Search Unity

Hybrid Renderer and SpeetTree objects

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by conlanstewart, Jun 11, 2022.

1. conlanstewart

conlanstewart

At the moment, we have a bunch of SpeedTree 7 trees that I'm turning into billboards to use as entities, however, I could really use more than just billboards. I realize the SpeedTree 7 trees are not SRP batcher compatible, but really I just need the models, I don't need the things that cause (to my understanding) the shader to not work like wind. We currently don't have anybody working on models, so I can only really work with what I've got. Is there anyway to either A.) make just the model of a SpeedTree 7 tree work or B.) somehow alter my SpeedTree 7 trees to keep the model, and just ditch the extra SpeedTree stuff.

I found this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/srp-batcher-for-speed-tree.1084955/ where somebody at the very end talks about removing the "tree" component from all of their prefabs as a work around. I tried this, but it didn't seem to do much for me.

Thanks so much for any clarification or guidance

2. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

If you have the mesh of the speedtree as a separate asset, you should be able to use it with any shader as a normal renderer.

Alternatively, you can try editing the SpeedTree 7 shader to make it SRP Batcher compatible (by looking at SRP Batcher compatibility error messages in the Shader inspector). Especially if you don't need most of the special functionality, this could be doable by removing parts that are difficult to make compatible, in case there are any.