Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you guys do in-game transactions for PC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LtGamers-Laurence, Aug 1, 2018.

1. LtGamers-Laurence

LtGamers-Laurence

Title says it all. I am currently making a first person multiplayer free2play game how ever i am wanting to allow my skin system to work with in-game transactions. How would you guys do it? Does unitys in-game transaction system work for PC,MAC,LINUX?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. LtGamers-Laurence

LtGamers-Laurence

Thank you. I have already used steams system how ever i am wanting something more standalone.

4. LtGamers-Laurence

LtGamers-Laurence

Anyone have any other suggestions?

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

So you're not publishing to Steam then?

6. LtGamers-Laurence

LtGamers-Laurence

I am not sure about this project. Which is why i would a solution other then steam.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Is the non steam market really big enough to justify any other system of micro transactions?

It might make sense to write your own if you are a Blizzard or an EA. But I really don't see enough revenue coming in for an indie to justify taking on the risk of building your own micro payments system. You'll want to find a third party system and palm the risk off to them.

No. Its only designed for mobile platforms.

8. LtGamers-Laurence

LtGamers-Laurence

See i can write my own system quite easily my own problem comes down to security.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's likely the risk @Kiwasi was referring to in the first place.

Anyway, if you look into "Backend as a Service" providers many of them include transaction and/or purchase management, so you don't have to build your own.

In response to the Steam or not-Steam thing, I'd consider both. It's a bit of a pain, but no more pain than any other kind of cross-platform support.

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I would make this decision first. Steam requires all in game purchases to go through their system, so if you implement an alternative system you would have to disable it and implement Steam's system if you decide to publish on Steam. That's potentially a lot of wasted work if you end up only publishing through Steam.

angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  11. LtGamers-Laurence

LtGamers-Laurence

Hmm yeah true. Thanks for the advice

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Check out XSolla payments, or take a look at Paypal's API.

You could also create a website for your game, and players can top up their account with 'credits' or something which can be used to buy IAP's in game, then just link the balance on the website with the players in-game balance.

At the end of the day, don't ask for credit card details in-game, most players will never trust that. Redirect them to a payment gateway instead.