Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid Renderer not supported?

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Kaegun, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Kaegun

Kaegun

I'm trying to upgrade a 2021 DOTS project to 2022 and am getting compile time errors from the Hybrid Renderer. I can't see an explicit, "don't use the Hybrid Renderer", or here's how to use the HR with 2022, so what am I missing?

My latest errors:
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.11.0-preview.44\Unity.Rendering.Hybrid\HybridV2RenderSystem.cs(66,23): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'HybridV2' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity.Rendering' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.11.0-preview.44\Unity.Rendering.Hybrid\HybridV2Culling.cs(237,28): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'BatchVisibility' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

akyoto_official likes this.
  2. nasos_333

nasos_333

You are in URP pipeline ?

I remember i had started a project for a new store asset in URP with Hybrid and DOTS only to abandon it because Unity announced wont be supporting this combination in future versions, i think starting with 2021, making the whole thing practically useless as for my assets need to support future Unity versions as well.

Check this also
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hybrid-renderer-v2-0-4-0.847546/page-14#post-7037548

"Unity just announced that the Entities package (which the Hybrid Renderer is dependent on) is not supported on any version of Unity 2021"

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

I can confirm that Hybrid is not working in Unity 2021 and above after working weeks on a new system and contacting Unity support many times to find the solution and the issue was that DOTS and Hybrid are not supported together in Unity 2021 and 22.

Same is said in the thread linked also

"2022 introduces breaking changes with regards to 0.17 hybrid rendering, ergo any package supporting 2021 and 2022 would need to account for both "paths" which might be possible but I think unlikely."

"I can't tell you whether 0.50 is going to be compatible with 2022 LTS, but it is also my understanding that Hybrid Rendering has breaking changes in 2022 and that it will require some update. I do not know whether this will mean that 0.50 is going to be incompatible or is going to get patched with a separate codepath."

So unfortunately the system is useless in the general case and there is no way to know will ever get out of this state.

4. So you stopped reading as soon as you got what you were looking for, just like you stopped for checking the truth when a rando' on the forum said Unity is abandoning everything...
    Here, let me help you out, what you need to know about what they are planning. This is in the OP on the link I provided above.
    Obviously ANY package dependent on ECS will follow suit.

Since they clearly stated that ECS isn't compatible with anything later than 2020LTS for the time being, it is unreasonable to expect that have an ECS project in 2021 let alone upgrade it to 2022.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Agreed, this is the issue though, that when unity comes out with extreme advertisement of amazing performance years ago and still we are years away from anything that works, is a true abandoning of the system for years.

So they should be less vocal on the work until is usable so we dont loose our time. That is the main point, that if you show something cool and talk a lot about it, better be usable in next few months or better weeks, otherwise everyone will feel strange about it.

Also better have working demos, because now to convert an older demo to new versions need a PhD in Dots and entities. Without counting that demos simply cant work with new Unity, which is also vastly strange way of development. The term would be undevelopment.

Maybe i am just a bit upset loosing a month trying to figure out why nothing works, then had to surgically extract the preciously kept info that going forward nothing will work by Unity choice and have to wait for some road map that may or may not be realized or be after a decade maybe.

6. ll3v3ll

ll3v3ll

Unity 2021.2.7f1 WORKING -- (?) which, according to most sources, should NOT WORK. [ See Image ]
    Unity 2022.1.0b2 BROKEN -- (!) the same project, upgraded to this, breaks with the same errors as OP.

Screenshot from 2022-01-15 08-06-58.png

7. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Unity said that last week:
    • Entities 0.50 is a breaking change from 0.17, and 1.0 will be a breaking change from 0.50.
    • Entities 0.50 is only planned to be compatible with 2020 LTS and 2021 LTS.
    • Entities 1.0 is only planned to be compatible starting with 2022 LTS and following releases.
    We can then assume that Unity 2022.1 won't support DOTS at all, while 2021.3 (LTS) will with 0.50. 2022.3 will with 1.0. Also they haven't said anything in regards to hybrid rendering so finger crossed they do not trash it.

8. runner78

runner78

It could well be that 0.50 works on 2022.1, albeit unofficially. Like now 0.17 on 2021.x. We'll see that after release.