Search Unity

Hub can't open Projects! "unity is already in list. you cannot locate the same version"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RubberDragonGames, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

I will try to give all the detail I can because I have been fighting this since 5am on Thanksgiving Thursday (3 days ago). I have also already submitted a bug report with no response at this time. I've researched into the problem on google and only found 2 similar posts which I will link after going over what I have interpreted of this issue.

To begin, I would like to explain what is happening.
    Using Unity Hub 2.2.1 (this problem started with 2.2.0), I can create a new project, perform changes and save this new project, but attempts to open the project from the Unity Hub will fail with a 1 second error display of "unity is already in list. you cannot locate the same version." This error also occurs with older projects from previous versions.
    When attempting to open these projects, the Unity Editor splash screen will display for a brief moment before Unity Hub is reopened and the error "unity is already in list. you cannot locate the same version" is displayed before immediately disappearing from the Hub. I had to use Snipping Tool in order to freeze a screenshot of my desktop so I could read the error displayed because it is gone that quickly. Again, this is only when attempting to open any existing project. This error does not occur when creating a new project.

The problem started when I applied a new Personal Unity License.
    On the day this first happened, Unity Hub asked me to Manage my License. It seemed to have forgotten that I was on a Personal use License and asked me to apply a new one. I went through the process of a manual activation for a new Personal License since I am just starting as a developer. This also wasn't the first time it had me apply a new license. Since I have done this, the hub has had this problem with opening my project files. I can no longer work on my game. I have been trying to fix it for 3 days with no luck.

The fixes I have tried include:
    - Uninstalling and Reinstalling Unity Hub (multiple attempts)
    - Uninstalling and Reinstalling 3 different versions of the Unity Editor (multiple attempts)
    - Attempting to Apply new Unity Personal License (multiple attempts)
    - Attempting to Return Personal License and Apply new Unity Personal License (multiple attempts)
    - Uninstalling all versions of Unity Editors and Unity Hub, Restarting Computer, and Reinstalling
    - Uninstalling and Reinstalling Visual Studio and all Unity Editors and Unity Hub
    - Restarting my Internet Connection

After all of these attempts, I have now decided to turn to the forums. I found the following 2 posts which suggested a clean wipe of my computer with a fresh install of windows (this is not a viable solution nor should it ever be), and adjusting my internet (Unity Hub will not open projects without server access).

The related posts can be found here
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sol...st-you-cannot-locate-the-same-version.784976/
    and here
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-is-already-in-list-you-cannot-locate-the-same-version.785405/

There is a working solution in the post chain. I am quoting it here.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    wsyuan1998 likes this.
  2. Etonix

Etonix

Any luck?

3. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

No reply yet on the bug report I sent in last week. I still can't open existing projects. I have one thing I want to try and will post here again if it ends up proving anything.
    I'm also still watching the other two posts for updates, this person makes me wonder about the thing I've wanted to try though. I've only got an hour to try for a result that might end up giving me nothing.

4. Etonix

Etonix

5. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

Thanks for telling us. I think this can effectively confirm that the Hub is where the problem originates.

To update on what I've tested, I tried disabling my firewalls and that did nothing. I also logged out of the Hub and then tried applying a new license without signing into the Hub. Again, there was no effect on the Hub's behavior.
    I did run a few more tests with my laptop. I installed the latest stable version of Unity and Hub 2.2.1 on it. It's never had either of those before and both the Hub and Editor are working just fine. I even brought over files I couldn't open on my desktop and those worked even after updating their editor versions. Unfortunately, I can't use the laptop as a normal workspace for Unity since all of my other necessary programs and files are on my desktop. Swapping computers is also not a solution, just a work around.
    This problem has proven to be more than a bug, it's a roadblock. It's causing trouble for quite a few people and it needs to be solved as soon as possible before even more are effected and locked out of their projects.

Etonix likes this.
  6. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

I have just posted a second bug report with video of the bug and hub error. This video includes creation of a new project, saving the project, and attempting to reopen the project. I have also linked to this forum post in order to provide as much detail as I can on this issue. I hope this helps to solve the issue sooner.

7. syncorio

syncorio

Well I'm kinda glad this isn't just me! I'm BRAND NEW to unity and I literally can't reopen existing projects lol. Another weird bug i'm having is with the MicroGame tutorials. Where you playtest the game and none of your inputs are working. Not fun times :(

8. Etonix

Etonix

Yeah, this bug is.. annoying. I'm thankful 1.6.0 is still operational!

9. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

We have a temporary work around that should allow you to open your existing project files. This will work with Hub 2.2.1

1)
    You will want to find your existing Unity Project File on your computer. If you don't know where that is, you can click the 3 dots on the right side of the project and click show in explorer. This should take you to the file location.
    ShowInExplorer.PNG

2)
    Go into your project's file, into the assets folder, and into the scenes folder. You should see a Unity scene file. Click the Unity scene file to launch the Unity Editor with the scene loaded. The rest of your project files should open with it.
    SceneFile.PNG

3) You should now be able to work on your project and save it without encountering the Unity Hub error.

10. TheWarper

TheWarper

Thanks @RubberDragonGames, I've turned to this solution as well. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the standard grey skins since it can't validate my Plus license. Also, it tries to open in the last version of the engine that was open, not great in a heavily exploratory phase where I'm making several projects a day to test out assets.

11. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

That sounds rough... I'm still a newbie and my work flow was interrupted for 2 weeks. I barely remember what I was doing before this happened. I'm just happy to be able to open my projects again. Really hope there's a fix ASAP though.

Quontium97 and TheWarper like this.
  12. TheWarper

TheWarper

[Workaround]

Note 1: This allows only 1 version of Unity to be installed (Unity 2017).
    Note 2: After a computer restart these steps will need repeated each time (i.e. license and opening from scene directly)

I had 3 versions of Unity installed, 2019.3.0f1, 2019.2.15f1, and 2017.4.28f1.

1. Deleted license data from the 'c:/programdata/unity' folder and re-entered through Hub
    2. Uninstalled the 2019 versions from the Hub
    3. Opened a scene file directly from my 2017 project and pointed to the 2017 install in "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2017.4.28f1\Editor\Unity.exe"
    4. Reapplied license info upon prompt

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  13. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

I'm glad you managed to fix it but since it doesn't work for the more recent versions of unity editor, I would consider your situation a unique case. I tried this with the newer versions and it just forces open the hub which starts the problem over again. If anyone else is using an older editor and project, maybe they can make use of it. If anyone wants to try downloading an older version and making a new project file to test it, I say go for it.

EDIT: After attempting this, I can no longer open my projects through opening the scene. Try it at your own risk!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  14. rricamar

rricamar

Hi @RubberDragonGames , I tried your method but it does not work, if I try to open the .unity scene file it launches always the hub, causing again the same error :( , hard to see that the dev team dont fix a serius bug like this

TheWarper likes this.
  15. Aksoq

Aksoq

Same issue here, can't find one in the unity issue tracker though. Can someone make it so we can vote for it getting fixed faster?

Update, the following fix worked for me:
    Win10, I have 2 internet connections 1) Main one - Ethernet cable 2) Virtual one - Hamachi
    Before the bug occured I turned off hamachi network. After i turned it on - everything works fine. So a possible fix for everyone - check your network connections and turn all of them on, or try cmd -> ipconfig /renew

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    hasan_sad and elewint like this.
  16. TheWarper

TheWarper

I reported this issue days ago, but it looks like their bug reporter was messed up too, can't ever produce a retrievable link from FogBugz or whatever that is.

17. TheWarper

TheWarper

18. TheWarper

TheWarper

rricamar and RubberDragonGames like this.
  19. rricamar

rricamar

Thanks @TheWarper , Hub 2.0.4 works like a charm, I still dont believe this kind of solutions. Dev team should at least make a quick hotfix on 2.2.1 :(

At least I dont use Unity for professional purposes, but this is a serious problem and silence is the only response from the team :eek:

phobos2077 and TheWarper like this.
  20. Giraalexis

Giraalexis

15/02/2020
    They still do not fix the problem, I am using hub 2.2.2, the good thing is that reading this forum thanks to @RubberDragonGames I can open the projects

21. Falconerd

Falconerd

1. Downloaded and Installed Unity Hub 2.3.0
    2. Installed Unity 2019.3.3f1 and created two New Projects (2D and 3D)
    3. Neither project can be opened again... Now getting the error "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version"
    Downgraded to version 2.0.4 as one of the above comments states and I can now open projects again... How has this issue been present for months and not been fixed?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    noemis likes this.
  22. Doomgriever

Doomgriever

Had the same issue this morning, I upgraded to latest Hub (2.3.0). Spent hours trying to open my projects.. but I was just booted back to the Hub again. Restarting, re-installing, nothing worked. And as other's stated, I could Create a New Project, but not Load it...

Anyways, here's how I fixed it:

1. Sign out of Hub and close it
    2. From Task Manager -> remove any Unity Hub process still running (I had 1 running even though it was closed!)
    3. Find your license C:\ProgramData\Unity\ and delete the Unity_lic.ulf file
    4. Start Hub again and Sign In
    5. It should complain that you don't have an active license (Go to Cogwheel in top right and choose License Management)
    6. Choose Manual Activation and follow the instructions

Instructions for Manual Activation

(7. Save a License Request file on your PC)
    (8. Go to the link provided license.unity3d.com/manual (you need to be signed in))
    (9. Locate the Saved License Request and upload it. Then Download the new license you get. Place it somewhere safe)
    (10. In Hub click Next and locate your new downloaded License)
    (11. It should state that it was successfull)

12. Then open your project from the Projects list again and it should work

Really annoying problem, and the error message "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version" that pops up for a few milliseconds was really hard to spot.. also didn't say anything about failed licenses. (I'm using Unity 2019.2.7f and 2019.3.5f1)

23. cwgstudio

cwgstudio

The problem seems to be stemming from network adapters. I currently only use the 'wifi' adapter on my PC - but was using the ethernet port to control a different project. I ended up disabling all but the wifi adapter and thats when the problems started (I did not realize it at that point) - I re-enabled the ethernet adapter and this issue went away.

Lylek, elewint and Enumerator_T like this.
  24. Enumerator_T

Enumerator_T

Enabling the network adapter fixed the issue.

25. Pek20

Pek20

I am still experiencing these issues. Any fixes?

26. LuigiNicastro

LuigiNicastro

@Pek20 This should help, it worked for me "Go into your project's file, into the assets folder, and into the scenes folder. You should see a Unity scene file. Click the Unity scene file to launch the Unity Editor with the scene loaded. The rest of your project files should open with it."

27. kodogijo

kodogijo

Using UnityHub 2.3.0 and had the similar problem.
    This solution worked like a charm for me.
    Thank you!

Actually, the workaround of directly open asset - scene folder worked too, it's just what's the point of hub if you have to do it manually all the time?

28. mcaldei01

mcaldei01

Hi guys.
    It only opens a project without getting back to reload the hub if I enable the Wifi Network card.

For Unity :)
    I just want to use ethernet cable ... so I have to enable wifi everytime I want to open a project through the hub.

How does this work ? I have reinstalled the license (auto and also manually), shouldn't the hub connect the license to the enabled ethernet card instead of the Wifi (specially if the wifi is supposed to be disabled) ?
    What if the wifi card gets damage ? No Hub solution here right ?

Thanks in advance,
    regards.

29. victorbadea

victorbadea

I can confirm that I had the same problem after updating to Unity Hub 2.3.1 today.

This is the ONLY solution out there that makes sense and works like a charm!

Thanks!

30. frankyfrankfrank

frankyfrankfrank

I enabled my wi-fi receiver, connected to the internet through that rather than my Ethernet connection and it resolved the issue.

Bug only appeared after updating to Unity Hub 2.3.1

31. erenyolcu

erenyolcu

YOU ARE A CRAZY BOSS!! THANK YOU MAN !!

32. rotariualex10

rotariualex10

Finally I managed to make it work !!! Many thanks!!!

33. lukasdragon

lukasdragon

when I re-enabled my ethernet port, it worked again... Weird...

34. fherbst

fherbst

@LeonhardP could you make sure this is looked into please? I'm also experiencing this, and it really seems that the disabled Ethernet adapter is the main issue here (Wireless is enabled).

Enabling the ethernet adapter makes Hub work again.
    This is on Hub 2.3.1, can't open any project anymore.

Same as above, there's a message "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version" popping up for a fraction of a second, and the Hub log mentions
    Code (CSharp):
    1. moduleName":"LocalProject","level":"info","message":"[ 'openProject projectPath: D:/git/myproject, current editor:',\n  undefined ]","timestamp":"2020-05-05T12:26:27.403Z"}
    2. {"moduleName":"RestEvent:Project","level":"info","message":"[ 'onProjectOpen data:',\n  { projectPath: 'D:/git/myproject' } ]","timestamp":"2020-05-05T12:26:27.403Z"}
    3. {"moduleName":"UnityIPCServer","level":"info","message":"[ 'client process has connected to Unity-hubIPCService!' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-05T12:26:30.037Z"}
    4. {"moduleName":"HubIPCService","level":"info","message":"[ 'socket has disconnected: [object Object] , false!' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-05T12:26:40.060Z"}
    5. {"moduleName":"LaunchProcess","level":"info","message":"[ 'child process exited with code 0' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-05T12:26:40.068Z"}
    This issue seems related but is closed as fixed (and I didn't see the error message there): https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-out-of-range-error-is-thrown-in-the-hub-logs

I reported a new case here: Case 1244367

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    LeonhardP and BrunoTumelero like this.
  35. kamil113kn

kamil113kn

it didn't work for me I still have problems. Anyone knows what I can do, I've tried everything

36. fherbst

fherbst

37. jkbrookes

jkbrookes

Ahaha, I have 3 network adapters on my system. A usb wifi adapter which I keep enabled, an internal wifi adapter which I occasionally enable, and the ethernet adapter which I have never enabled. Enabling the ethernet adapter fixed my issue. Amazing.

oxeliz likes this.
  38. HoovaDevil

HoovaDevil

Having just installed Unity this was annoying. The installation, project creation etc were all done using my usb wifi connection.

I also confirm that enabling the onboard network resolved this issue.

39. devonelee

devonelee

40. aydin_khp

aydin_khp

Had the same problem, it turned out that it was related to the network adapter. I have two network adapters and Unity starts only when a specific one is enabled. Maybe Unity has attached my license to that specific adapter in someway.

41. crumply_

crumply_

So, I recently hard-wired my desktop to my router and Unity Hub stopped opening projects.

I re-enabled my WiFi adapter (not connected, just enabled) and now Unity Hub opens projects again.

Prior to this, the only workaround was finding the scenes and opening them from Windows Explorer.

I'm glad my entire livelihood isn't relying on this. What a fuss over nothing.

42. MByrial

MByrial

This solved my problem. I had my ethernet adapter disabled, and once I enabled it again, the problem went away and unity opens just fine now. Thank you!

43. JollyByte

JollyByte

I don't believe this. So. I had to enable my broken Wifi adapter (this is what I had originally used in previous years) in order for this new installation to work with my backed up projects. No need for the wifi adapter to be connected to the internet, as long as it's enabled that's all that matters to this license check bug? Wasted so much time already on what could've been a nice fun time continuing my projects. :(

44. fherbst

fherbst

Can you guys try updating to Hub 2.3.2 and see if it fixes that issue? The changelog claims this issue is now fixed...
    https://unity3d.com/de/hub/whats-new

upload_2020-6-6_12-41-55.png

But it's definitely not fixed for me with this.

45. sionzee_

sionzee_

For me it started happening with version 2.3.2 everything before was fine for me.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not exactly sure when the problem started as I:
    • disabled my lan adapter which I don't use
    • updated Hub to 2.3.2
    • and installed 2019.4
    Enabling the network adapter fixed the issue.

Deleting the ulc file and reinstalling Unity Hub didn't work.

Another thting:
    Windows apps tells me I have installed Unity Hub 2.2.2 and 2.3.2 after updating Hub.
    I can uninstall the hub but 1 entry is still there and can't be removed as hub can't be found and therefore not uninstalled and removed from the list.

47. fherbst

fherbst

48. oxeliz

oxeliz

How awful can this behaviour be? I love Unity, but I also had to activate an older onboard network adapter to make it work. over a week of problems for nothing. Thanks, man. I would never figure it out on my own, since it doenst make any sense. You're the man!

49. vizcor

vizcor

actualization windows 10

50. farshad_gholami

farshad_gholami

Delete the entire “Licensing” folder under Unity’s installation folder (like “D:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Resources\“).