Search Unity

Question Humanoid animations slightly off

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Sameer1472, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Sameer1472

Sameer1472

info about recreating the issue at the bottom

The problem
    :

When animation type is set to Humanoid in unity, the animations do not line up exactly with the actual animation/pose. Sometimes the differences are very noticeable such as a thumb sticking out instead of holding onto a gun, other times its less noticeable but still unacceptably noticeable.

Besides that there are sometimes other differences such as legs being twisted inwards ever so slightly

What I've tried thus far:
    • I ensured the mapping in the humanoid configuration is correct,
    • I have set the muscle settings to allow for the maximum movement that can possibly be set,
    • I have recalculated the bone roll in blender by going into front orthographic view and then recalculating it to the view axis
    I have tried a bunch of other things since I've been trying to resolve this for about 5 days now that I can't remember at this point.

Examples:
    (image of a low poly hand, notice the thumbs, using the same animation)
    Comparison.jpg

(Image of low poly character, humanoid on the right side, both using the exact same animation and taken from the exact same angle. Notice the rotations of the finger)

comparison 2.jpg

How to recreate:

Download code from github: pheeya/humanoid-problem (github.com)

If you're unfamiliar with github just click on the green "Code" button and then at the bottom of the popup that opens click "Download Zip"

Once downloaded, extract the files then open unity hub and click "Add". Locate the project and you should be able to open it using unity hub

adjust your camera so that you can see from a similar angle from the second photo above, click pause first and then hit play while keeping an eye on the hand , if nothing happens use the next frame (step) button which is on the right side of the pause button. You should see a change in rotation in the fingers even though its the exact same pose that I imported from blender.

In this case the difference might be subtle but you will definitely notice it, in a lot of other cases the difference is far too much.

Again, the animations look perfectly fine if the animation type is set to generic.

You can also find the blender file in the unity project assets folder incase it can help someone find a problem. Thankyou in advance and thankyou if you took the time to read the whole thing!

Syriph likes this.
  2. Syriph

Syriph

I have the same issue. Did you ever find out what was going on?