Search Unity

Humanoid animations and bone hierarchy

Discussion in 'Animation' started by bradhe, Aug 27, 2019.

1. bradhe

bradhe

Hey all, I've got a model I found off the internet with a bunch of pre-packaged animations that are great! I've been trying to import in to Unity as a humanoid but the bone hierarchy isn't quite right for it--the foot bones have the wrong parent (specifically, they are parented to the hips).

Obviously, I can just pop open Blender and move the bones' parents; however, this really messes up the animations! What are my options on the Unity side (if any) without changing the bone hierarchy but still using the Animator?

2. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Try remapping in the bone mapping tool?

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 7.26.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 7.24.38 PM.png

Attached Files:

3. bradhe

bradhe

> Try remapping in the bone mapping tool?

Unfortunately can't--I can remap it, but if the Lower Leg transform is not explicitly a parent of the Foot transform then it won't map properly to HumanoidDescriptor (as far as I can tell at least!).

4. Korvacs

Korvacs

To all people in the future...
    I stumbled upon this problem today and I was able to solve it using the FBX Exporter package.
    Despite being well documented you may not be able to connect the dots in a simple google search.

Here is the specific section that is related to our actual problem:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.formats.fbx@5.0/manual/prefabs.html

Quick step by step:
    1. Install package
    2. Drag your .fbx to your hierarchy
    3. Unpack it with RMB > Prefab > Unpack
    4. Edit the bone hierarchy
    5. RMB > Convert To FBX Prefab Variant
    6. In my case I had to uncheck Compatible Naming. Animations were partially working
    7. Now with your new .fbx file, under Import Settings, you can set Animation Type to Humanoid and set Avatar Definition to Create From This Model and everything should be ok

Note: if you also want to transfer your animations to your new .fbx file you have to assign an Animator component to it and drag all your desired animations to this Animator before the conversion.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Sluggy likes this.