Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Humble game development book bundle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eses, Sep 18, 2018.

1. eses

eses

Hi,

this might not be as interesting bundle as Humble Unity bundle, but they started new book bundle, which is mostly Unity books (and some C++/UE/Blender books/videos):

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/game-development-books

Books are from Packt publishing. Think I have few books from them, and those were not too high quality...

Also, does anyone have opinion about Unity books in the bundle? I was thinking maybe getting this bundle because of 2D, AI and game development and patterns books.

2. ikazrima

ikazrima

Skimming through the ToC of Unity 2017 Game Optimization, seems to cater more to beginners.

Also, from Chapter 8, Memory management performance enhancements
    This only applies to Unity < 5 cycle. Seems like a few info might be outdated.
    Or maybe I'm wrong and I shouldn't judge the book just by a few excerpts. :)

But personally I think that the knowledge in there is just a few google searches away.

Edit : The AI looks interesting though.

3. Caruos

Caruos

Any feedback on these books ? I would be interested by "Game Development Patterns and Best Practices" and "Game Optimization", but from my experience these kind of books tend to be... "hit and miss" to be polite...

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

My experience with Packt is that their books are generally not worth the time it takes to read them.

5. Che4Cuba

Che4Cuba

Saw this and bought it the other day, even if it's outdated or "hit and miss", it's still cheap educational material, can't go wrong

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

On the contrary you can definitely go wrong with an outdated or bad book because the target audience is almost never people who already know the information presented in the book and won't know why it's incorrect and to avoid using it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. FMark92

FMark92

>books

8. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I didn't buy them because they're outdated, which is probably why they were put on sale.