Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How would I setup Cinemachine to make a top down shooter game?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Indiefreaks, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

Hi all,

I'm investigating whether Cinemachine could be the solution I've been looking for to get a proper smart camera for my top down shooter project but I struggle finding any references where I should actually start with this amazing addon to Unity.

I started with a basic virtual camera that I have set it's follow target to my player controlled character as well as setting it to use World space, and it does follow it as expected.
    However, what I'm clearly looking for is a way to make the camera damping where the character is looking at (on a x,z plane).

Should I try making use of the Aim section using a Group Composer that will try to track the character and another invisible transform at a certain distance in front of this character? Should I investigate another route?

Note that I'm willing the camera to always keep its direction the same and obviously not to rotate the camera angle: otherwise, I'd mess up all players input feedback...

Thanks for any tip.

Philippe

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Hi Philippe,

If you don't want the camera angle to change then you are right not to use the Aim portion of the vcam.

I think you might want to investigate the FramingTransposer in the Body section. This will frame the desired target (which could be a group) without ever rotating the camera.

DreamSpaceYL and zeimhall like this.
  3. jmrepetti

jmrepetti

Hey, maybe this helps. There's a 'World Up Override' setting in the Main Camera after adding Cinemachine. Well, I created an empty object, I set this object as Override World Up, and rotated the object as I wanted, now I can see my main character from top.

Adam_Myhill likes this.