Search Unity

How would I script a Spore Creature Creator-type character creator?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by xander999, Jun 30, 2013.

1. xander999

xander999

Working on my new game project, but it is proving difficult. I need a to make a character creator with morph handles for the spine, parts that automatically stretch to the ground, inflating parts of the body, moving and bending limbs (parts) and using through all the stages. The parts need to be able to be place anywhere and rotated in any way on the creature. Same with clothes creator and house creator. I also need players to be able to change a character at any time they find a mate. There also should be a paint section with textures that go onto the player.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. bigSky

bigSky

First up, I'd say that a spore style creature creator would be very difficult, and your list of requests is significant. For the character creator, you'd be looking at a solution that either uses implicit surfaces (metaballs, like spore), or a real time deformation tool like megafiers.
    "Inflating parts of the body", I guess means pulling and pushing implicit surfaces, like spore, but if it doesn't mean that, then moving vertices along their normal will "inflate" a mesh. Due to the difficulty of adding parts and skinning, I'd go back to the design phase and ask "does it really need to be one mesh?"
    As for texturing, dependent on the surface you use, you might find these 2007 Siggraph slides helpful. Given the complexity of your requests of the "create" part of the game, it might be a good idea to take a look at the budget, take a look at the spore API, to see some of the complexity that you'd have to manage, and then re-think your project.

3. wccrawford

wccrawford

There's a lot of work there. It's not going to be a simple script. It's going to be a series of complex scripts.

My suggestion is to start small. Learn to make a box appear on-screen scompletely from code. (No art assets.) Then expand that to more complex shapes. They modify those shapes in real time. Then modify those shapes in response to use input. Etc etc etc, until you finally have your character creator.

4. xander999

xander999

I've kind of figured out how to attach parts (If the part is, in someway touching the creature then it can stay and the player can manipulate it).
    Sculpting the spine - Create spheres by the player dragging their mouse (Instantiate a prefab of a spinal piece with all scripts, child to previous sphere. Limited spine. Need to figure out how I can smooth the spines and manipulating them so that the spine is smoothly bent and manipulated by the other part's movement. For more info play spore and move one of the bones on the spinal structure of a creature.)
    Inflating spinal section: Rescale spheres with scroll wheel
    Procedural animation - Animated legs with the spine as a child for movement, but each sphere has it's own weight. The legs get slower as more weight is added.
    For gameplay a figured a ton of things out about how spore works by watching the 35 min. GDCe 2005 demo of spore. Great info there about using simple procedural verbs that combine to create new ones. Should be easy, creating joints between mouth and enemy when biting a dead body so that a new verb, drag (or carry) is created. A singular difficulty is adding weight, but I've created some rather complex shooter scenes from scratch (no tutorials no kits no pre-made scripts) so I should be able to figure it out.

But can someone help me on the spore-style smooth manipulation and smoothing of the spine?

5. patchworkx

patchworkx

haye hoo *
    * lang tima ago u found that problem i see ..-- now i`m also wanna fix that too ++ how much work is done jet -- wanna join/ or knew where to start