Search Unity

Hub is useless for professionals. See inside

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by giorgos_gs, Apr 17, 2019.

1. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Hi,

I installed the hub and then the new 2.0 hub beta.
    Both cannot work for me. Let me explain.
    I have 3 installations of Unity:
    1) 2019.1.0f2 (in C:\Program Files\Unity) with a Plus license for Android, iOS apps.
    2) 2018.3.11f1 (in C:\Program Files\UnitySwitch) for all my Unity Switch titles. (Nintendo license)
    3) 2018.3.11f1 (in C:\Program Files\UnityPS4) for all my Unity PS4 titles. (Sony license)
    I cannot handle this in Hub because I cannot add 2 different versions of Unity with the same version.
    This is critical because each version is custom from Sony and Nintendo.
    This makes the hub unusable for me and its removed in 2019 versions so you made my work harder.
    WHAT WILL WORK:
    1) You should be able to locate new Unity installs from folders and take them even if its the same version with another one.
    2) You should be able to rename the located Unity installs so I can separate them. Eg rename one 2018.3.11f1 to PS4 and the other 2018.3.11f1 to Switch. (I dont care about the version, I care what is meant for)
    3) You should associate licenses with the located Unity builds so eveytime I load a new project it selects the correct license. Eg I click a project with 2019.1.0f2 and it selects Plus license. Then I click a 2018.3.11f1 PS4 and it loads a PS4 license.

If these 3 things are build it will be made usable but until then it cannot be used at all.

Dreadbox likes this.
  2. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

3. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hi !
    Thank you for your feedback, we will consider your suggestions and come back to you as soon as possible.
    Best regards,

4. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @giorgos_gs

Can you please elaborate why you have two version of the same Editor for the various target console platforms?
    Basically, one version of 2018.3.11f1 with both the playstation and Switch SDK's installed for that release? The Hub can then recognize those platforms and allows to set the build target per respective project. This should help us when evaluating your point #1and point #2 for 'What will work'

For #3, license management is another story and with the current system, licensing is based on the machine + a Unity iD. How are you managing this prior to the Hub? I can assume you were launching the respective Editor and using the command line option to activate a license per Editor?

Thanks for any additional info,
    Daniel

5. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I want 2 clean installations for both consoles on different folders because some simes the SDK they install on top of Unity have problems when they are together.
    Also this is easier to update because Sony might update to a new version today but Nintendo might have this new version of unity ready in 2 more weeks. So it cannot work if the versions are in the same directory. When I work for PS4 and I need the update I just install it, and then continue to work with Nintendo with the older version until they update as well. This happens because I have 2 variants of the games one for PS4 and one for Nintendo. This is the only practical way to work.

The hub should be able to install 2 versions of the same version and rename the name so I can know which one is which.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have to return the license to the unity I use and then load the new unity and enter the new license. I some times return and give a new license 10 times a day. This is annoying.

7. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any feedback on my recommendations?

8. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

The Unity installs in the HUB must be able to be renamed because we use multiple installs of the same version of r other platforms such as PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

9. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I now cannot install 2019 version because of the hub and this problem.
    It must let us install two or 3 version of the same Editor for the various target console platforms.
    WHY? because:
    Sony PS4 might update to a new version today but Nintendo Switch might have this new version of unity ready in -2-3 more weeks. So it cannot work if the versions are in the same directory because if my Switch project get updated by the editor I would not be able to work on it until Nintendo reaches the same version which in most cases takes many weeks.
    So if I have 3 installs, I can work whatever the current version of each company since I have different variation of the same game for each platform.
    This is very important.
    I am expecting a reply or a workaround very soon. Beta hub cannot help me either...