Search Unity

Bug Hybrid Renderer Entities Invisible Until Selected In Entity Debugger

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by d11joshuam, Sep 25, 2022.

1. d11joshuam

d11joshuam

We have a very consistent issue where entities drawn with hybrid renderer (tested on 3.0.6 to 3.2.0-pre.3) are invisible, or otherwise do not update (for example, we have a system where entities are renderered, but a system used to update their rotation through the companion system completely fails to update their rotation- which I believe is related to hybrid, not the system itself, as the values are seemingly updated).

Have been digging into this for a while but as far as I can tell, the batches are fine, and upon selection, no new GPU upload operations are piped through the hybrid renderer update. Hybrid appears to add new batches for these when first run.

It's totally consistent as they are either invisible or have issues updating, but as soon as a single entity is selected through the entity debugger, the inspector loads it, and then seemingly everything for that archetype (maybe just that chunk, not many of them) runs fine. This is reproducible for all team members who have tested.

I cannot attach a repro project so this is a bit of a long shot, I'm just generally asking in the hope that anyone else may have seen similar behaviour.

Cheers

2. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

I would suggest taking a RenderDoc capture of the scene, to see whether the draw calls for the entities are present or not, which might give more clues as to what is going wrong.

Are the entity transforms updated every frame, or are they updated once?

Are the entities converted from GameObjects, or generated from code? If it's the latter, it's possible that some required component is missing.

3. d11joshuam

d11joshuam

Oops, typo- yeah, Entities 0.51, hybrid 0.51 (also tested on 0.50)- those are the TextMeshPro versions I'd been testing with so had them stuck in my head.

We have another symptom I've been capturing where they do draw but some instances are e.g. in the wrong position until selected in the entity debugger, I'm assuming I've been unable to catch it for whatever reason but I don't see any of hybrid's buffer uploads when that happens.

Will be breaking out the big guns next, just wondered if anybody had come across anything similar.