Search Unity

How's your Collab experience these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChazBass, Sep 4, 2020.

1. ChazBass

ChazBass

I've been using Collab since it was first introduced (2017?) and it has always been somewhat of a dumpster fire. Granted the dumpster has gotten smaller, but issues persist. In 2018 and 2019, for example, Collab would lose your credentials randomly during a working session, but you could fix this by signing out and signing in. Now in 2020, it errors out with various API error messages getting dumped to the console (some unintelligible), and the only way to fix it is to restart Unity and sign out and sign in.

I filed but reports a few times, but only got "we can't reproduce your issue" response back.

I always also use Git (no, I don't trust Unity for version control and back-up purposes) so nothing is at risk, but I like the simplicity of using Collab to keep projects synched between my Windows laptop and my MacBook. I just don't enjoy the time I waste restarting Unity and re-signing in just to commit and push an update.

I assume that Unity is just using Git under the covers, which makes it even more mind-boggling how they still have the issues they have. And if they aren't using Git under the covers, what are they thinking? Last time I ran into a bug in Git/Github? Never.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

My Collab experience is almost the same as it used to be. Sure it auto-signs me off a little less now, but it also corrupts Timeline files if more than one person breathes in their general direction, so there's that.

Time for random "Checking for changes" keeps increasing (it's up to 3 minutes now) and on some days it happens every 10 minutes (it seems to have something to do with other computers opening the project? Sometimes it seems that's a trigger for other computers to init a checking for changes).

3. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Collab was fine for me until I need to fork a special build for a convention. I doubt they were even using git, otherwise branching would be available out of the box.

I left for PlasticSCM and never came back.

And actual plot twist: Unity acquired PlasticSCM.