release mode if I disable jobs debugger too. Otherwise it's 50fps in editor. In build it's that ~260fps. This could be result of my relatively simple test project though, I don't know how this would scale on bigger projects.

24. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

I’m speaking not about jobs debugger but Code Optimization setting.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/ManagedCodeDebugging.html

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Yes, we both talked about same thing (do note I mentioned release mode specifically). I just said that job debugger had also 30fps drop even if I were on that release mode on 2020.1.

In my project I get: 50 fps in editor play mode if I have either debug mode active (which you linked) OR job debugger active. Both turned off (so running on release mode) and I get 80 fps in editor. In build I get 260fps so there is a difference.

And should talk about ms specifically but that's beyond the point here as I didn't really run this on profiler to see what exactly cost and what.

26. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Yeah disabling jobs debugger, safety checks etc also gives performance boost for editor. In case of our RTS it gives 70-80 in editor (previous was ~30) and in build it’s ~90.

phobos2077 likes this.
  27. wg-siggig

wg-siggig

2020.1 beta 3 is out :) lets hope HDRP 9 preview is out soon!

nicolasgramlich and Opeth001 like this.
  28. Opeth001

Opeth001

lets hope URP 9 preview is out soon too!

29. tertle

tertle

30. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

(or use github master)

I've been testing this on beta 3, I still think this was functional on beta 2 already as I don't see any difference between the two.

31. BrendonSmuts

BrendonSmuts

Does this new setup work with SubScenes? If I switch to V2 my SubScene loads in but I see no entities being rendered in the scene or game view. Am using b3 and the 9.0.0preview6. This is my first time adding the URP and SRP packages so not sure if there is in tweaking to my setup I am missing coming from the built in Renderer and V1

32. Opeth001

Opeth001

make sure you use only Lit and Unlit shaders. i had the same problem until i changed all materials shaders to lit.

all other shaders are not supported yet by the Hybred Renderer V2!

BrendonSmuts likes this.
  33. Opeth001

Opeth001

lclemens likes this.
  34. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

from https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.4/manual/index.html:

"Hybrid Renderer V2 is compatible with following shader types: ShaderGraph, HDRP/Lit, HDRP/Unlit, URP/Lit, URP/Unlit. We will add support for more shader types in future releases."

meaning you can also use shader graph types to some extent.

It's not supposed to work well on mobiles yet. From same official doc page:

"IMPORTANT: Hybrid Renderer V2 is experimental in Unity 2020.1. We have validated it on Windows DX11, Vulkan and Mac Metal backends in both Editor and Standalone builds. Our aim is to validate DX12, mobile device and console platform support for 2020.2."

Opeth001 likes this.
  35. SamOld

SamOld

Is the plan for Hybrid Renderer to eventually become the main DOTS renderer, or does "hybrid" imply this is a stop-gap before a Pure Renderer of some type? I assume that we will eventually get support for pure DOTS lights and cameras etc? I'd like to have a rough idea of the timeline for that.

@SebastianAaltonen, just as a matter of curiosity, could you talk a little about which new features in the 2020.x betas are required for Hybrid Renderer V2 support?

I'm enjoying watching this develop, but haven't moved any of my actual projects over to it yet as I was just hitting too many basic stability problems with the 2020.x releases and had to go back to 2019.3. Don't worry, I reported the bugs.

36. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

How do I perform an entity operation on just non-culled entities with the new hybrid renderer?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  37. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Hybrid does not imply stop gap solution. It is the official renderer that is meant to be used with DOTS.
    We are working towards complete compatibility with HDRP & URP functionality, but at significantly better performance on the CPU.

Lights and Cameras are in progress they will be serialised as normal unity game objects using the new Hybrid component support.

38. SamOld

SamOld

Thanks! So hybrid GO/DOTS is the long term plan? We won't be getting pure DOTS cameras and lights? That's a little disappointing to be honest, I was hoping we would be getting Graphics APIs for directly rendering lights on a frame-by-frame basis. Does the engine rely too heavily on multi-frame state to make that practical or something?

39. andywatts

andywatts

Anyone seeing these odd CPU spikes...
    Hybrid-0.4.0 with SRP-9-preview-0 from GitHub.
    Scene is a single cube with ConvertToEntity on my MacBook Pro.

40. andywatts

andywatts

Where can I find HybridHDRPSamples mentioned in the change log?
    I checked the package cache and SRP github.

DannCi and vildauget like this.
  41. OldMage

OldMage

With Hybrid Renderer V2 and the latest SRP and URP, is it possible to convert 2D lit sprites to Entities and have them be affected by 2D lighting? If it's not possible, is it possible to have 2D entities unaffected by lighting rendered behind a GO scene that is? (as background elements)

42. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

That is a pretty long time. Would you mind filing a bug on this so that we can track it?
    In any case it should absolutely not take that long. Our plan is to have begin/end buffer write take virtually no time on the main thread

andywatts likes this.
  43. Panek

Panek

44. andreicfsteaua

andreicfsteaua

When are we going to get fully DOTS rendering? Atm having RenderMesh with a reference to a UnityEngine.Mesh is a big limitation to me.....

Gekigengar, lclemens and SamOld like this.
  45. Onigiri

Onigiri

Not in the nearest future... Full pure Dots renderer is a big task and will take a few years of development. Right now they are focused mainly on hybrid workflow and renderer

Gekigengar and phobos2077 like this.
  46. iamarugin

iamarugin

Will RenderMesh be the only way to render something using HybridRenderer V2? The problem is that RenderMesh is a SharedComponentData and if you have only unique meshes in the game, you will have poor chunk utilization.

In my case every surface quad has unique Mesh but the same material and there are more than 400 of them in any given moment. I am rendering all that staff using Graphics.DrawMesh() and it takes almost 1ms on i7-9700k only for this api call for all quads.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  47. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

When can we expect srp 9.0 to drop in unity?

48. Opeth001

Opeth001

im not an expert in rendering stuff, but the whole performance gain you will get from any Hybred Renderer is using ECS to organize rendering Data in a way that you can easly process it in parallel and safely. (Frustum Culling ...)
    i think the best way in your case is maybe to do the Frustom culling in parallel jobs (dont try to process them by chunk but by entities for your case).
    after collecting rendered Entities try to merge their Meshs using the new "Unity 2020.1" mesh API it will be easy for you cause you have a signle shared material for all of them.

[EDIT]
    you can also create your own RenderMesh SCD which splits chunks by materiel or any other stuff (depends of your game) and store the mesh as CD for each entity using blobs.
    try to take a look at the new Mesh API which ports Meshs as blittable data inside Bursted Jobs and merge them.
    this way you can use Graphics.DrawMesh() to draw all of them in a single draw call.

Note: Generally Games try to reuse resources like meshs, Textures ... as maximum as possible for performance reasons so honestly i dont think Unity will focus on this case and make a whole logic for it. (not in the near future)
    so the best way is to create your own logic reusing features from the current Hybred Renderer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    phobos2077 and iamarugin like this.
  49. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

I am currently experiencing this issue with v1. Do you know if v2 handles this differently and fixes it that way? Many thanks in advance!

50. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thanks for suggestions. I am already making culling using burst and jobs and simply not generating stuff that camera is not seeing (I am generating Earth in real scale, that's why there are so many quads in the camera view). As for mesh merging - it is great idea, but unfortunately not for space simulators, where player usually moves very fast. But I will definitely look into HRv2 source code and see, what I can reuse for my case.

phobos2077 and Opeth001 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.