Search Unity

[HTC Vive Tracker] How to prevent "Auto Turn Off" when no movement after 5mins?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by sharimken, Jul 29, 2019.

1. sharimken

sharimken

I had a tracking system which only use vive trackers without headset. It works fine so far but the trackers will be turned off themselves when no movement.

In general, when tracker stays connected, it will show as green light.
    However, if there is no movement for a while(let say 30mins), it will disconnect itself automatically and the light will be turned off too. I have to turn on the tracker and connect it again.

It probably will be a problem related to SteamVR instead of Unity3D. But hopefully someone can give me some advise.

2. sharimken

sharimken

3. sharimken

sharimken

I finally found the solution. Disable Power management in SteamVR, and disable the "usb selective suspend" in windows setting if necessary.

4. avindas

avindas

I'm still strugling with this. The vive trackers keep turning off sudenly the three of them at the same time.

5. spyrotor_unity

spyrotor_unity

they keep turning of here as well, does anyone have another solution?

6. ari_tr

ari_tr

I am just testing it myself, but for me it seems to work. Have you in the SteamVR Settings, in Startup/Shutdown Section, set 'Turn off controllers after' to 'Never'? For me that does not only seem to impact the controllers auto turn off, but also the trackers and I have them running for 25min without having moved the HMD or them

7. sharimken

sharimken

I didn't check this post for a while, let me conclude my post here.
    If you have any urgent question, you can still reach me via email: thelghome@gmail.com

My original solution didn't work anymore after updated the tracker firmware. I didn't further debug after the opening of the show.

If someone plans to use vive trackers for public events, I suggested that you should optimise your own scripts for switching tracker frequently. Spare trackers are very important, as some of helpers will overcharge them and then the trackers will be dead for running/charging too long lol.

Some weird behaviour will happen, once it's damaged.
    for example, it will shut down suddenly, even it's fully charged. you have to wake it up with usb charger connected.

again, the unity openvr has some limit in maximum devices count.
    you have to use the openvr from github instead, as openvr is deprecated in future version of unity.

For someone who is interested in what I developed with these Vive Trackers system, you may check out my Youtube documentation.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020