Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Humanoid Rig without hands?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Zeclown, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Zeclown

Zeclown

Hey! I'm fairly new to unity and I tried to use mechanim for the first time! The problem is that my model is a basic stickman stickman.png . As you can see, it doesn't have any foot or hand, both of which are required for the Humanoid Rig. I don't know if this is why but I have a problem with my walk animation not playing at all if it is not set on the generic animation rig. I want to benefit from the perks of working with the humanoid rig. Any solutions without adding hands and feet to my mesh?

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hand and feet are optionnal in mecanim but you need at least to define an ankle and a wrist.

3. Zeclown

Zeclown

Thanks a lot for you time! I added the bones you told me and it's working pretty fine! The only problem now is that my mesh is getting a lot of weird deformations that seems to be on the unity side of things. Here is my mesh in position in blender, handling it pretty fine Untitled2.png Untitled1.png . And here it is when I add basic animations to it in unity Untitled3.png Untitled.png . Does it have something to do with my bone constraints not being enforced in unity?

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

If you are using some special blender constraint to animate your character you will need to bake all this to standard FK animation( position/rotation/scale). Unity cannot implement every constraint from every 3d tools to support all case.

I'm not a blender power user but we do have some user on the forum here that could help you to bring your rig inside Unity like @medhue which always give good answer.