Search Unity

Hub related Unity Plus license issue on Mac

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by briangraf, May 20, 2019.

1. briangraf

briangraf

I'm on a Macbook Pro running fully patched Mojave. I'm also a Unity Plus subscriber. Until recently, I've been using Unity 2018.x with no license related issues. I was NOT using Unity Hub for my Unity 2018 install.

Things went wrong when I tried to update to Unity 2019.1, which pushed me to install Unity Hub for the first time. I'm using Unity Hub 2.0 at the moment, but this also happened with the previous version of Hub. I've been in touch with support for the last couple weeks about this. When I initially reported the problem, support told me that they found the issue and it would be fixed in Unity Hub 2.0, but after waiting for that release, I'm still seeing the problem.

I've boiled it down to the simplest way to reproduce the issue that I could find:

1) Install Unity 2018.4 - with download assistant (no hub). I can activate my Plus license key and use Plus features just fine. When I look at my license seats in my account online, I see the following. So far, so good.

1.png

2) Download and install Unity Hub 2.0. When running Unity Hub, it complains that I'm missing a license:

2.png

3) So, I choose "Activate new license", entering my Plus key when prompted. This *appears* to work:

3.png

4) but all is not ok... when I now run Unity (either 2018 or 2019), it launches into Personal mode. I can't use the Plus features at all.

5) Which made me look further at my seat activations. Hub is creating a 2nd seat activation for the same computer, one that Unity itself doesn't think is valid and falls back to personal features. Here's the seat activations screen after installing Hub - keep in mind, I'm only using the single MacBook:

4.png

6) At this point, I can re-activate Unity 2018 - since it has its own license management screen - and that seems to work fine... But nothing will let me activate Plus features in Unity 2019, since 2019 wants to launch the license management screen from Hub - which on my system seems broken.

It seems like Hub is using a different method to evaluate my hardware than Unity itself uses, thus the differences in the operating system and computer model. I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I can use Unity 2018, but can't upgrade due to the license issue. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    justdizzy and Shodan0101 like this.
  2. briangraf

briangraf

Bumping this thread to see if I can get some help.

I've been dealing with this issue for nearly a month - a month without being able to use unity at all because of this license problem. Unity support has tried to help but has basically given up at this point.

3. gemisis

gemisis

Bumping again, still an issue, and I can't get my license working on any Unity version.

4. arimacdigital

arimacdigital

I managed to overcome the issue this like this

1) Open an existing project ( I used Unity 2019.1.14f1), keep it open
    2) Open Seats -> Activations , select the activation for the Mac and remove the activation (only the relevant one)
    3) Open a new Unity Hub and go to License Management.
    4) Tap on Check for Updates (Hopefully it might not work)
    5) Go to activate new license and add the License code. It will be activated
    6) Switch to the opened unity editor and shake it, it will be black when you shake, literally