Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Hub 3.0.0 Cannot Activate Licenses

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by samanabo, Jan 11, 2022.

1. samanabo

samanabo

I'm running into a critical issue where the latest release of the hub will not activate any licenses (either a personal or professional license). This is occurring on the new release of the hub v3.0.0 (not beta).

This is unfortunately preventing me from any progress, so a quick update is much appreciated.

2. HAZIM_REAL

HAZIM_REAL

this happened to me today, anyway to fix it ?

forzabo likes this.
  3. Contrasan

Contrasan

lo mismo error. It does not recognize my personal license, it is not active, it does not work at all, when opening the editor, license error, unusable!.
    manual activation does not work either.

4. Matin-

Matin-

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    Sorry about the inconvenience you are facing.
    Could you please share with us your Licensing Client and Hub logs

They are located under:

Windows:
    • Hub: %APPDATA%\UnityHub\logs\info-log.json
    • Client: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Unity\Unity.Licensing.Client.log
    MacOS:
    • Hub: ~/Library/Application\ Support/UnityHub/logs/info-log.json
    • Client: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Unity.Licensing.Client.log
    Linux:
    • Hub: ~/.config/UnityHub/logs/info-log.json
    • Client: ~/.config/unity3d/Unity/Unity.Licensing.Client.log

You can send them to me in private if you wish so

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    HAZIM_REAL likes this.
  5. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

Same here. I just filed a report through the Hub's troubleshooting bug panel.

6. samanabo

samanabo

I just sent these via a private message. Keep us posted!

7. tredpro

tredpro

having same issue :( cant open my project on my day off from work

8. tredpro

tredpro

my unity.licensing.client.log states
    2022-01-11 23:48:19.922 - [ 18056] - [ 7] - INFO - Unity.Licensing.Client.Communication.Controllers.AccessTokenController || Got access token: -HST8Rpm5LqdzXBmFuvgWI4jtXdtWhaAJleADUx3gb4001f (expires in 30758400 seconds)
    2022-01-11 23:48:19.922 - [ 18056] - [ 7] - INFO - Unity.Licensing.Client.Communication.ApiPipeHandler#1 || [Response] Type: AccessTokenResponse, Code: 200, Status:
    2022-01-11 23:48:19.923 - [ 18056] - [ 7] - INFO - Unity.Licensing.Client.Services.Licensing.GenesisLicensingService || [9ca2ab7a16e342efa90bcbdea94a6f2b] Starting Ulf transaction for NEW operation
    2022-01-11 23:48:20.616 - [ 18056] - [ 19] - WARN - Unity.Licensing.EntitlementResolver.ContextBoundDataExtensions || The following fields of your context don't match:
    Legacy.MachineBinding4: License value (NULL) != Current context ()
    2022-01-11 23:48:20.617 - [ 18056] - [ 19] - ERROR - Unity.Licensing.EntitlementResolver.ContextBoundDataExtensions || Legacy MachineBinding validation failed.
    2022-01-11 23:48:20.617 - [ 18056] - [ 19] - ERROR - Unity.Licensing.Client.Services.Licensing.GenesisLicensingService || [9ca2ab7a16e342efa90bcbdea94a6f2b] An error occured while performing the ULF NEW operation: Machine bindings don't match
    2022-01-11 23:48:20.617 - [ 18056] - [ 7] - INFO - Unity.Licensing.Client.Communication.ApiPipeHandler#1 || [Response] Type: ULFActivationResponse, Code: 1400, Status: Machine bindings don't match
    my programdata/unity also appears empty after this update

9. HAZIM_REAL

HAZIM_REAL

it fixed it when i restart the pc now it works

10. tredpro

tredpro

wish i could say same

11. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

Didn't fix it for me.

12. CarloSandrea

CarloSandrea

Hello I also have the same problem and I'm crazy I have about 3 hours trying to activate it any solution?

13. Stalkies

Stalkies

14. tredpro

tredpro

if it wasnt for the fact that they dont let you open a unity project without a license it wouldnt be such an issue. but no response here, on my help ticket or anywhere. i have already found posts of people leaving unity over this. if i havent already spent so much in the asset store i would be working on porting my stuff to unreal also. the fact that an issue this big and no response is mind blowing. i have been working and trying things for about 24 hrs and my love for this game engine is almost gone.......not 1 word from unity about this situation people are having with the hub update they released.

garrettmurphy2006 and Jelmer123 like this.
  15. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

I am a new user (well, so far I'm a new nothing as I haven't been able to use the software at all...), and this is definitely not the best impression they could make. It could be as simple as making the previous version available as they work on the current flawed one, but it looks like they don't do that, so right now everyone who has a problem is stuck. I also raised a ticket through the bug platform too, but no acknowledgement of the issue yet. I've wiped the system and installed again, even though it was already a fresh install the first time, and it solved nothing except waste my time. Auto or manual activation, neither works. I don't know man.

BribableDolphin likes this.
  16. Stalkies

Stalkies

Я сделал то же самое, потратил день на поиск проблем и переустановку системы. Только сейчас решил зайти на форум и убедиться, что проблема не только у меня

17. tredpro

tredpro

i have been using unity since unity 3 and this is a new issue. back then your unity install was the free version and you would install a pro version if you wanted that. if i was new, i would be using unreal personally. especially after this. they are literally able to lock me out of work ive been doing for years and i cant even open unity to export or anything without a license.

18. Packedbox

Packedbox

On MacOS Monterey:

I was connected to a VPN to access my client source control:

Hub was not working only blank screen.
    Cleaned everything in Library/Application Support/Unity and Hub, Desintall hub and reinstall
    Still blank screen .

errors in hub info-log.json :
    getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND core.cloud.unity3d.com
    getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND api.unity.com

Disconnected from VPN ( TunnelBlick ) and bang eveything works fine.

lemketron likes this.
  19. tredpro

tredpro

yea ive tried connecting then disconnecting vpn and no luck :( glad it worked for you and i hope it does for others

20. tredpro

tredpro

hub loads. i just get error

There was a problem activating a new personal license. Make sure you are logged in, and have internet connection.

when trying to create new license

21. tredpro

tredpro

i was able to reach unity chat support. hopefully this is resolved. will post results

sab_the_cat likes this.
  22. tredpro

tredpro

they have my ticket located and all my info of the instance and will be researching and reaching back to me by email.

23. tredpro

tredpro

it sounds like they are unaware they pushed unity hub 3.0.0 to production and it was suppose to be on beta

24. tredpro

tredpro

if anybody can some how get downgraded to unity hub 2.4.5 that sounds like it would resolve the issue. the way they told me to do that was to switch to production channel. but i was already using the production channel and its how i got 3.0.0. i havent had any further response yet

25. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

Tell you what, right now I solved after perusing some older issue threads in which someone suggested searching for older hub versions on web archive, and that's what I did. I found v2.4.5, installed that and activated the license. So far so good, but I don't know if next time I'll open the hub it will want to upgrade to v3.

26. tredpro

tredpro

where did you find 2.4.5? ive been trying to find it too. all installs ive found installed 3.0.0 still because it pulls from the main production link

27. tredpro

tredpro

i've been searching for 2.4.5 since this issue started lol

28. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

internet archive, someone here in the forum suggested that for an old issue...

o0_Chromium_0o likes this.
  29. tredpro

tredpro

are you using mac? where did you find 2.4.5? im using windows and need exe. but all references i find for exe is to the prod release which is 3.0.0

30. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

Yes, but you should be able to find the exe too. This is the original post I followed https://forum.unity.com/threads/old-version-of-unity-hub.620128/#post-6319092 see if you can find a suitable exe by checking that link (you might have to search for a date closer to now)

31. tredpro

tredpro

i actually just started up my old laptop to find 2.4.3 hub on there. so thatll do for now. thank you

32. tredpro

tredpro

wish i would have done this yesterday though lol

33. CarloSandrea

CarloSandrea

Hello everyone I have found a solution that has worked for me and I hope it has worked for you too, what I have done is to remove version 3.0.0.0 of unity hub and install this version https://web.archive.org/web/2020081....cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/UnityHubSetup.exe

after activating the unity license I installed the latest version of unity that I was going to use and proceeded to update the hub to version 3 and everything worked fine.

Ankit_GG and kikill like this.
  34. ScientificDeveloper

ScientificDeveloper

I am facing a similar issue with the pc being behind a firewall, sign-in open the browser however the Hub does not recognize it.

35. tredpro

tredpro

36. forzabo

forzabo

Just to chime in, I also cannot activate my (plus) license on the new hub. I'm on macOS. Currently attempting to downgrade hub via wayback machine. This is not what I wanted to be doing all morning.

37. Makarun

Makarun

Same here... I could repair this bug by using pre beta unity hub but apparently older version is now unavailable, so we stuck with awesome unity hub 3.0 but without chance to get license.

38. forzabo

forzabo

Downgrading per the posts above (using wayback machine internet archive) worked for me.

39. efficientTech

efficientTech

Same issue here, cannot use unity hub on new build machines. Trying the wayback machine.

40. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

A little update as my help ticket was finally addressed by a technician.

I'm on macOS 10.12, and I've been told v3 is not compatible with it (even though, you know, the documentation states it is, and the download page too).

I've also seemed to gather that people in here were having the same type of issue on other systems altogether. So I reeeeally don't know...

That said, for those who temporarily reverted to an older version of the Hub but are facing broken-v3 forced auto-updates (it's been my case so far: install v2.4.5, use it, close it and magically it turns into v3 with activation problem), there's also a neat trick elsewhere in the documentation that prevents these. Follow the instructions on that page and refer to the 5th available flag in the list to turn them off.

Whether v3 is truly incompatible with my system or not, hopefully they'll fix it at least for those whose systems are supposedly compatible, then maybe I'll consider updating my system too. In the mean time, the above tip should do.

forzabo likes this.
  41. forzabo

forzabo

Hmm, is this flag honored by older versions of the hub? (I went all the way back to 2.3.2) -- but these docs seem to be referring to features supported in Hub 3.0...

With 2.3.2 anyway, it seems like the config file is ignored. Looking for a 2.4.5 dmg download, but wayback machine seems to be down today...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  42. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

Well I re-installed v2.4.5 after it had switched to v3 and did as instructed in that document. The "update to v3" line in the hub window disappeared and so far it hasn't switched itself to v3, so I take it is honoured. Don't know about v2.3.2 though. You gotta try...

forzabo likes this.
  43. forzabo

forzabo

Ok, so this is weird: on other machine (also running 10.12) I created the json file per the docs, and when I reinstalled an apparently even older Hub (I had a .dmg sitting around in the downloads file) it works as advertised. The banner at the bottom says "Unity Hub is up to date" and no 3.0.0 download button. The date stamp on the .dmg was April 2020 but the version in the About box says 2.3.0. (!?)

Anyway, back to my MBP running with Hub 2.3.2 vs 3.0.0. I rechecked the services-config.json I created with textEdit and realized somehow textEdit had somehow helpfully replaced the straight quotes with curly quotes, even though I had it set to plain text. Whatever. Redid the file in a real code editor, expecting that to be it, but nope! Still was auto-updating to 3.0.0.

Digging around in the UnityHub folder in Application support i discovered another config file called hubConfig.json with the same sorts of parameters described in the docs includling hubDisableAutoUpdate. Setting that to true finally killed autoupdate on this version of the hub.

TL;DR
    If creating the services-config.json file doesn't cure the Autoupdate, try changing hubConfig.json in ~/Library/Application Support/UnityHub
    (macOS path -- other OSes will be different)

sab_the_cat likes this.
  44. msakkuzu

msakkuzu

Please give Unity Hub older version link(for Mac), so that we can use until you fix this issue.

45. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Unfortunately, launching Unity Hub after modifying hubConfig.json results in Hub restoring hubConfig.json to its default values. Any other info on how to disable auto-updates? Unity seems to have removed this page from the docs: https://docs.unity3d.com/hub/manual/ServicesConfiguration.html

forzabo likes this.
  46. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

I don't know why they pulled it. That's the issue with online docs, if they decide something has to go, it's gone. I couldn't find an archived page for that link, but going off the top of my head, this is what I did.
    In (if you don't have that, you create one – also make sure it's the system library, not your user's):

/Library/Application Support/Unity/config/services-config.json

add this:

{
    "hubDisableAutoUpdate": true
    }

Disclaimer, I do not have that page archived nor did I screenshot it, so this is just what I remember of the procedure, which I did for Hub version 2.4.5. For me it worked, but if you break something, you're on your own.

47. forzabo

forzabo

Yes, you're right -- it seemed to work at first but I guess I was seeing ghosts.

48. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

This worked, thanks so much! It actually modified the hubConfig.json file in ~/Library/Application Support/Unity Hub to match my services-config.json settings the next time I launched Hub.

Here are the settings I used in my services-config.json file:

{
    "hubDisableAnalytics":true,
    "hubDisableAutoUpdate": true,
    "hubDisableCloudProjects":false,
    "hubDisableCommunity":true,
    "hubDisableElevate":true,
    "hubDisableLearn":true,
    "hubDisablePersonalLicense":false,
    "hubDisableSignin":true,
    "hubDisableVisualStudioDownload":true,
    "hubDisableWelcomeScreen":true
    }

Much more streamlined experience.

Thanks!

- David

49. L82093

L82093

(Unity Hub 3.0.1) My Hub auto updated to 3.0.1 and I have followed advice throughout the forums, even deleted all references to Unity, all temp files, registry entries, uninstalled all versions of Unity including the Hub, restarted my computer multiple times, tried updating various things and I still can not "activate" my free "license". Also tried doing it manually multiple times and still zero progress. I did not have this problem with the previous versions of Unity Hub.

This is incredibly frustrating because I have projects I need to work on but cannot even access them. With all the others complaining about the same thing, I wonder how long this is going to last. This has brought my work to a standstill and it's very irritating.

"There was a problem activating a new personal license. Make sure you are logged in, and have internet connection."

CrystalDynamo likes this.
  50. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey!

Could you please try with the latest Unity Hub beta (3.1.0b1)? There were some fixes to licensing I'd like to see whether or not these fix your issue.

https://unity3d.com/hub/whats-new

To get the beta, select the Preferences cog on the top left of the Hub launcher, go to Advanced and select Beta in the dropdown. You should then get a notification at the top of the Hub launcher on the main screen to install the update.

Let me know in this thread if this solves the problem or not, so I can go back to the team.

Michelangelos likes this.