Search Unity

Huge ram consumption (25GB) in editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by roundyyy, Dec 1, 2020.

1. roundyyy

roundyyy

Hello, I have a huge problem with my scene. Sometime today editor started to act very slow with no reason. When I checked task manager memory usage is about 25GB on this scene, I don't know what happened, didn't do anything unusual , removed all scripts that I added today and some assets. Still huge consumption, nearly impossible to do anything in editor, any operation like click on something takes ages. Even If I remove all objects from scene, nothing changes. Do you know where can I start to troubleshoot? I have a backup, but it's over 50 working hours ago, so will loose lot of progress if I go back. All editor scripts are removed, don't know what to do else... I'm kind of depressed now :(
    Any ideas would be highly appreciated. Unity version 2018.4.12. Thank you in advance!

2. roundyyy

roundyyy

ah, I forgot about 1 thing, I had short power outrage, scene was not saved. Removed whole library folder, recompiled everything again, still unusable

3. mgear

mgear

does profiler show anything interesting (for memory usage?)

Joe-Censored and roundyyy like this.
  4. roundyyy

roundyyy

Not possible to run it, nothing really responds.I was wondering is there any asset that could export whole inspector parent of gameobjects where most of them were generated by mesh baker (meshes saved in scene) and export to completely new scene? Maybe that could work. Also opened project in 2020 (2018 is the one I work with due to nature of project) and same problem with memory usage, so definitely there is something wrong in scene itself

5. mgear

mgear

roundyyy likes this.
  6. roundyyy

roundyyy

checked, nothing suspicious there

7. mgear

mgear

roundyyy likes this.
  8. roundyyy

roundyyy

Ok, I think I've got it sorted, Removed about 5000 tress, they were combined to huge meshes (250k), and these meshes were also LODed with mesh simplifier. They were there for couple days and didn't cause troubles, but looks like at some stage their memory consumption grew exponentially for some reason. So far so good. Thank you mgear for your time and ideas :)

9. Antypodish

Antypodish

Btw, use revision control. Seems you are not using, judging after OP first post.
    Is much easier to track for changes.
    Obvious matter is, to look for last thing that has changed in project, before something went wrong.

Glad you resolved the problem.

Joe-Censored and roundyyy like this.
  10. roundyyy

roundyyy

Thank you, I will look at it, I started to use Unity this year so still on steep learning curve :)

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Version control isn't a specific Unity thing. It is an industry standard software dev thing. It can seem intimidating, confusing, and unnecessary at first, that is until you run into a few of this kind of problem where you'd solve the issue with version control in minutes instead of hours or days. At minimum though, start creating regular backups.

roundyyy likes this.