Search Unity

Official Hub 3.0 Linux new distribution mechanism - All you need to know

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone!

After a lot of feedback around how we release our Linux based version of the Hub we have decided to distribute the Hub though RPM and Debian repositories going forward. This should help with a lot of the reported problems around AppImage desktop integration.

We ask that if you want to use the Linux version of the Hub please read this documentation. It describes the process for downloading the Hub and keeping up to date with any new releases.

For now, we are only releasing the beta.7 version of the Hub to be sure that we are not breaking any critical flows for you. Stay tuned for the full v3.0.0 release coming early next year.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,
    I guess it's not a bad thing but I'd like to keep using the appimage (I can live without the integration thingy :)); will you still maintain them?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can't we just switch to the beta version within the Hub now?

4. davidsamacoits

davidsamacoits

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt and thanks for you question!

Unfortunately no, appimages won't be supported anymore as they don't come with the OS integration we are looking for. Moving forward, installing and updating Hub (including beta) will be as explained in our documentation.

Thank you!

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, what about my second question, our posts passed each other by. :)

6. davidsamacoits

davidsamacoits

Unity Technologies

Starting from beta-7 and moving forward, switching channel won't be an option in app anymore. Instead you will have to target a different repository as explained under "Installing the beta versions of the Hub on Linux" in our documentation.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, thanks. When will version 3 be officially released? :)

8. Beto-Caldas

Beto-Caldas

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Beto-Caldas likes this.
  10. Beto-Caldas

Beto-Caldas

There is only 2 files with names close to "Unity", but none of them worked as expected.
    upload_2021-12-17_2-0-14.png

11. zezba9000

zezba9000

Why not flatpak?

lyoneel, dan_ginovker and ll3v3ll like this.
  12. ll3v3ll

ll3v3ll

Is the flatpak version of Unity Hub packaged and provided by Unity ?
    Or some other 3rd party ? Is it trustworthy ?

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Flatplak are notoriously not supported by the software developers. There are exceptions but if the Unity Hub package is actually supported by Unity, then it should be clearly mentioned; if it's not too, for that matter.

Anyway, using anything that does not come from Unity is not recommended.

14. dan_ginovker

dan_ginovker

+1 for Flatpak support - It makes Unity easily installable through the different Linux app stores. I currently use Unity via Flatpak and it works great, although I'll be switching to this distribution method to get the beta in the meantime.

lyoneel likes this.
  15. aragaer

aragaer

How do I install UnityHub if my Linux is neither Ubuntu/Debian nor RHEL/CentOS?

EthicalDisorder and lyoneel like this.
  16. sakunix

sakunix

unityhub won't open.
    Xubuntu,
    upload_2022-3-9_21-41-24.png

17. zezba9000

zezba9000

Those "nice" Linux options (cough I mean fragmentation) aren't what they're marketed as. This is why Unity only officially supports Ubuntu's main distro. (sorry for the Sinicism). This plus monolithic-kernels aren't well suited for dynamic hardware while great for fixed hardware like SteamDeck / Consoles / Servers.

Flatpak might work for Unity but I found out from .NET Core team that Flatpak has a large number of issues as well. In fact the only way to install .NET Core on Linux / Ubuntu is now a .deb package as well. Snap is also just broken.

I've come to realize that for client side devs on Linux, official Ubuntu DE is the only option. Which itself has many issues but most major companies target it. Android Studio / Google, .NET, VSCode / MS & Unity3D etc.

Anyway this is just my view and experience. Linux topics can be like walking around egg shells but I do mean the best & hope for better solutions in the future.

18. almusx

almusx

Hub wont open Ubuntu 22.04

ERROR: Licensing SDK logging callback is not registered. Please use 'registerLoggingAdapter' function from the SDK to do so.

19. BielJunio

BielJunio

upload_2022-6-18_17-11-48.png
    I did the installation following the instructions on Ubuntu, but when I open the application, this error occurs.
    How can I solve this?

DrMeatball likes this.
  20. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

Can we get rpm variant for SUSE please?

21. spliskin

spliskin

Just like to point you and anyone who uses appimage to this software: AppImageLauncher or https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher

Pretty much takes care of the integration issue. I haven't had any issues using this with the previous appimage. Just a thought and I don't know how many really know about that option but it's suited my needs fine.

I run Unity on Artix Linux, an Archlinux based distribution and have no intention to switch distros or switch to Ubuntu. Hopefully you will check this out and realize there are options.

22. jamesimmersivevr

jamesimmersivevr

Any reason why Fedora is not supported? That seems kinda weird?

23. jamesimmersivevr

jamesimmersivevr

For anyone running Fedora 36, using the RHEL/Centos instructions work but you need to also install openssl 1.1 to at least get the hub to run

Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo dnf -y install openssl1.1

24. SleepingRobot

SleepingRobot

+1 for Flatpak support

25. johan_unity812

johan_unity812

I have this exact issue. Any solutions?

DrMeatball likes this.
  26. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

Also running into this issue. Ubuntu 22.04.1

27. unity_9BC1E48589FF56B1211E

unity_9BC1E48589FF56B1211E

i'm on ubuntu as well nvidia graphics. getting stuck in a login loop after xdg-oprn part. the ./unityhub nor unity hub are command arguments. how did yall get past this?

28. seloran

seloran

With the obsolescence of the use of AppImage for Unity Hub on Linux, while I do see the instructions for getting Unity Hub via the terminal being linked from https://unity.com/download, I still seem to see the link for downloading the AppImage at https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download . Perhaps that page should be updated?

Also, for those on Ubuntu 22.04 who still have problems with Unity Hub, there is an official workaround with a list of steps, but it requires libssl1.1 which may not be ideal.

The workaround is mentioned in the OP of the following thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/running-unity-on-ubuntu-22-04.1284083/

However, ideally, the Unity Hub should get patched so it supports libssl3 as well on Ubuntu 22.04 and later soon since as I mentioned in that thread that the workaround is not without consequences.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  29. RageAgainstThePixel

RageAgainstThePixel

When I use the new installation method I cannot find the installation using `which unityhub`

Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo sh -c 'echo "deb https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/repos/deb stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unityhub.list'
    2. wget -qO - https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/keys/public | sudo apt-key add -
    3. sudo apt update
    4. sudo apt install unityhub
    5. which unityhub

30. riemaeker

riemaeker

31. Mallaboro

Mallaboro

Code (CSharp):
    1. // My Computer
    2. Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    3. Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
    4. Release:    22.04
    5. Codename:    jammy
    Issue
    Code (CSharp):
    1. $ sudo apt-get install unityhub
    2. Reading package lists...
    3. Building dependency tree...
    4. Reading state information...
    5. E: Unable to locate package unityhub
    I was able to resolve this issue with the following

Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo apt-get install debian-keyring debian-archive-keyring
    2. sudo apt-key update
    3. sudo apt-get update
    4. sudo sh -c 'echo "deb https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/repos/deb stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unityhub.list'
    5. wget -qO - https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/keys/public | sudo apt-key add -
    6. sudo apt update
    7. sudo apt-get install unityhub

DrMeatball likes this.