Search Unity

Bug Hub 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 upgrade breaks licensing - cannot open editor

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by sstrong, Mar 21, 2021.

1. sstrong

sstrong

I mistakenly just said upgrade my Hub 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 on my laptop - BAD IDEA.

When the 2.4.3 restarted it immediately said it didn't have a serial number and now under licensing it says "No License. To be able to start working with Unity activate a new license, or manually activate."

Laptop on WIFI out of the office. So frustrating when license breaks. I don't need a NEW LICENSE and Manual Activation is usually equally painful - generally taking many days to resolve though the overloaded support department.

When Hub 2.4.3 opened it first asked permission to WIFI network, which I granted, but still licensing is broken/lost.

This continues to be a on-going frustration for paying customers. Makes you want to consider dropping subscription and going with free version...

2. sstrong

sstrong

Arrrh - now completely broken

upload_2021-3-21_10-14-48.png

And it gets worse. Cannot manually reactivate account.

1. I've already activated on 2 computers and it cannot be activated
    "serial has reached the maximum number of activations."

2. I cannot remove the activation from the current computer and reactivate it

upload_2021-3-21_11-0-33.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2021
  4. sstrong

sstrong

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm assuming you haven't tried this with 2.4.3. Essentially it just creates an empty license file and doesn't write the license server data back into the file.

From the json log file it seems the upgrade deletes the license file, then attempts to immediately create a new one. The problem is, this fails but now the original file is gone (not great). So, still cannot open the editor as the license file is still empty. Looks like a "oh, oops" moment on behalf of the Unity Hub team. Never assume the last function succeeded - a trap for devs that don't do correct error handling...

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

is there any know fix for this issue, i dont dare upgrade to new version as it is, so would be great to have an official word on this

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just deinstall the old version and install the new one afresh. Delete all the Unity Hub and UnityHub directories you'll find in your system before reinstalling.

nasos_333 likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

I see, thanks, will try that

8. sstrong

sstrong

For me, none of that worked. I had to create a support ticket which took 3-4 days to action. It depends on which sort of license you have and how it was originally created (or so it would seem).

I think it relates to WIFI connected networks. On my desktop on a LAN the upgrade worked fine. But I was out of the office at the time on a phone hotspot and...

nasos_333 likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

i see, thanks for the info, will probably stay to current as it seems

10. copa2894

copa2894

Had the same error! My fix: I deleted the license activation for the relevant computer on my online Unity profile, and then manually activated a new license activation from Unity Hub (downloaded the license request file, followed the link, input my serial number, and then downloaded the new license file). Worked for me ~