Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Humanoid bone parsing

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by snacktime, Mar 1, 2020.

1. snacktime

snacktime

I don't want to get too much into detail but with the new DOTS animation stuff a couple of utilities would really be helpful.

- Utility method that takes an array of bones and returns a HumanDescription or error.

- A Utility that extracts a generic animation from a humanoid model.

Alternatively, some way to automate converting a humanoid model to generic would suffice for both of the above.

The flow I want is to start with an animation on a humanoid model and be able to automate the processing and data creation that DOTS needs with a single click. But I can't figure out a way. Like I need a bone mapping of source to destination bones, but the only reliable way I know of is map between their HumanDescription. But then DOTS wants generic animations. So it all gets way more complex then it really needs to be without these additional tools. Or it could be I'm just missing some existing tools or api's.

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

@snacktime
    Hi, we didn't put any effort into converting a humanoid rig to DOTS, and this is not planned for short term.

The easiest way would be to convert your imported animation from humanoid rig to generic rig.

If you are looking for a way to retarget your animation in dots animation we do have the RigRemapper which allow you to retarget your animation from one rig to another one. In the image below the yellow skeleton is retargeted on Ellen.

This samples is part of the Dots animation sample project and is called Retarget
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Unity.Animation.Samples
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...nHDRPExamples/Assets/Scenes/Examples/Retarget

retarget.png

hugokostic likes this.
  3. snacktime

snacktime

Right I started with those samples. I'm using humanoid avatars and HumanDescription to auto generate the bone mappings that RigRemapQuery needs.

I think starting with humanoid makes more sense even in the context of a specific game. Leveraging HumanDescription is just one example. Like if you want to be able to use third party animations which is the whole point of retargeting, you also have to solve for things like converting relaxed to strict tpose. And again being in humanoid form the existing utilities can help you out there.

andreiagmu and Radivarig like this.
  4. Radivarig

Radivarig

Any news on this?

5. CybeRock

CybeRock

hi,,

anyone care to elaborate more or share some experience retargeting animations in Unity DOTS Animation Package?

andreiagmu likes this.
  6. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

7. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

Hi! I managed to do retargeting animations in DOTS. :)
    I'm just finishing a few more tests on that system, then I'll share instructions on how to achieve that retargeting.

8. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

JohngUK likes this.