Search Unity

huge file size for character model and animations

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by reset, Sep 5, 2009.

1. reset

reset

Hi there

I am using the Evolver and Animeeple online software to produce characters and animations exported to an FBX file - there are only three animations to the file. Yet I am getting file sizes that sit around 2.7 meg! Is this usual? How do you create online multiplayer games with many characters if the game size could be so large?

thanks

2. Tempest

Tempest

EVE Online is like 4.7GB. A much smaller MMO (only a few hundred players), is over 1 GB. Game size has nothing to do with it being multiplayer or not.

You're not transmitting the entire model over the network. You're transferring something much much smaller, such as locations, states, etc. Typically the game is installed, with almost all the resources for visualizations on the client side. The animated models are on their local computer, not being send by your server.

3. reset

reset

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of some of the smaller web-plugin multiplayer games - I think that Sherwood Dungeon http://maidmarian.com/SherwoodDungeon.htm is only 3-4mg in size and contains quite a few character models and animations.

4. Tempest

Tempest

I doubt the entire game though is saved within those 3-4mb. Probably the initial loading stuff, the 'core' stuff, but not everything.

To do this with Unity, you could stream new levels/characters/areas/animations/etc as the player explores the area they're in, or about to go into to. This requires Pro, to access assetbundles, but that is one way of tackling a browser-mmo with that much content.

5. lionjin

lionjin

The size based on the poly count and animation length. I have a FBX character model with 5000 poly without animation ,which size is about 700K ,but the size will be compressed by Unity3D to very small when make a build.Generally speaking ,for a web game ,1000-3000 poly is sufficient for a character ( PS2 standard )

Based on my experience ,most size come from textures instead of models.