Search Unity

How you started here?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Yukyolol, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Yukyolol

Yukyolol

Hi everyone, as you can see im new on this game-development world. So i have many questions on my head^^

I'm just starting, its enough free version for start to learn how Unity3D works, and how game-development works?

I'm 20 but i started C++ development at 17 years by myself, soon i started as IA developer on "Raids" and "Boss" in World of Wacraft.

Actually im trying to make a path by myself, as starter i cant deal with the profesional edition.

I found some good official tutorials made by Unity3D and looks amazing, i cant wait to unity finish the install (its in 60% :p)

If possible i'm glad to know your story, how you started as game developer? What was your difficulties?, what you did for manage them?, what advice would you give me as starter?, what is the most difficult task you had?

Thanks everyone for read, if this isn't the correct section sorry and please move thread.
    Sorry if you had to do some effort to understand my english^^

Cya^^

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. DataError

DataError

hi @Yukyolol I started programming computers back in 1996... i started .NET in 2001. The reason I'm here is because Unity adopted .NET mono. It was the best route. I never thought back in 2001 that .NET would be so prevalent in 2016. But yet, that's my story... i'm old school programmer and I make about 15k per month making games, not because of unity, but I've switched to Unity in the last 5 years. Nuff said?

3. jhocking

jhocking

I talk a bit about my background in the foreword to Unity in Action. Long story short, I started in game development as an artist, but I kept needing programmers to implement my ideas, so I learned game programming, and now work as a professional game programmer developing games like Tyrant Unleashed. I first started programming games over a decade ago, before Unity even existed, but now Unity is my tool of choice for most game development.

Ryiah and MikeTeavee like this.
  4. Freakyuno

Freakyuno

Really, the difference between the free version now and the professional version don't limit the type of game you can make anymore (it used to limit what you could include from a plugin standpoint, but not anymore), so the free version does everything the pro version does essentially, you can look here:
    http://unity3d.com/get-unity

Free version does the same thing as pro except for the "extras". Welcome to the forums, good luck in your ventures here, learning to be a "game developer" teaches you so many other things that are valuable in technology...stick with it, it's worth the experience.

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. MikeTeavee

MikeTeavee

Most difficult task for me so far?
    Getting hired.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Ryiah likes this.
  6. Yukyolol

Yukyolol

Amazing 15k per month is a very great numbers, at least for me!! Are you actually working alone or with team? And those 15k how much time required to get? Thanks for your answer.

Amazing your story thanks for share it, how much time required to become an a professional game programmer?, as you said you started as an artist. With those professional games you did, how much you win per month or total? (Only if you want to answer that question) Thanks for your answer.

Then free version for start to learn will be ok! Thanks for your answer!

How much time taked you for get hired? You started alone or with team? Before you get hired you tried to make a path alone? Actually if you find a job, how much you win? (Only if u want to answer that question) Thanks for your answer.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. MikeTeavee

MikeTeavee

One year of serious Unity study (13 hours a day except weekends) and three months of networking... and I'm still not employed. I did everything except attend GDC in San Fran. My third interview is tomorrow (wish me luck).

8. Yukyolol

Yukyolol

I wish you very great luck!! However you tried to do something (your own project) and try luck?? Good luck again! thanks for the reply ;)

9. Marceta

Marceta

This is my oldest post i could find in game dev's community, there is probably even older one but didn't want to dig that deep i could get nostalgic :D .Back then i was learning/using A Gamestudio. Like every newbie i wanted to make instantly games like gta.
    I never was hunting money, this was passion for me since elementary school , when i first time modded doom 98' game, and swaped sprites with my classmates and teacher as boss enemy :D. Since then i just fall in love with programming and making games, i was also gamer too, sega-mega , sony and finally pc. With all that passion and love, later i got skills, with skills i got jobs, and with jobs money comes. I started working with Unity when it got released for windows for the first time, and thanks to Unity engine i got much opportunities and learned many cool stuff. Today i'm pretty much happy with my game dev path, I'm learning every day something new, reading stuff all day/night. I can say I'm workaholic. Today i work with awesome guys, even more awesome projects and I just can't get it enough, i wish i could sleep less (less than 6 hours). My personal record of working is 36hrs without sleep. Actually i made mistake by aceppting to many projects, i realised i worked on 4 projects at that time, and when deadlines started hitting me i had to push things to max, even i lost a lot of my nerves, it's great experience and lesson for me, not being greedy. And that's it, it's much longer story than this text but....

10. landon912

landon912

I started with the old Lerpz tutorial for Unity. (Let's see if anyone remembers that! Here's the only thing I could find.) Before that I worked in web development. :(