Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HUB breaks projects using old version of Unity.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by dustinandrew, Feb 15, 2018.

1. dustinandrew

dustinandrew

I'm on a MAC 10.13.3 and I have these Unity versions installed in different named folders:
    Unity-5.3.4f1
    Unity-5.5.2f1
    Unity-5.6.5f1

The latest version is in the Unity/HUB/Editor folder
    2017.3.1f1

I've installed the Unity HUB (Version 0.12.0), added all the Unity versions, and added all my projects.

When I open a Unity-5.3.4f1 project using the Unity Hub, I get an empty project dialog window, there are TypeLoadException errors in the console, all the prefabs in the scene are missing, and the project shows no files. So, I try to open the same project with Unity-5.3.4f1 directly and get the empty project dialog window.

The HUB has locked me out of working on this project which was working correctly before installing the HUB. Please help!

UPDATE: I have uninstalled the HUB and it still keeps me from using Unity-5.3.4f1, I just see the empty project dialog window. I even reinstalled Unity-5.3.4f1 and still get this!

From the HUB doc:
    This is not true! Opening Unity-5.3.4f1 Unity.app just shows a blank splash screen!

UPDATE: Opening Unity-5.6.5f1 shows the login dialog. Login then opening Unity-5.3.4f1 fixes the project dialog. But, my project is still broken and rebuilding the project library doesn't seem to do anything.

UPDATE: I upgraded my project to Unity-5.6.5f1 which fixed it!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. dustinandrew

dustinandrew

It would have been nice to read this warning before installing and setting up all my projects & installs in the HUB. This warning is not on the blog post, it is not on the forums, you only see this after you install the HUB and break all your old 5x projects and installs!

3. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @dustinandrew,
    Sorry for the problem that you are experiencing, we will surely investigate on it.
    The current known compatibility issue would be the sign in status not being communicated, and Unity Hub not being able handle license for 5.x. Opening project for 5.x should not differ from opening project directly using the 5.x Editor.
    Have experience same issue with Unity-5.6.5f1 using the Unity Hub, or it's only Unity-5.3.4f1?

4. dustinandrew

dustinandrew

I was seeing this blank splash screen when opening Unity-5.3.4f1 projects from the HUB and from Unity-5.3.4f1 directly. Opening Unity-5.6.5f1 gave me a login option. Once logging in, opening Unity-5.3.4f1 directly or from the HUB was fixed. So yes it seemed to be related to the shared sign in status.

The project was still broken in Unity-5.3.4f1, which I'm not sure is related to the HUB. I was getting a memory stream error which I believe is related to using the Unity Remote. Setting the Editor/Device to None and relaunching fixed this. I think I was seeing that error because I was using Unity Remote for ARKit in Unity-2017.3.1f1 then switching back to Unity-5.3.4f1 projects.

And finally upgrading the project to Unity-5.6.5f1 fixed the project and I'm now able to open from the HUB and continuing working on it. Thanks.

joeksy likes this.