Search Unity

HTC Vive: trigger or grip button keeps being pressed

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by kunzej, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kunzej

kunzej

I used to use the following two lines in Update() to find out if the user has pressed the trigger:

Code (CSharp):
    1. device.GetPressDown(SteamVR_Controller.ButtonMask.Trigger)
    2. device.GetPressUp(SteamVR_Controller.ButtonMask.Trigger)
    Most of the time this works pretty well, but sometimes the button seems to be stuck: after releasing the trigger or grip, device.GetPressUp stays false in every frame (even calling this in FixedUpdate didn't help).

So I changed my code to only use this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. device.GetPress(SteamVR_Controller.ButtonMask.Trigger)
    However, I still have the same issue: sometimes this line keeps returning true even though I'm not touching the controller at all.

Is this a Vive/Hardware bug, or am I doing anything wrong?

2. kunzej

kunzej

Just wanted to mention that I'm able to reproduce this on another Vive. So it must be a software or firmware issue and not specifically my Vive.
    Does nobody else have this issue?

A very easy way to reproduce this would be this Code:

Code (CSharp):
    2. if (device.GetPressUp(SteamVR_Controller.ButtonMask.Trigger))
    3.     Debug.Log("Up");
    5. if (device.GetPressDown(SteamVR_Controller.ButtonMask.Trigger))
    6.     Debug.Log("Down");
    If you then see the number of "Up" and "Down"s in your log, you'll see after some clicks that they will get off.

3. TheFragen

TheFragen

I just wanted to bump this, as the issue still exist and is insanely annoying.

4. AR_Rizvi

AR_Rizvi

I have this same issues where when i trigger it works fine but some time it stuck and take two or more trigger clicks to reset if some one has any info about this please share

5. nikkipope

nikkipope

Not sure if this is a good permanent fix (I'm thinking a hardware defect is the root cause here), but I found that starting with the Vive controllers outside the frame of the trackers triggered this problem. Starting (i.e. booting up the game) with the controllers in the gaming area has seemed to fix the problem, at least for now.

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

There are some issues with the controller button quality, I've had issues (others confirmed as well) with the trackpad button and heard of other miscellaneous problems. That may not be the root cause for you but since there are other confirmed issues with buttons I wouldn't rule out bad hardware.

A good way to test is to try other demos and see if it gives you the same issue.

7. Plystire

Plystire

I can confirm that the problem still exists as of SteamVR 2.0.1

Occasionally the buttons will "stick", and I haven't found a way to work around it. :(
    I have noticed that when a button is stuck, it will become corrected if any input is updated. So touching the touchpad will release a stuck grip/trigger button.

[EDIT] I have opened an issue on their github

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  8. HipNGroovy

HipNGroovy

Yep still an issue! Same symptoms as Plystire.