Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Hub 2.0 : I prefer the old installs tabs interface

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Thaina, May 22, 2019.

1. Thaina

Thaina

The old interface just show all version explicitly so we know all the update at a glance. It might not be the best but I would like something equivalence. We shouldn't need to press "Add" button just to see are there any new update

2. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

I agree, the new interface, while certainly very modern looking, seems to be a bit of a step backwards in terms of functionality.

Pascal_NotVeryMoe likes this.
  3. ShubhamSaxena

ShubhamSaxena

I literally suck.

Baste likes this.
  4. Jinja

Jinja

I completely agree with Thaina. v1.6 of Unity Hub had a list that was easy to parse at a glance. It was easy to notice which versions you had installed and what you needed to install as both were listed side by side. v2.0 takes a while to read and you have to absorb the version numbers to notice the gaps or click on the ADD button to view a list of uninstalled versions (but now you don't know what is installed). Without the uninstalled and installed listed together, it becomes a chore to appreciate all of the versions available. Definitely a functional downgrade from the previous version.

5. argh6543

argh6543

This install portion of the Hub is a utility screen. I get paid to use Unity, not for downloading updates or installing new versions. Therefore this screen should 100% prioritize functionality and this has not happened in many ways:

1) It's not clear when new versions are available. You have to hit the add button, then see if there is something to add.
    2) There is so much whitespace that could have been used to display useful information. Last used. Release date. How many projects registered in the hub use that version. Disk space usage ... ANYTHING but useless logos and white space.
    3) This is a missed opportunity to make the hub more useful for the average user. E.g. 2018.4.x is now stable. When I use it for a project, then the hub - based on my preferences - could automatically download and install updates in the same stream and then notify me once that has happened.
    4) Another missed opportunity is to make this screen more useful to the beginner. They are new and will not know what "a" and "b" in the version numbers mean. Heck, I'm not even sure what the f really is for - final never seems very final when we get a "f1" flagged as beta and the real first usable release is f2. I just asked one of my friends sitting beside me which would be the best version to install to start fresh and the answer was: "2019.3.0a3 - it's the newest".
    5) Another nice thing would be to copy the installed components not from what the last install was, but from the closest matching version. E.g. when 2017.4.xx gets released and I install it, then the next time I update 2019.1.xx will have the two stuff selected, even if the previous version is still there and hub could easily figure out what its components were.
    6) Why is the locate so prominent? That should be under the settings menu because if the hub is used for everything going forward, the locate functionality will be less and less important.
    7) Tabs on top are my personal preference, on the left they just seem awkward
    8) Why are the installed modules listed there? I still haven't figured out the purpose of that other than it takes up a bit more space. It's especially awkward since e.g. windows and mac build modules have the same icon.

Long story short, the old UI was bad - the new one is significantly worse. Please don't be like apple and worry more about form than function. We rely on Hub as a tool every day, we need it to be functional most of all.

Pascal_NotVeryMoe and Thaina like this.
  6. Richardbmth

Richardbmth

We just updated to 2.0 and baffled why the step back in UX design. It felt way more smoother experience updating Unity in previous versions. Seems clunky now. I think Jinja sums up the problems nicely.

7. lumeneo

lumeneo

The new Unity Hub has destroyed my productivity. After weeks of dealing with it, I am forced to break my flow even further to cry out for help.

1. Add "Date Added" Sorting (at least) - When I open an old project, it disappears into my long list of projects unless it was recently opened. I can only sort by title or date modified.
    2. Don't grey out projects for any reason. - Even worse, if it's not using the latest Unity version, it's greyed out, so all the projects constantly go through a cycle of being greyed out (because I only keep the latest build of Unity)
    3. Don't make us select the project again to open it. When you open a new Unity project, it has to be added to the hub, and then we have to click it again to open it. So, after digging through my list of files to find the project on the drive, I have to find it again in a poorly sorted list.
    4. Re-open the project if you force us to close it. Another pain point, when Unity forces a restart, it closes but doesn't reopen, so I have to find it in the Unity Hub and open it again.
    5. Don't show trivial notifications on launch. Every time it tells me "New cloud projects are available." (they are not, btw) AND THEN it tells me my license is up to date.
    6. Don't visibly obscure important notifications. Important notifications are hidden by trivial ones. After a while, I just ignore the constant notifications. A few times I noticed the third notification was important, but I had to go through a lot just to see it.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  8. SpoonOfDoom

SpoonOfDoom

I agree with this thread, the old UI was much more useable. Details have already been said above, so I won't post a wall of text, but I did want to express my agreement that 2.0 is a massive step back in terms of functionality, and I can't understand why this was made to be perfectly honest.

9. Crashhelmet

Crashhelmet

+1 for the old interface.

With the old interface I could choose the Editor version per project. Not sure if this was also the case for Resource projects. Anyways, it doesn't seem to be possible with the new interface.

10. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Preferred the old "list" view for Installs, don't like the grid squares. I'd prefer if Unity got rid of the "Add" popup and just merged that list into the main "Installs" tab. Then highlight versions I currently have installed, and have a drop down to install uninstalled versions.

Something kind of like this:

Photoshop_IIAsChjLBx.png

And add info for release date, release notes, similar to how it's shown on the website:

chrome_QjPP3HVoGJ.png

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  11. tng2903

tng2903

AMAZING!!! Just updated to Unity Hub 2.0 and I must say that it's really AMAZINGGGGGG.
    I'm really thrilled just by looking at the new interface, and keep asking myself how is that possible? A terrible UX like that. Going through all the chain-of-command from design, qa, approved, then released to us consumer, such a huge surprise. I don't have high hope in Unity, and now it's even lower. AMAZING!!!

Let's be serious thought, give me the old version back, or, absolutely add the option to sort project by Added date.

12. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Thank you for feedback and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Your concerns are noted, and we are considering some re-designs for install and project tabs based on the feedback and priorities.

Best,
    Afshin

13. PixelLifetime

PixelLifetime

I like new UI, it is much more simple and intuitive. The UX is better, not the UX of Unity as it was for a long time, but if you compare to other programs UX is better now. I don't know what people are talking about. Maybe, only people that didn't like the UI are complaining and others aren't just bothering. If you want to change something, make a poll or something on official page, so that a lot of people would vote on it. But I think most people like the new version, I may be wrong but at least I see only positive changes in the UI. Maybe, it's because people aren't used to it, everything new always has negative sides.