Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HUD Navigation System | Radar - Compass Bar - Indicators - Minimap

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SickscoreGames, Apr 23, 2018.

1. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

HUD Navigation System

HUD Navigation System (HNS) is the ultimate collection of the most common navigation concepts from various games. It has been continuously developed, improved and tested since 2017. HNS is modular so you can easily disable features you don't need (unused features don't affect the performance).

Just use the built-in Quick Setup window to integrate HNS into your existing projects within seconds. With components like the UI Prefab, you can easily create your own designs that can be used by the various functions of HNS. Custom transforms can be assigned in the editor and controlled by code, making it easy to implement custom logic such as item pickups or other interactions.

HNS FEATURES:
    • Radar
    • Compass Bar
    • Indicators (On/Off-Screen)
    • Minimap

LINKS:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Invector likes this.
  2. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

~ Reserved for future content ~

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. franky_li

franky_li

Hi,
    I've tested your web demo, I've downloaded and read your manual and then bought your asset and found now that the current version is missing features from demo and manual.:(

When can we expect to get version 2.0.1?

Regards

Frank

4. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hey,
    sorry about that, the version was already submitted to the store a few days ago.
    Just send me a mail, then I can send you the updated version 2.0.1.

Best, Markus

5. Invector

Invector

Great asset and developer! ;)

Weblox likes this.
  6. Ozan_2

Ozan_2

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this great asset. However, I have a problem.
    We have many scenes in our project. It seems your HUD is not set as DontDestroyOnLoad which means we have set up the radar canvas for every scene. However, upon switching scenes, nothing works. Since the camera is assigned in Awake method, cam reference is missing. I tried to find the reference in LateUpdate which is not a good way, I saw that other references are missing too.

How can we handle switching scenes without breaking anything? Should I make a public method which replicates Awake method and call it when I run each scene? Or is there any other solution to this?

Thank you!

SickscoreGames likes this.
  7. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Thanks for the issue report. That‘s actually something we overlooked while testing. I‘ll send you a fix for this issue asap.
    Please send us s mail, so we can send you the package.

EDIT:
    For everyone having the same issue, it's a really simple fix:
    Simply add "DontDestroyOnLoad (this);" to the Awake method of the "HUDNavigationSystem.cs" and the "HUDNavigationCanvas.cs". That's all :)

Fix will also be included within the upcoming update!

Best, Markus

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    ronahattingh and Weblox like this.
  8. magique

magique

Is there no way to set up a HUD Navigation system for a player that spawns into the scene instead of already being in the scene hierarchy? I'm using Invector and have a spawn point that the Invector vGameController script spawns the player at. I'm currently just forgoing the spawning and putting the player directly in the scene, but that's not a good solution because when the player dies and respawns then the problem will be there again.

d1favero likes this.
  9. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

Maybe I'm think too easily about this, but how about adding the necessary components to the player prefab and putting the HUD on a dontdestroy empty container around that player?

10. Foxcun

Foxcun

Hi, I just purchased this asset. I followed this is the step:
    1. Go to Window > Sickscore Games > HUD Navigation System > Quick Setup Window.
    2. Assign your player transform and your player camera.
    3. Click on „Start Quick Setup“ to automatically assign all necessary components.
    4. I created simple 3D box and add: Add Component > HUD Navigation System > HUD Navigation Element

After that, I just got lost. There is no Icon appear . . . Just the Compas.
    Then I copy the Demo elements in demo scene into my project. It works but how to change the Icon? and also it just support only one Icon. After I add more element then only one element that appear. Pleas assist me.

Thank You

11. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hi,

sorry about the confusion, I'm still working on a proper video tutorial :/

For the icons to appear, you simple need to assign "UI Prefabs" (see documentation) to each feature. You can assign the sample UI prefabs or can create your own. UI Prefabs basically define the look of your icons, so you can 100% customize the appearance of each icon individually if you want to ;)

For changing icons of an element simply check out the example scene, where I change the icon of the activated prisms. You can find the code within the "ExampleInteractions.cs".

If you need further help or instructions, please drop me a message at contact@sickscore.games.

Best, Markus

12. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Works this also with unity 2017.1.1f ?

regards

13. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hey,

yes it works, but the TextureCreator for the MiniMap uses Vector2Int, which requires 2017.2. I will change them to Vector2 in the upcoming update to be compatible down to 5.6 again.

I can send you a hotfix for 2017.1, if you need.

Best, Markus

14. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Yes will be good thanks

or i can change self / make the hotfix.

Regards

15. Sterner

Sterner

Hi

Is there a way to keep compass and marker on it in sync? I mean keep markers screen space 'compression' aligned with compass.
    As an example you can check Skyrim compass:

notice that markers are aligned with compass

Thanks!

16. rom317

rom317

Hi Markus,

is the Minimap Texture Creator compatible with the current version of Unity (2018.2.5f1)?

I managed to configure all icons in the radar, compass bar and on/off screen indicator.

the only thing I couldn't figure out yet was the minimap...

help?

17. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Yes will be good thanks

or i can change self / make the hotfix.

Also great would be a big map or so in pause menu like at gta or nfs ezmtc where you can set a point and it shows the way like a navigation in a real car .

you know what i mean ?

Regards

18. shindig82

shindig82

Hi ,
    Is there a way to get the compass markers to sync with the player controller in a third person camera view. Currently when my player controller rotates the compass does too but the compass indicators remain aligned with the camera which is above the player not rotating as it is a third person view. The indicators work fine just not the compass indicators. If i add a dummy camera to the player as a child then the compass indicator works but the screen indicators are all wrong. Sorry if this is a dumb question, i just cannot figure it out. Thanks

19. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hey!
    Have you tried to change the rotation reference option from Camera to Controller?
    Then the system will use the character transform for all rotations.

Best, Markus

20. shindig82

shindig82

Yeah, that is what i did, but it still seems to be using the camera instead of the character transform. you cant se it in the demo cause it is FPS.

21. Boji

Boji

Hi, is there a way to make the Minimap circular, like in Call of Duty, CS GO, etc. ?

22. pbrowne

pbrowne

Good asset so far. How can I make the compass headings semi-transparent against the game? At the moment I see

compass.png

Which at a smaller screen size, the black borders get a bit pixelated.

23. pbrowne

pbrowne

Don't know if you have done this, but you need to drag the HNS TextureCreator map profile/Texture that you created (?) into the MiniMap Settings on the Player

map.png

Daftolddad and rom317 like this.
  24. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Hello,

I am getting this message when I am changing scenes using the Invector spawnPoint scripts.

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Camera' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    SickscoreGames.HUDNavigationSystem.HUDNavigationSystem.GetRotationReference () (at Assets/Sickscore Games/HUD-Navigation-System/Scripts/Components/HUDNavigationSystem.cs:335)
    SickscoreGames.HUDNavigationSystem.HUDNavigationSystem.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Sickscore Games/HUD-Navigation-System/Scripts/Components/HUDNavigationSystem.cs:152)

25. LurchUSA

LurchUSA

Is it possible to tie your compass bar into the iOS phone compass?

So that as I move my phone around in real space, the compass updates from the phone will update the compass bar.

spikezart likes this.
  26. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Does this have fog of war minimap? So I can show only explored areas of map?

27. ashul

ashul

Is there a way to have waypoints? By that, I mean can you have a path that has 6 objective indicators to get to the end? So if there is a wall maybe a marker to get to each part of the path and they disappear and move as needed? Think of Destiny's waypoint system. That exactly!

28. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Does this asset also come with a big full map or only a mini map?
    Normally you can find a full map using key "m" in many games. Does this feature also comes with this package? If not is it planned?

Best regards
    Ronny

29. Carmexx

Carmexx

Hi, I Instantiate the player, can the player camera be assigned by code? I literally have no camera as an object, its created and assigned during run time, and yup as Ronny mentioned a minimap is tied with a bigger map on games, do you have a full map ?

Thanks

Carme

30. csofranz

csofranz

Hi,

just purchased this very interesting asset and am putting it through it's paces. I've run across a couple of issues, and - if you don't mind - have some comments and recommendations:

First, I really like the clean structure and polished looks of the asset. The demo works without a hitch on my system, and the asset nicely shows off what it can do. This is really good- except for one point, everything else (what I list below) are smaller.

First, the probably biggest let-down, is that the asset doesn't work with VR. This is because in VR the canvas is in world co-ordinates, and the scale is set to 0.009 for x,y,z and then attached to the main cam - so you can easily test that yourself even if you don't have an HMD handy.
    Actually, the compass indicator does work (N-E-S-West direction indicator), but none if the item indicators do. I checked and found that all the indicators' object positions (at least for compass and canvas, I disabled map and radar) are calculated without taking the scale of the canvas into account. Methinks you are only one transformation away from having the asset work with VR as well. I'll be happy to test if you need a guinea pig.

And here are some recommendation and/or requests:
    - the _Examples folder contains the most important prefabs. Move them into main, so they don't get overlooked
    - the 'Compass_Flight' texture is green, making it difficult to colorize. It's much more useful in white.
    - I recommend you also add the option to fade an indicator by distance, making the indicators fade/out in much more subtle. If you navigate over large terrain, optional points of interest could fade in and out while you move about, while important locations always remain visible (they don't fade with distance).
    - Since you already provide a flight compass - how about also providing an optional 'flight ladder' that shows the inclination of your player/head up/down (similar to the compass, except locked to vertical).

Cheers,
    -ch

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  31. angel_m

angel_m

What happen with the player/camera instantiated in runtime? There are several inquiries about this and It is not answered.

d1favero likes this.
  32. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

33. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Wow, the Forum notifications are not working at all! We didn‘t get a single notification that someone posted a reply.
    Just checked the settings and everything is setup correctly...

@ashulgach waypoints are one of the most requested features. Maybe they‘re already within the next update. If not, we‘ll release an extra update for this feature.

@RonnyDance fullscreen map is definitely planned and will come with a later update. For now you can maybe just scale the minimap when pressing the „M“ key. This solution worked great for us while testing.

@angel_m @Carmexx the fix for this will be included in the next update. It was a bit tricky to get to work in all scenarious.

@SickaGamer yeah sorry, we didn‘t get notifications. We‘re currently adding a forum to our new website. For now, email is the fastest option to get support. We will check more often on the unity forum!

Other posts have been answered by mail. Sorry about the confusion. We‘re already working on our new website, which will include a FAQ, documentations and a dedicated forum for each future asset.

Stay tuned, we have big plans for 2019 :)

Best, Markus

34. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Does this have fog of war minimap? So I can show only explored areas of map?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  35. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

@SickscoreGames Do you guys have a roadmap and do you have an ETA and your next update?

36. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

@NikhilUnity currently not, but maybe in a later version. Depends on the overall amount of requests.

@SickaGamer we‘re working with a roadmap internally. Requested features are planned by minor versions.
    ETA for the HNS update is next Saturday.

HNS VR will be published a few days later and needs to be reviewed by Unity first.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    UnityRocksAlt and Soulature like this.
  37. sharkapps

sharkapps

@SickscoreGames Hello I am using HNS in a driving game project but am having an issue where vertical (y-axis) movement seems to be causing the minimap and to move around strangely when turning. I could not find an option that affected this behavior. I am using the CharacterController as the rotation target.

Any help resolving this issue much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Tony

38. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Hi Tony,

let us take a look at this. If it's a bug (what it looks like to me), then we'll include a fix within the update.
    Update will be submitted today, so it should be available tomorrow.

Best, Markus

39. sharkapps

sharkapps

Sounds good. I poked around in the code a bit myself, but no luck on a solution yet.

40. pesaru

pesaru

When I press escape, I get a full screen of the map with a button that says "Play Music." It stops happening if I disable the minimap feature, but that's the only feature I'm interested in. Is this intended, and how do I disable it if it is? I can't find any documentation on that anywhere! I feel like i'm taking crazy pills.

41. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

I‘m not sure, if I understand you correctly :)
    This behaviour is definitely not caused by HNS. Do you have some other scripts attached or maybe added a callback to the minimap?
    Can you maybe add some screenshots of your setup?

42. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

Update:
    The update will be submitted tonight. Sorry about the delay, but we had a lot more work with the update than expected.
    The update has a lot of bug fixes and optimized feature handling. Multi-scene support is finally working like a charm with the ability to override settings on scene changes!

Future updates will be more frequent ;-)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SickaGamer likes this.
  43. digiross

digiross

A previous poster mentioned fog of war. Add me to the list of requests +1

44. SickscoreGames

SickscoreGames

We were already looking at this feature, but it‘s really tricky to implement in a dynamic way to fit multiple scenarious. It will definitely be added in a future release.

digiross likes this.
  45. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Just copy the way the Skyrim map works and call it a day ;)

46. rom317

rom317

Thanks for the reply!
    The project advanced in such a way that we do not need a Minimap anymore.
    Issue solved! Lol!

47. rom317

rom317

Hi everyone!

I currently need to disable / destroy the HNS Indicators after a button is clicked.

I've tried:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject PPLIndicators;
    3. public void PPLChoiceOption2()
    4.     {
    5.         PPLChoice2.GetComponent<Button>().interactable = false;
    6.         PPLTextBox.GetComponent<Text>().text = "That't it! Congratulations!";
    7.         PPLChoiceMade = 2;
    8.     }
    10. void Update()
    11. {
    12.       If (PPLChoiceMade == 2)  //This is the right answer
    13. {
    15. PPLIndicators.SetActive(false); //included PPL_HNS gameobject containing all prefabs/scripts for Radar, Compass Bar, On/Off Screen Indicators
    17. }
    Any ideas will be very welcome! (I've already burned mine!)
    Thanks!

48. pesaru

pesaru

I'm silly. My menu had a panel with a masking material applied to it, so it was revealing all of the unmasked minimap. Thanks!

49. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

@SickscoreGames Did you ever get your update in? I never seen it come across.

50. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @SickscoreGames, it seems the update is still not appearing on the Asset Store. Did the package submission go through?

d1favero likes this.