Search Unity

Feedback Hub 1.6

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Player7, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Player7

Player7

Failing to see improvements...

Like I had to manually go delete a project folder because the hub doesn't allow doing that, but after doing that and then launching the hub it still shows a deleted project, and therefor I can't use the same effing project name for a new project.

Unless you open that project, and run it, only then does the hub give a notice saying there is no project in this folder, and then its removed...

errr why isn't the folder just checked at startup or the moment the user clicks on the project to see if the folder/project exist.

I get its angular and therefore everything behind it is javascrap and therefore the whole thing is probably some spaghetti code of crap and doing anything properly like a 100 more files each filled with some more javascrap.. but at least try to make the ux better... frankly not sure why you didn't just use something like QT?

Also if you try to set the Unity hub to run as administrator and startup the Hub, it will get a white screen if some other hub process is still running...yknow when I goto close the hub.. i expect the damn thing to close and kill off all of its spawned processes not linger around in the background.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you sure the Hub was completely closed? To close it, you must right click in its icon in the system tray, provided you are on PC, since you don't provide that information.

3. Player7

Player7

Yeah PC Windows10 buggy background bloat telemetry garbage ux and S*** flat crap pro style edition..

Point is.. when I close the last instance of the Unity editor (say opening multiple projects) I expect the Unity Hub to remove itself.. not leave multiple background processes chewing up 100mb+ of memory... I don't care for it's stupid tray icon that isn't even visible by default. None of that is adding any user benefit for me.. so why is it being designed this way.

Hell the Hub should be closing itself the moment it opens the Unity Editor .exe it's not like it does anything useful outside of launching projects, certainly not very good for managing projects or much of anything else.

I already have a shortcut I can use to start the Hub, why is this thing needing to leave itself lingering in the background? I've already got all of MS pointless garbage S*** in the background, nvidia garbage etc the list goes on now I've got 2-3 Unity Hub processes that get left behind unless I specifically re-open it and close it.. this is just dumb lets not add to it Unity.

4. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

I'm connected to my wifi but the HUB keep telling me "You are currently not connected to any network" so i'm stuck i can't access assets store.
    Could you please just remove that sh*t login from the HUB and keep it inside the editor only?

5. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

When i enter my credentials and click on signup the login screen disappear but nothing happen hub_sh.PNG

6. Baste

Baste

The Hub's managing your login details.

Not saying that it was a good decision to make things work like that (it wasn't!), but that's why it's still open in the background.

Software these days is poorly behaved. Programs add themselves to automatically launch on startup by default. They do things in the background when you're not using them. They close to the tray instead of actually closing when you click the close button.
    The Hub's not really a worst offender here, it's just following common industry trends. All of the decisions about how the hub works and is implemented makes sense in the context of "making it as efficient as possible to use the Hub to manage Unity". When you look at the broader picture, where your computer and workday is better off the less things are happening on your computer, the decisions start being detrimental.

The Hub's only eating just under 50 MB of ram, and only spinning at 0.5-1% cpu every now and again. That's not a problem. It's a problem when 50 programs all do "just" that.

luispedrofonseca likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

At least the Hub doesn't. I'm sure some people would want it to though...

8. Player7

Player7

Not sure how you get 50mb, its more like 200-300mb here, anyway yeah I had noticed it's literately only just for licensing sign ins.. why on earth that couldn't have been handled more efficiently is really just silly.