Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question HTTP Response Header "Content-Type" configured incorrectly...

Discussion in 'Web' started by SimRuJ, Dec 3, 2021.

1. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

Hello everyone,

I exported my WebGL app (Unity 2021.1.24f1) and it's already on the Tomcat server but whenever the Unity loading screen is shown, there's some type of warning above the logo in a yellow box (with a white border):
    "Build/2.wasm" exists in the export. Is that something I have to change for the export or on the server? What exactly do I have to change? I found this and this but I'm not sure I understand what the message is asking of me or where to add stuff, tbh.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    makaka-org and ina like this.
  2. livium

livium

same here!

3. Mashimaro7

Mashimaro7

Bump... I have this issue too lol

4. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

I managed to fix it! Add the following to the "web.xml" file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <mime-mapping>
    2.     <extension>wasm</extension>
    3.     <mime-type>application/wasm</mime-type>
    4. </mime-mapping>
    You might also need:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <mime-mapping>
    2.     <extension>data</extension>
    3.     <mime-type>application/octet-stream</mime-type>
    4. </mime-mapping>
    5. <mime-mapping>
    6.     <extension>symbols.json</extension>
    7.     <mime-type>application/octet-stream</mime-type>
    8. </mime-mapping>

GhostTap and Mashimaro7 like this.
  5. Mashimaro7

Mashimaro7

Thanks for your solution! But, where is the web.xml? I can't find it in either my project or my build.

KoosyCrypto and dradb like this.
  6. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

The web.xml is a file on the server/in your server project that calls your Unity WebGL project.

Mashimaro7 likes this.
  7. Mashimaro7

Mashimaro7

Ah, I got it. Sorry, don't know much about WebGL, I'm not running it on a server, it's for a client haha.

Thanks for the response

8. SharrTZaw

SharrTZaw

Hello, I am facing the same issue! I can't find any web.xml file in my server folder. What have happen to my hosting? I use wordpress on hostinger server. I want to upload my WebGl to my hostinger server

cortexa and dradb like this.
  9. jayray2000

jayray2000

Hello, unfortunately I have no real solution for the problem. But you can remove the error message that is displayed. To do this simply disable line 70 and 72 in the WebGL.loader.js file. This works with a development build.

Code (JavaScript):
    1.       if (typeof message === 'string' && message.indexOf('wasm streaming compile failed') != -1) {
    2.         if (message.toLowerCase().indexOf('mime') != -1) {
    3.         //  showBanner('HTTP Response Header "Content-Type" configured incorrectly on the server for file ' + Module.codeUrl + ' , should be "application/wasm". Startup time performance will suffer.', 'warning');
    4.         } else {
    5.           //showBanner('WebAssembly streaming compilation failed! This can happen for example if "Content-Encoding" HTTP header is incorrectly enabled on the server for file ' + Module.codeUrl + ', but the file is not pre-compressed on disk (or vice versa). Check the Network tab in browser Devtools to debug server header configuration.', 'warning');
    6.         }
    7.       }
    For a normal build delete or comment out the first if statement in WebGL.loader.js.
    it is marked in bold in the code example below:

function createUnityInstance(e,r,n){function o(e,n){if(!o.aborted&&r.showBanner)return"error"==n&&(o.aborted=!0),r.showBanner(e,n);switch(n){case"error":console.error(e);break;case"warning":console.warn(e);break;default:console.log(e)}}function t(e){var r=e.reason||e.error,n=r?r.toString():e.message||e.reason||"",o=r&&r.stack?r.stack.toString():"";if(o.startsWith(n)&&(o=o.substring(n.length)),n+="\n"+o.trim(),n&&c.stackTraceRegExp&&c.stackTraceRegExp.test(n)){var t=e.filename||r&&(r.fileName||r.sourceURL)||"",a=e.lineno||r&&.....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    KoosyCrypto likes this.
  10. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

@jayray2000
    No need to mess with Unity's files, there already is a real solution in post #4.

11. jayray2000

jayray2000

That's right, but I have no idea where to find the web.xml file or where to put it on my server.... ;-)

12. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

It should already be on the server. If you don't know what you're doing, then the last thing you should do is messing with Unity's files and disabling the error won't fix the underlying problem anyway.

13. Vixxd

Vixxd

Could you tell us where the 'web.xml' file is expected to be found on an Apache server? I am using shared hosting and familiar with updating .htaccess and .httpconf files but not web.xml files. I have been uploading WebGL builds to this particular server for years and never encountered this before doing a WebGL build with Unity 2021. I have contacted my webhost support chat and requested they update the 'web.xml' file and they said it does not exist.

EDIT: I added the following to the .htaccess file within the root of my project (where index.html is) and that resolved the issue - did not need to locate the web.xml.

Code (csharp):
    1. AddType application/wasm wasm

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  14. Vixxd

Vixxd

I added the following to an .htaccess file (I created myself) within the root of my project (where index.html is) and that resolved the issue - did not need to locate the web.xml.

Code (csharp):
    1. AddType application/wasm wasm

15. Vickrpg

Vickrpg

do you just create a blank .httaccess text file with that as the only line? I also have no web.xml file.

16. Vixxd

Vixxd

I did already have one for subdirectory settings but creating a new blank one should have the same result.

17. josefnpat

josefnpat

For anyone using Apache2, you can either use .htaccess as mentioned in post #14, but some apache installations don't have .htaccess files enabled, like mine.

I added `AddType application/wasm .wasm` to `/etc/apache2/ mods-enabled/mime.conf`

This worked for Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu)

livium and Vixxd like this.
  18. floatingfehrsen

floatingfehrsen

For me .htaccess did work and couldn't find web.xml but adding a file named web.config to the directory with index.html worked, the content is;

<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <staticContent>

<mimeMap fileExtension=".wasm" mimeType ="application/wasm" />
    </staticContent>
    </system.webServer>
    </configuration>

19. danielesuppo

danielesuppo

20. trasmouss

trasmouss

not work, not work, not work :(

21. Cusmat

Cusmat

Thank you

22. sparkyu

sparkyu

This works for my wordpress

23. xTheTimeSte

xTheTimeSte

this fixed + + +

24. KoosyCrypto

KoosyCrypto

Can you make video how to fix that please?

25. KoosyCrypto

KoosyCrypto

Thanks you, your solutions work for me

26. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

For anyone else encountering this problem, the suggestion in comment #9 merely removes the error message and does not address the cause of the error!

The solution to this problem is to configure your web server with the proper MIME type association, which is specific to your web server and documented for some common choices here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl-server-configuration-code-samples.html

ENRI2, LilGames, Waranoi and 2 others like this.
  27. FaridCG

FaridCG

Unfortunately, none of the answers helped me. I just deleted in index.html this one:
    warningBanner.style.display = warningBanner.children.length ? 'block' : 'none';

28. dreg_master

dreg_master

create a .htaccess file and place it in the directories before the project

<IfModule mod_mime.c>
    AddEncoding gzip .unityweb
    </IfModule>
    AddType application/wasm wasm

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      9.3 KB
      Views:
  29. jcameron47

jcameron47

Thank you, that did the trick. Don't see a web.xml, added blank .htaccess with this fix, works. I had to clear my history with the site for the warning to be gone next time.

30. AfricanStudios

AfricanStudios

for my on Apache 2.4.6 I added to my etc/mime.types . Tried all the other methods, they didn't work for me.

Code (CSharp):
    1. application/wasm    wasm

31. pkcooper

pkcooper

Another idea that worked for me... Change the 5000ms timer to 5, and change the background padding color to black. It just looks like a normal load function in my game.

function unityShowBanner(msg, type) {
    function updateBannerVisibility() {
    warningBanner.style.display = warningBanner.children.length ? 'block' : 'none';
    }
    var div = document.createElement('div');
    div.innerHTML = msg;
    warningBanner.appendChild(div);
    if (type == 'error') div.style = 'background: black; padding: 10px;';
    else {
    if (type == 'warning') div.style = 'background: black; padding: 10px;';
    setTimeout(function() {
    warningBanner.removeChild(div);
    updateBannerVisibility();
    }, 5000);
    }
    updateBannerVisibility();

32. halinc

halinc

suddenly got the same error after a new build and couldn’t explain why as it was working fine before (without any .htaccess file).

silly mistake really: make sure you don’t use a development build :)

33. ChuChuRocket

ChuChuRocket

In Apache 2.4 on Windows 10 Home, you can add the following line to "httpd.conf" file inside the "<IfModule mime_module>" section.

AddType application/wasm .wasm

jacksonkr likes this.
  34. ExNinja

ExNinja

[Unity 2020.3.38]
    Another option is to enable both some sort of Decompression (GZip or Brotli) and Decompression Fallback in your WebGL settings. This causes all of the files in your WebGL Build folder other than _.loader.js to have the extension .unityweb appended, avoiding the .wasm configuration issue. (For example, myGame.wasm would now be myGame.wasm.unityweb .)

This, of course, may also be slow, but it does bypass the error without having to go into any web server settings.

LilGames likes this.
  35. makaka-org

makaka-org

Resolved by editing htaccess, but why is the app loading so long?
    About 20–40 seconds with Wi-Fi after the loading bar crosses the almost end
    For app with test line of code...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  36. OrbitalDuck

OrbitalDuck

I had a similar issue and just couldnt get it to work so asked my hosting company (clook.net) to see if they could help and they did.

They added:

headerfix.png

they used the Header Set directive at the bottom of the htaccess file in /Build/ to force the correct header on the files.

jukka_j likes this.
  37. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

That's nice to see that web hosts were able to accommodate. If they can also add .wasm.br to that list, that would enable them to run Brotli-compressed content as well.

OrbitalDuck likes this.