Search Unity

HTC Vive System Tracker capacities

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Anelrush, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Anelrush

Anelrush

Hi, I am developing a AR/VR joint environment between the HTC Vive and Microsoft Hololens, my project centered around using the vive as tracking of objects and sending the info to the hololens, currently I am using the vive controller with the object attached to it. This works wonders, but the problem is the controllers are very bulky and leave a huge footprint and were only using it for tracking and no interaction.

I recently saw that HTC have a new accessories called the "System Tracker" that have the tracking functionality i need and is much smaller than the controller. My question is has anyone done unity VR delopment with the trackers before, as I would like to know that it is possible before I order them.

2. StayTalm_Unity

StayTalm_Unity

Unity Technologies

These things? https://www.vive.com/us/vive-tracker/
    Unity supports them as Hardware Tracker XR Nodes.
    If you'd also like to use one of connectible accessories like the Hyper Blaster, Unity also supports getting that button data through the Input APIs as of at least 2019.1 (I can check for earlier if needed). If that's your interest ping back and I can get you the button indices and settings for it (the tracker needs to be set to handed in Steam for it to work properly and report buttons).

Outside of our control we've found that we sometimes get unusual data from them, and can struggle to connect 2 controllers and multiple trackers, but they do work with InputTracking.GetNodeStates when they are reported to us.

3. Anelrush

Anelrush

I do not need them for any input, currently, I use one of the controller as input to calibrate the two environments. Was thinking of using the tracker with a ingame model of an arm attached to it and have the tracker also physically attach to the real world person.

4. StayTalm_Unity

StayTalm_Unity

Unity Technologies

In that case it should be relatively easy to detect it as a hardware tracker, in any instance where you would previously have detected a controller :).

5. LocalsOnlyCoop

LocalsOnlyCoop

Great. Now how do you track more than one?