Search Unity

Hub tray icon not showing in mint 19.1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JooleanLogic, Feb 4, 2019.

1. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

I just updated my Linux Mint from 19 to 19.1 and when I close the Unity Hub, it no longer minimizes to an icon on the tray. It's still running in the process list but there's no way to access it except relaunching it.

2. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

I am getting the same issue on a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.10. I would be glad to hear of any fixes that you find.

3. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

I found a temp solution for this on mint.
    If I right click on the task bar and turn "Panel edit mode" on, the hub icon becomes visible again and remains there after turning "Panel edit mode" off again. I don't know what the equivalent on Ubuntu is.

4. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

thanks. it is using GNOME as a desktop. I don't seem to have that same option. I have an open support ticket. Unity thought the issue was a missing package (didn't fix it). Still waiting for an update from my reply to that.

5. judgementAlex

judgementAlex

This is a bug in electron.
    Try exporting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity before launching unityhub. If you have KStatusNotifierItem extension, the tray icon will appear.

6. JasonLeeKennedy

JasonLeeKennedy

I tried that, didn't work. Might be that KStatusNotifierItem extension is broken in 18.10 (I tried installing it, it just errors). I do however get tray icons for everything else that I have installed that creates a tray icon.

However, this solution does sounds similar to something I had to do on my older computer at some point.

7. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

Thanks Alex that worked for me.