Search Unity

Hub suggestion - Project Descriptors

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by PaintNPixels, Feb 11, 2019.

1. PaintNPixels

PaintNPixels

Goal
    Give the user as much information as possible to determine what a project is without having to first open/convert it.

Problem

I tend to have a lot of projects listed in Unity Hub, many which are simply sandboxes though others which are variations of active projects I'm working on. Rather than open them all and figure out what they are, I'd like to be able to have some comments/notes to give me a better idea of what they are.

Solution
    Inside hub, next to each project, give the user the ability to read certain parameters from the project that would appear in Unity Hub to the right of the project.

- Editable project description (stored as .json in project)
    OR
    - Latest few git commit headers for active branch if detected
    - Application.version

In addition, it might be useful to add small icons, either automatically or manually, which would designate certain features about the project. Perhaps a badge could show the current target platform, another could be an icon designated/set to show it's a sandbox project, and even more icons to show if it's using source control, whether or not the project has package manager updates available. Keep it simple, minimal, yet efficiently descriptive.

Rowlan likes this.
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

That would be awesome. In addition to that it could be nice to have an option with which one can make preview thumbnails / images which show up in the hub.