Search Unity

HUD Navigation System | Radar - Compass Bar - Indicators - Minimap

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SickscoreGames, Apr 23, 2018.

1. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

3. meleejohn

meleejohn

Hey Guys,

I've been using the HNS for about a month or so now and I just stumbled across this problem with no idea how it was caused or how to fix it. When my scene loads in and the player is allowed to move the HUD objects will jitter and move all over the screen and will not stay in their spot on their object. Attached is a photo of what it looks like, each enemy has one on themselves but can be seen on the left side of the screen where here aren't any enemies. Any idea as to what causes it/to fix it?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KoLixHLnPyiLWMzj3k0YdEBj1e_QSb6G/view?usp=sharing
    Thanks

4. namdo

namdo

Can I change minimap in runtime as its important for me. First floor has it's own minimap, second floor has it's own minimap and third floor has its own minimap

5. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

6. Gua

Gua

@SickscoreGames is it possible to add 3d space icons for loot that fade in when player is near the object using HUD Navigation System?

Is it possible to not show icon if there some object between camera and loot. Here's example where icon doesn't get shown when there a car door or window between loot and camera.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. dl290485

dl290485

I followed the instructions (there aren't many) and have no idea why the indicator is not on the target. It acts a bit weird like it's rotating around an axis or something, so it's WAY off a few meters away (eg; pointing to the top right corner or the screen when the target is directly in front on the ground) but when you get point blank you can find a view angle that makes the marker converge on the target.

I have attached a screen shot. It shows the wood pile with the Indicator Element, but the actual indicator is at the top right of the screen.
    marker-off.jpg

8. dl290485

dl290485

I did a test where I put a single camera in the scene and set it as both the controller and camera in the quick setup. That worked. So I've figured out my issue is with how my third person character is set up with the camera not mounted on the controller.

What am I supposed to do about it though? Is @SickscoreGames even providing support anymore?

9. Gua

Gua

10. Gua

Gua

He just responded through the email, so I advise you to contact him through the email (contact@sickscore.games)

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  11. cloverme

cloverme

Great asset, works nicely... well done.

The DontDestroyOnLoad function causes problems where character controllers and dynamic utilities (like save/load code) assume the GameObjects are loaded on player death, etc. Commenting lines 123-133 in HUDNavigationSystem.cs fixes the issue.

12. vertexx

vertexx

OK then. Tried Emailing at the address shown..
    Nothing.
    So here we go: What does the "Scene Manager" do?
    Why should it be used?
    When should it be used?
    How is it used?
    What if it's not used?

Where to attach it? To the Player xform?
    Camera? Where?..and then what?

Where is there any info on the "Scene Manager?

Minimap
    How do you get the indicators to show up in the minimap?
    For me..attaching the script to the object/s concerned allows the indicators to be seen everywhere they should ..except in the minimap!
    Should that "scene manager" be used for this apparent fault?

"Zooming in" with the minimap sliders does not maintain that level , but the map goes back to some default on runtime?
    Lots more to ask.

Amazing to me that Unity allows assets like this to continue to be offered for sale when their is no feedback site or contact to ask questions.
    But I guess a quick buck for someone.!

Refund? Any clues?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  13. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I got it because I wanted a compass and figured I would get more for my money.

But end the end, I’ve only used the compass. Tried to get the indicators to work but had issues so I’ve given up, at least for now. Haven’t had a use for map or radar yet.

Thankfully the compass is basically plug and play.

14. magique

magique

Indicators are easy to set up. If you need any help, I can try to help you.

15. vertexx

vertexx

Dragging prefabs, setting up that Scene manager correctly. Attaching scripts and attaching the correct Prefabs to your own objects. Changing scenes. Modifying sizes that will stay that way during runtime.
    All of these essential little things are either not mentioned at all or simply described in such bad detail as to be senseless and useless.
    Where are you Mr Developer?.
    And Unity..Have you no funds available to employ someone to actually check up on these things before offering such rubbish for sale? Come on now. We are your customers after all.
    Its getting very close to fraud. Certainly deception.

16. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks Magique!
    I had them working but they were bouncing around on both the compass and on screen when close or far away.
    It seemed stable at first, but then started bouncing left and right.

Have you seen this happen?

I used the indicators from the demo. But I have a large terrain, veg studio and terrain with landscape builder.
    I want to get them working to help navigate the large terrain.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

17. magique

magique

I thought you were having trouble just setting it up, but this is a bit different. No, I've never seen this issue before. But I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bouncing around. Maybe a video would help. I also have smaller terrains so not sure if that's an issue.

18. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Ok thanks.

It was kind of weird.
    When I turned, the indicator would not stay centered on the target. If I moved the indicator would move, even if the target was at the center. It was strange.

It was a trial, I'll try it again when I get further along.
    I might try it again soon. I'm setting up an island chain and will boat to each island and the indicators will help find the treasure, etc.
    I'm getting close to needing it again, so I'll let you know.:)

David

magique likes this.
  19. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Just FYI: you can change the script execution order in your unity settings. The navigation system depends on camera position, so it needs to update after all your camera movement scripts.

20. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Where do I make that change? Sounds like it might help my issue.

21. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Edit-> Project Settings -> Script Execution Order

Click the + at the Bottom, add SickScoreGames.HUDNavigationSystem.HUDNavigationSystem. It should appear somewhere at the bottom, where it should be. You're probably safe to keep it at the end. I needed it after Cinemachine.Brain

22. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

23. Gua

Gua

Hm... Asset got updated recently. By the way I've discovered one issue with HUD Navigation System. I'm posting it here for everyone who might get affected by it.

It seems that HUD Navigation System doesn't work correctly if Canvas is set to Pixel Perfect.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  24. topofsteel

topofsteel

I have multiple cameras that I need to switch between, what is the best way to accomplish this? Would I create a separate game object and add the HUD Navigation System component to that and switch between them programmatically? Or add the HUD Navigation System component to each camera setup i'm using? Thanks.

25. leventalpsal

leventalpsal

I've been trying to use use your HUD Navigation System asset on a split screen game. There are up to 4 players dividing the screen by 2x2. I want to use HNS and have each user its own compass, indicator and other HNS features. The scripts use singleton approach and doesn't support this feature. I believe that @SickscoreGames can and should implement this feature.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  26. OverGast

OverGast

Oh wow, this an amazing asset and only see questions and complains here :scream: So I got it and implemented to my project it was everything set-up and working in less than 15 minutes, no issues so far and flowing smoothly and nicely. For all of ye having issues with it, you have demo scenes and lots of example in there. Is intuitive to implement so not a big deal, just check whatever is attached to which object in the demo scene, and try to simulate in your scene, trial and error untill you get it properly and with your settings, so customizable btw. As I said it only took me 15 min even without reading documentantion (something that ye should definitely do, that's why is there). Hope this help!

27. OverGast

OverGast

Well, it can depend on camera position or your player position, or whatever prefab you want it to depend, i don't have the asset open right now, but i think it was in Navigation System you have the choice to make it work based on camera or based in the controller (player, or the object you want it to be)

28. manurocker95

manurocker95

Need help with one more issue (hope anyone can help me), my game map is -Z for north and +Z for south (because of some initial development) and the minimap and radar are displayed upside down, is there an easy way to change this?

In addition, I need to know how to use it when multiple scenes are loaded (for big maps I use multiple small scenes that are loaded and unloaded). Is this supported?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  29. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

Hey,

I'm trying to change the on- and off-screen icon of an indicator prefab for my enemies, to highlight the currently targeted one. I've got a function that returns the current enemy target, which provably works, and I'd like to update the icon for this particular enemy in the easiest and fastets way possible.

So I started out trying the callbackscript way, using the exampleCallbackScript as a base. Not happening. While I can call the enemy and get data, like...

Code (CSharp):
    1. HUDNavigationElement element = FindClosestEnemy().gameObject.GetComponent<HUDNavigationElement>();
    2. Debug.Log(element);
    ...the result is that...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ExampleCallbackScript.ChangeIndicatorIcons(HUDNavigationElement);
    ...complains that "'HUDNavigationElement' is a type, which is not valid in the given context".

Any ideas? :) I kind of feel like there should be an *easier* way to do this, it's pretty much basic functionality...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    combatsheep likes this.
  30. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

Ok I guess noone has tried to do this v basic thing, and I guess the dev is AWOL still.

I went ahead and solved it in a not very pretty way, but for prototyping purposes it'll do. I am gonna write the process down in case someone searches for a similar solution. Here's how I accomplished it:

How to make a targeting overlay:

1. Make one empty game object, and assign an indicator prefab to it. Name it activeTarget or similar, and give it whatever icons and parameters you require. For me it's just a visual overlay to let the players know which target they are locked on to.

2. Pick your target using whatever game code you have. For me it's a function that returns the closest enemy in front of the player object.

3. activeTarget.transform.position = FindClosestEnemy().transform.position;

There's gotta be a better way, but until then...

31. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

How do I set the Indicator radius higher than 500? I suspect there's a default preferences somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, and AFAIK there's nothing in the documentation...

Any ideas?

32. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

Ok, so I've looked around in the scene manager config file, and I can clearly just edit this line:

indicatorRadius: 10

. Problem is I don't know what else needs editing as the file holds a lot of data. Is there a way of generating a scene config from my current setup?

33. OverGast

OverGast

Suposse depends what you need you will have to edit or not. There's lots of code and all in static class, so you gotta know what you doing, a small change can make it to not work anymore :D

34. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

But do you not find it problematic that what is obviously a large chunk of functionality is completely undocumented? FWIW I saw your post earlier about people complaining and that this is a great asset, and I 100% agree that this is indeed a very easy to use and flexible system, but at the same time: the code for configs has already been written, why not spend 10 minutes writing up the instructions so we can actually use it without having to skim through the code and guessing/experimenting?

As it happens, I found out how to create new configs, and I will write up a short guide in a minute (on the laptop right now) but there's seemingly no control over what is being written into the config values if they fall outside of default settings.

(I did go and edit the value for the indicator radius manually, and while it works, I got some strange frame drops that could or could not be related. Will investigate further...)

35. Notso

Notso

So...what happened to the instantiated player setting?
    I see no way to reference it, someone told me it use to have a drop down or checkbox that let you use Tag or Layer to grab players. Is this gone?

36. KarlLakner

KarlLakner

37. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

So, let me not bother asking help regarding my issue as it seems:
    SickscoreGames was last seen:
    Mar 2, 2019
    a pitty.

38. Freznosis

Freznosis

Unity Forum notifications are not reliable so you should use the dedicated support email for the reason it exists. They are pretty active outside of the Unity Forum.

39. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi Just got this, works fine. But is there a way to change the minimap zoom keys/buttons. Currently in the demo they are N/M but they dont work in my scene. I also want to change them to D-Pad up and down if thats possible?

Any ideas appreciated, thanks

40. t1000

t1000

I am using a Dungeon style camera which follows the player, but the arrow or prefab indicating the player does not rotate properly on the minimap (or radar).

If I switch to player it does weird stuff rotating de minimap because of the player moving abruptly and if I use "camera" then the player indicator does not actually rotate or has a wrong rotation because it follows the player in a particular style from "far", the player is a third person player.

41. Carmexx

Carmexx

Hi,
    I upgraded from hud 2.0.1 unity 2018.3, to hud 2.0.3 unity 2019.2.17f1 and the only thing that did not work is the minimap icon/elements. Icons no longer appear on the minimap, I checked and rechecked and I cannot see anything that got missed during the upgrade. No missing references. Comparing settings to 2.0.1 everything looks the same.

Has anyone else has an issue with missing minimap icons in 2.0.3 ?

Kind Regards

Carme
    p.s. I mailed the dev and will update if he replies.

42. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I am using 2019.2.17f1 and have not seen any issues and the icons appear in the header bar and the radar but cannot remember whether they appeared in the minimap.

I believe there is a setting to choose to see icons in the minimap/radar etc but not sure if its working or not. Sorry I cant be of more help. will open project and check.

ADDITION: I opened my project and checked on the ITEM in the environment on the HUD Pivot and indeed the object does not show in the minimap using the settings (bottom right of image).

hud.PNG

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  43. studentvz

studentvz

Did anyone solve this issue of missing icons/indicators on MiniMap?

Slaghton and Hawk0077 like this.
  44. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Not me, sorry

Slaghton likes this.
  45. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

I emailed the asset owner and he never responded.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  46. studentvz

studentvz

I can't figure it out, assets example scene works fine.

I noticed that the icon (element) is deactivated in canvas. When I activate it during runtime it shows icon but it is at the same position as a player icon.

47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I didn't have trouble when I first tried it out with that, but am almost to a point with this project where I will be adding the hud, so if you do figure out a solution- please share. The trouble I was having was the physical icons in the main view were jumping around, in the end, I just went with basic compass function with minor directional help. But same here, the test demo worked.

I've tried to follow the developer from when it all started on the Invector forums- when he was first developing it, but he hasn't been seen in a while and know one seems to know what happened to him. Hopefully we can get it all figured out, I am not a coder but there are a lot in here so maybe someone can get everything working for us.

48. studentvz

studentvz

I've already lost to much time on this, it does not make sense why it is working in example scene and nowhere else.

49. Slaghton

Slaghton

*This is a fix for HUD Icons*

For people trying to get minimap icons to work where they end up disabled/following player, what you need to do is go into your example player and delete entry's for Hud Navigation Scene Manager. Create a new scene configuration file in project tray, check all overrides, and drag drop map file into map settings slot. Go back to your example player into hud navigation scene manager, add new configuration, drag scene into slot, and drag your new scene file you created into other slot. That should fix the minimap issues.

*This is a fix for instantiated players*
    For a really quick fix I took the example player with the fix above, disabled the camera/controls and put it into the scene. When the scene starts it loads up the correct icons etc. Afterwards when you instantiate your player, you will parent this object to your instantiated player and place its position to 0,0,0. This will now fix all of the above issues. I might make a video or screen tutorial to make this process clearer later.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Hawk0077, studentvz and dsilverthorn like this.
  50. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Awesome!
    Thanks a lot for the help!