Search Unity

Hub - Huge energy impact

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by luispedrofonseca, May 15, 2019.

1. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Hey guys,

Activity Monitor on OSX is reporting a huge energy impact of the Hub on my computer (iMac Pro).

Even with the app sitting in the background is constantly the #1 item on the list (even more than Google Chrome and Slack!).

Is there something that can be done about it? Why is an app that's essentially a launcher so power-hungry?

Attached Files:

2. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

For it to have more impact than Chrome and Rider combined something has to be very wrong.

I didn't notice anything unusual on Windows yet, so the issue might be limited to OSX.

Attached Files:

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

It had memory leaks a few versions back which seem to be fixed and it's pretty lightweight on Windows now. Maybe it's iOS specific. Are you on Hub 2.0?

4. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Yes, I am on the latest version available (2.0 I think).

5. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    We have observed that on OSX, the energy impact is calculated as average with Unity Editor opened by Hub accounted in. in Activity Monitor, when idle, it shows the Hub's energy impact as 0.1 or 0.0 when idle.
    Please report a bug if the observed behavior is different.
    Hope this helps.

6. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@joeksy I don't understand. You mean that the CPU usage should be 0.0-0.1, but the Energy Impact is normal to be that high?

7. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

What I meant is if you extend the Unity Hub in Activity Monitor, you will also see Unity Editor under it.
    All energy impact coming from potentially multiple Editor would also be calculated under Hub.

8. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@joeksy You're right, that's what's happening. Thanks for the clarification.

joeksy likes this.