Search Unity

Feedback Hub 2.0 - FEEDBACK

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by rob8861, May 18, 2019.

1. rob8861

rob8861

Updated the Hub to 2.0 and really liking it. The UI is so pleasing to look at, modern and responsive.

Here is the my feedback:

1) Update Current Editor to Latest - The frequency of patch releases for Unity has increased dramatically. Sometimes I'll see two or more patches in a single month. 2019.1 was released last month and we are already at 2019.1.3. I like to keep my Editor major version up to date so I find myself needing to uninstall and reinstall every time a new patch comes out. Instead, you can add a button "Update" right where "Uninstall" is that does the same thing. It updates to the last patch version keeping the module selections the same. That way it also leaves the decision whether to update or not to the user.

2) Remove projects from the list - with so many projects, the list under the project tab gets very big. Some of them are just test projects I am not interested in seeing. Can you please add an option to remove items from the list. You already giving us an "add" button so I think remove makes lots of sense.

3) Don't create a shortcut on Windows - With Hub 2.0 and 2019, opening the editor directly will open the hub. Therefore, I do not see any reason why Hub continues to create desktop shortcuts when they are useless. We already know which editor versions are installed from the Hub. No need to litter the desktop.

Thaina, Johannski and henkjan like this.
  2. reddtoric

reddtoric

4) Add Download/Installation progress bar/percentage - When downloading and installing, all we see is a "working" indication above the card but it doesn't let users know how much is left or (albeit can be very inaccurate) estimate of how long is left.

rob8861 likes this.
  3. mbatutis

mbatutis

Bring back project path OR Allow adding an alias to a project
    Because of the way our project folders are structured, the folder that contains Unity project is called... "Unity". So all I see in the Hub now is a list of projects called "Unity". It was not an issue prior to 2.0 as I could see what project it was from the project path, i.e. projects_dir/project_name/Unity. It would be great if I could add an alias to a project or see the paths again.

Edit: I just realised that if you hover over the "Unity Version: ..." view, it shows the project path. Not very intuitive but I'm glad its there :).

4. Klang-Michael

Klang-Michael

Unity Editor Command-Line Launch Parameters per Project
    Please allow us to set launch parameters for the Unity Editor. Ideally per project. We use the GFX flags (e.g. force-vulkan, ..) regularly and this is so complicated atm with Unity Hub. If easier maybe just give as a settings file which sets them globally stored in the user directory.

5. Johannski

Johannski

Very good points in this thread!
    I just noticed one slight ui problem when having a few version installed:
    upload_2019-5-20_15-36-28.png

Sorting them is pretty nice, but then the dropdown should at least be on top of the white area of the window. ;)

Pascal_NotVeryMoe likes this.
  6. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm very frustrated that this wasn't implemented in this new version.

Pascal_NotVeryMoe likes this.
  7. mark-tt

mark-tt

The UI has got worse. How on earth am I supposed to tell which project is which? The old version showed the full path of each project so I could tell. This version doesn't. Unity - please restore the functionality that you've removed.

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 11.33.58.png

8. chase-cc

chase-cc

I came here to make a post about not being able to see the project path by default and i'm glad i'm not the only one.

It's very common for team's to adopt a pattern where the unity project is called something generic, so not being able to see the path to the project makes this super not-user friendly.

being able to make an alias for each project would be very much appreciated. or just add the path back please!

9. InakiAndres

InakiAndres

And if you have a project with differents versions saved in differents locals paths, unity hub only says you the name of the project and not the path... You must be lucky guy if open the right... OMG!! 2 weeks with Unity Hub 2.0 and I hate it...

10. alfish

alfish

Option to Remove Modules from an Installed Editor Version
    There is an "Add Modules" screen, but no option to remove modules from an installation. For example, after finding out that WebGL build is buggy in Linux, I want to remove it, but I can't.
    The checkboxes are disabled for modules that were added. Please either add a "Remove Modules" screen or change it to "Manage Modules" so I can untick the checkboxes and remove modules. You'd also have to change "total space required" to account for uninstalls, so it might say "total space freed".
    You may also provide the "Remove Module" option directly, when clicking the module icon on the entry under "Installs".

Yeah, an option to auto-update patch releases would be nice too. For example, 2020.1.7f1 -> 2020.1.9f1 could be automatically downloaded and then auto-switch selected version for projects on next start without prompting user; while 2020.1 -> 2020.2 would still require manual installation. You could also have an option to keep old version or automatically remove it if auto-update is successful.
    This would be beneficial for Unity devs too, since it would reduce bug reports for old versions that already have a fix.

Don't re-download on Internet connection failure
    Also, please make it so downloads are kept and resumed on Internet failure. I got a "corrupted" error when download stopped because of a temporary Internet disconnection (my ISP is trash). It should have been able to pause the download and resume it instead, like browsers do. These downloads are large.

By the way, can't patches have a "differential" smaller download that just fetchs the difference from previous versions and applies the difference on a copy of an existing installation? This is totally doable. It would greatly reduce download sizes (and server load for Unity) and give incentive for users to always apply the latest patches.

ScriptsEngineer likes this.