Search Unity

Question Hub 2.4.3 killed my license - can't start Unity. Regrets upgrading.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by MrLucid72, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

I forgot Unity mgmt forgets to assign QA to test their own products ;( I regrettably upgraded Hub - "What could go wrong?"

Well, that answer is "NO LICENSE" - I can't do anything. Refreshing license infinitely looks for a refresh (another bug reported LONG, long ago that - of course - was still never fixed).

How to revert?

EDIT 1: Welp, even the dashboard won't let me get another key. "Download Keys" results in ... well, nothing showing in the xls file.

EDIT 2: You can find your license by clicking the vague "+" button next to my email after an error "You already assigned this seat!". However, now I'm getting "Failed to reach Unity license server". Yay.

EDIT 3: Clicking the "Manage License" button in the no license bottom bar does nothing. Another bug reported ages ago that was never fixed.

EDIT 4: Found a workaround - uninstall Unity Hub completely -> Reinstall Hub -> Scrounge through Unity's unnecessarily-confusing dashboard to dig for your seat license -> you'll no longer get "failed to reach unity license server" vague errors and you're good to go after sending an invoice to Unity to credit your monthly sub fee (/s) for wasted time that could've been avoided through testing and QA 101 practices.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    nasos_333 likes this.
  2. sstrong

sstrong

Same. Lost many hours. Still can't get a valid license (or activation) and cannot open the editor.

How did you re-activate the account? I've opened a support ticket but as we know these can take days or weeks to get any kind of useful response.

I tried your suggestion of completely removing Hub and re-installing but now when I tr to reactive it says "Your serial number is invalid. Please contact support..."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    nasos_333 and MrLucid72 like this.
  3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Ah, be sure not to skip the part about the unnecessarily confusing UI. Maybe you tried the code for the old Unity 5 perpetual (...lol) license.

Gotta find your seats for plus or pro, then re add it to yourself. You may need to remove it then add it back - if you can even find it. I wish I remembered exactly how, but just keep digging in the dash. It's truly bad design/UX - Not as bad as the QA, but strikingly familiar.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

thank god i always read now before do anything with any new Unity thing, thanks for posting to avoid this upgrade.

Hopefully next version will be fixed. This is such a joke release process, at least Unity could assign some users as beta testers and give some incentive for that, than just randomly put peoples works in weeks of delays, to avoid paying for the testing.

It is puzzling how there is zero testing in these releases, even the most basic functionality is not working, plus the Hub is still limited to 40 projects, which is so annoying and defeat its purpose when keep multiple projects (i have 60+).

5. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Remember, this is the company that spends more money in marketing than development that doesn't use their own product.

As for begging Unity for more QA, or even using logic? We've tried that. Oh, how we've tried that many times... I swear that we have more QA than Unity (we have just 1).

nasos_333 likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Totally true. Is like they try to shoot themselves in the foot doing that though.

Sometimes i open one of my older Unity 5.6 projects and cant believe it was THAT fast back then, everything looks like in bullet speed, loading Unity, project and doing shader - script compilation.

Lately i have noticed shader compilation for just a tiny change can take several seconds too, making it near impossible to do real work without spending crazy time just looking at the screen.

They only add and not take any time to refine as it seems now, which will only lead to more and more people leave Unity eventually imo, doing a great harm to the great ecosystem they created with the far superior older versions.

BTW i can still do rather spectacular visually things in Unity 5.6 and sometimes wonder why all the fuss with all the pipelines and all, before is their proper time, seems also like they just add to add things, to make Unity seem like progressing somewhere for PR purposes, when in fact gets more complex and several steps back in many crucial factors like usability and compatibility.

Maybe having a raytracing option is now more important to Unity team, than actually be able to make and finish a game as it seems.