Search Unity

Huge delay when pressing the play button.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wusticality, Jun 23, 2019.

1. wusticality

wusticality

Hello,

I have an empty project with most of the engine disabled save the ECS. With an empty scene and no entities, clicking the play button takes nearly 5 seconds or so before entering which seems crazy.

I'm running 2019.2.0b6 on a brand new Macbook Pro with a totally maxed cpu / memory / io. I used to run Unity on my older Macbook Pro with no issues.

Any leads? It's a very frustrating user experience.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. ManuelSegura

ManuelSegura

In my experience, this time is always there and don't get bigger over time even when the project gets big.

If you are talking about compiling time, that occurs every time you select unity after editing a script, it's different. It will get worse the more things you add to the project, but not THAT bad. I have like 50 scripts in my project and have gone from 2 seconds to 3 or something like that.

Also, have in mind that:
    You are using a beta version.
    You are using a mac.​

3. wusticality

wusticality

This happens even with
    This happens even with the regular version. On the Mac comment, this machine is more powerful than most PCs. Going to try and do some editor profiling so I can see what's going on.

4. ManuelSegura

ManuelSegura

I really doubt it have to do with the hardware or pc/mac versions. It's just unity compiling stuff prior to play. You can check your drivers, system updates, try other unity version... maybe you find something that reduce the delay, but I really think this behaviour is normal and unavoidable.

5. wusticality

wusticality

Yeah man, I'm an engine programmer myself, there's something not right going on.

Any Unity devs around? Happy to provide logs.

6. SomeoneSalty

SomeoneSalty

Please assist us with this question. If I knew how to tag a unity dev I would. @UnityDev3D ? idk but I click play and it waits like 3-4 seconds before starting...