Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HUD Navigation System | Radar - Compass Bar - Indicators - Minimap

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SickscoreGames, Apr 23, 2018.

1. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hey,

yeah, it got rejected once. It‘s not allowed anymore to include .blend files.
    Should be live soon ;-)

Best, Markus

Weblox likes this.
  2. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi,

how you set up indicator so it is visible only when object is off screen ?
    I want to disable the indicator once the object appears on screen !

3. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

I‘d remove the onscreen icon from the indicator prefab or just set the color alpha to 0. So the indicator is basically invisible, when the object is within view.

4. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Thanks, it does the job !

SickscoreGames likes this.
  5. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Sorry about the long update duration! For everyone who can't wait any longer:
    Just send us a mail with your invoice number.
    We'll reply ASAP! ;)

@SickaGamer @sharkapps and others of course!

6. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

@Sickscore Lol. When do you expect it to be live on the asset store?

7. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

I hope tomorrow ;)

8. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi.
    Do I have to delete the previous version of the HNS, updating from ver2.0.1 to ver2.0.2?

Thanks.

9. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

No, just update, you‘ll be fine ;-)

combatsheep likes this.
  10. Gua

Gua

Just looked at the changelogs. So latest update doesn't feature fullscreen map functionality? Is it planned for next update?

11. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Yes, it‘s on the list for 2.0.3, aswell as the fog of war for the minimap #excited
    Our roadmap for 2019 is completely filled :)
    Next on the list is the VR upgrade pack, then we‘ll work fulltime on 2.0.3

ScourgeGames, digiross and Weblox like this.
  12. combatsheep

combatsheep

Thank you!

13. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @SickscoreGames,

I downloaded the v2.0.2 update and imported it into my project, but I got a compile error when building the project due to missing type SceneAsset in HUDNavigationSceneManager.cs. I noticed that this file and its corresponding editor file were new in this version, so I removed them from my project and that allowed the build to compile.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Sickscore Games/HUD-Navigation-System/Scripts/Components/HUDNavigationSceneManager.cs(102,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SceneAsset' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. 098    #region Subclasses
    2. 099:    [System.Serializable]
    3. 100:    public struct Configuration
    4. 101:    {
    5. 102:        public SceneAsset _Scene;
    6. 103:        public HNSSceneConfiguration _Config;
    7. 104:    }
    8. 105:    #endregion

14. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

What version of Unity do you use?

15. magique

magique

I am getting the same error when building stand-alone.

[EDIT]
    I am using Unity 2017.1.5f1. I had to make some code changes, specifically to Vector2Int to get it to work, but this is the highest version of Unity I can use on the Wii U. It would be nice if you could downgrade your requirements to 2017.1 to resolve these issues.

16. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Ok, I‘m making a Hotfix release 2.0.2.1. Don‘t know, how this issue bypassed our testing.
    We already have a feature branch for backwards compatibility to Unity 5.6.
    Maybe I can merge that into the hotfix release aswell.

17. magique

magique

Thank you very much.

18. magique

magique

I'm having another issue as well. For some reason, the following code in OnDisable for HUDNavigationElement is destroying my Player object that has the HUDNavigationSystem on it.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (HUDNavigationSystem.Instance != null)
    2.                 HUDNavigationSystem.Instance.RemoveNavigationElement (this);
    I have enemy prefabs in PoolBoss and when PoolBoss instantiates them and then disables them so they are available in the pool, this OnDisable is called and it somehow destroys my Player game object. I have not debugged further to determine why, but it's happening. I had to remove the HUDNavigationElement component from the PoolBoss prefab enemies to get around it for the time being.

19. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

That's really strange indeed. I just checked the code and I can't see anything, that would cause this issue.
    The HUDNavigationSystem "Main" component is on your player, right? Also check, that no HUDNavigationElement is on your player gameobject. For further investigation, can you please mail me some screenshots of your setup?

20. magique

magique

Yeah, I know. I looked at the code too and couldn't see why this was happening. I used the Quick Setup so it put the components in the correct place. And I double checked it as well. I will get the screenshots tonight when I get back home.

21. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

UPDATE NOTES:

I just submitted the "Hotfix & Compatibility" update.
    - The build issue mentioned in the previous posts is fixed!
    - Improved backwards compatibility => tested from 5.6 to 2019.1 !!!

sharkapps and magique like this.
  22. magique

magique

Thanks for the super fast fixes.

23. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Oh dang, now I'm getting super excited. Fog of war on the minimap? :D :D :D

Awesome!

24. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

Any suggestions on how to set up assemblies properly? I'm trying to put them in, getting a variety of error messages...

25. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @SickscoreGames, still having trouble with the minimap rotating wildly when the charactercontroller is moving and rotates on x and z axes. Any suggestions for how to improve?

26. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

What exactly are you trying to do? I really need more informations to help here. What does the error messages say?

I‘m pretty sure the rotation/movement of your character runs in LateUpdate and is executed after HNS. Try to move your logic to the Update routine or change the script execution order of HNS to run after your code.
    If this doesn‘t help, just mail me the code of your controller, so I can check it out myself.

Edit:
    Try to also change the Update Mode on the HUDNavigationSystem component. This might also fix your issue. We might implement a custom coroutine which runs at the end of each frame to make sure, every LateUpdate is executed before HNS is calculating the position of markers.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  27. sharkapps

sharkapps

I have different controllers depending on if the player is on foot or the vehicle the player is attached to, and all of them do rotation/movement in FixedUpdate.

I have tried both the Update and LateUpdate modes on the HUD component, but neither affects the behavior.

I recommend using the Heli Sim Pack helicopter to test your minimap in a situation where x, y and z axis will change dramatically. I cannot see why the x and z axis changes should affect minimap position at all -- the previous one I built did not have this effect because I set the map position based solely on character's x and z position and the map rotation based solely on the character's y-axis rotation.

28. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

Sure... I'll do my best. Apologies if I repeat stuff you already know here, or if I've got something wrong... :)

Unity Assemblies let me break up my scripts into modules/solutions/independent build units. One big advantage is that for larger projects it vastly reduces build time, as well as reducing/eliminating compiler warning noise from code not directly under my control (in particular, 3rd party assets). The other advantage is that it reduces using scope availability to just the declared Assembly references, which is nice for reducing auto-complete noise as well as solving some namespace collision problems.

In brief, adding a single Assembly to a folder in the project results in the project working differently - you have to start declaring references to Assemblies to bring in scripts from other folders.

Where this all goes a bit mental is when you have some scripts that are intended for use in the Editor. Unity by default treats a folder as having Editor extension scripts if the script is in a magic folder "Editor". Unfortunately, once scripts are managed by an Assembly file, the magic Editor folder seems not to work - you have to add another Assembly file for that Editor folder, and mark it as Editor specifically in the Assembly file.

If a project/plugin is using Assembly files, it will change how the project works. If you are using Assembly files, you (at a minimum) have to add one Assembly for your plugin runtime code and another for your Editor folder.

This is a pretty time-consuming process if there are a lot of Editor folders. When I started trying to add Assembly files for the HUD system, I added an Assembly file for the main code and 4 Assembly files for the Editor folders. The good news was that adding the Assembly fixed the namespace access for my main code, but it broke the HUD Element editor component when I opened the prefab using the new Unity prefab workflow. I got an error message in the console along the lines that the HUD Element wasn't available/compilable, and the HUD Element itself gave me a message that multi-object editing wasn't supported.

I'm not sure if I had something mis-configured in my assembly files, or if there was something about Assembly files + the new Prefabs that was broken. I tried tweaking the configuration of the Assembly files dependency order to no avail.

At that point, I deleted all of the assembly files in my project for now. Good news, everything is working, bad news, builds take a bit longer (which is only getting worse as the project grows). I also tweaked a couple of source files in other plugins to remove compiler noise, which I'll have to redo or something as those plugins update.

Here's what I *think* is the best option:

1) Reorganize the code into a runtime code folder, an example folder, and an editor folder
    2) Add assembly files for testing to make sure things are working properly.
    3) Document the proper assembly configuration
    4) Either a) delete the assembly files or b) include instructions for removing them for projects that don't use assembly files

Alternatively, I guess you could document the proper order for adding assemblies to the current plugin, or just add a note that assemblies aren't officially supported.

I *think* that the new Unity3D package manager has a different strategy of some kind for publishing assets that is different. So, that might be a different route depending on how things go forward.

Sorry for the stupidly long post. LMK if there is anything else I can do or if you have any additional Qs. I think all you have to do to repro is create a new empty project, add HUD, and start adding assembly files. I assume the example project would work just fine for this - LMK if you need more repro help.

29. ArkadiuszR

ArkadiuszR

Any idea for minimap in runtime? I generating dungeon and I need somehow show player corridors. Render to texture or something?

30. magique

magique

OK, so I finally figured out why my player object was getting destroyed. I'm using PoolBoss from CoreGameKit and it has Script Execution Order before Default Time so it does its setup and pooling operations before HUDNavigationSystem even gets to its Awake() function. Because Pool objects have HUDNavigationElement on them and pooled objects get disabled after being created, it therefore calls the OnDisable function of HUDNavigationElement, which has a call to check whether HUDNavigationSystem.Instance is null. This causes the HUDNavigationSystem to set the _Instance property to the one attached to the player. Now, when the Awake function finally gets run for HUDNavigationSystem it checks to see if _Instance != null. If so then it destroys that game object, which happens to be my player.

For now, I've just removed that destroy code, because I know I don't have 2 HUDNavigationSystem objects and it's safe to do so.

31. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Nice you figured it out. The destroy method has it‘s purpose tho. If you have multiple scenes, you have to make sure not to include the player in other scenes. You might have multiple players when switching scenes, because the HNSSystem is set to DontDestroyOnLoad.

Thanks for letting me know, maybe I can find a workaround in code that is update-proof for you and maybe others in the future.

magique likes this.
  32. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

That‘s not possible at the moment. The concept of the minimap is to pre-generate a customizable minimap and save drawcalls at runtime. We already looked at dynamic solutions as an alternative tho. Stay tuned!

33. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Hi @SickscoreGames .Instead of keeping the player reference at the center and move the map, is possible to keep the minimap static and move the player reference?

34. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Currently not. There's the option to rotate the player and keep the minimap static. The player is still in the center tho.
    I'll add this to the roadmap, maybe we can add this to a future release. I guess more people would love this.

Weendie-Games likes this.
  35. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

INFO
    Our new website is almost done (our current website is not even a website^^).
    We'll include a public roadmap, dev blog with latest news and code documentations.
    Stay tuned! :)

Weendie-Games, magique and digiross like this.
  36. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @SickscoreGames,

Any update on the issue I reported above with the minimap position moving incorrectly when x and z axis rotation happens?

37. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Sorry, I had no time yet to take a look at this issue. I‘ll test it and send you a fix tomorrow!
    Best, Markus

38. Bskram

Bskram

Hi,

My minimaps are quite washed out. I have generated the terrain using Gaia. Is there someway I can make the image clearer?

upload_2019-2-7_22-3-55.png

39. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe that is fog?

40. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Yes, that‘s definitely fog ;)
    Make sure to also disable all assets that apply effects to the scene in edit mode while making the texture.

41. luis29vm

luis29vm

hi this system works whit UMMORPG Asset?

42. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hi, yes of course. Just import, it will work fine ;)

43. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Any news on the fix for the dynamically instantiated player/camera problem?

This is a lovely little asset and works beautifully, but if I can't set it up dynamically I'll have to look for another solution.

44. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hey, that‘s already fixed ;)
    Have you updates to the latest version?
    Just send me a mail, if you have further problems.

45. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Really...? Must be something I'm doing wrong then.
    When I change scene and instantiate my player, the camera field is blank and cannot be populated.

It works if I instantiate in the scene, but if I move to the scene from a title screen, no dice.

Am I missing something?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  46. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

OK I'm a happy bunny now, everything is working. Just in case anyone else suffers from the same issues, I thought I'd post what I did.

I have basically de-coupled the system from my player model altogether. It seems my issues are caused by the HUD system moving anything it is attached to into the "don't destroy on load" scene. After this, all my lovingly crafted dynamic components which look for each other have a meltdown. To solve this, I have the HUD system attached to a dummy game object in the scene and reference the main camera (which is always in the scene) and the camera pivot as the player (this follows the player around anyway so it amounts to the same thing).

I understand not wanting to have duplicates of the system, but for me, the "don't destroy on load" part of the singleton pattern causes more problems than it solves, when switching scenes. I suppose that's all down to my desire to keep each scene as self contained as possible with the absolute bare minimum of persistence.

I hope I don't sound too critical, as I absolutely love the look and feel of this asset. Now I've got it working fully (and have commented out the persistence) I couldn't be happier with it.

Thank you Sickscore :D

hopeful likes this.
  47. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I have the same issue with my Invector player controller. This should be something that @SickscoreGames needs to fix.

48. magique

magique

Yep, I have it too and reported a while back.

49. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

He is actively involved on their forum.... It should not be an issue for him to talk with Invector and get it to work changing scene with their TPC.

50. John3D

John3D

Hi,

Is this mobile friendly?

Thanks!
    John