Search Unity

How would I go about implementing my card game idea?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by HumphreyGames, Oct 27, 2021.

1. HumphreyGames

HumphreyGames

Hey so I have a game idea, where players put together a combination of cards (can be different each time), and each card has a different body part and damage etc. When put together, these cards add up to make a player. That player then gets transported into a 2d world. I can make the actual player movement and everything else. But what I am stuck on is making it so that the different cards actually make a different player every time. Any help?

Sorry if this is confusing.
    Thanks,
    Josh

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,

Make a paper prototype first.
    • You can use use index cards for the playing cards. On each index card, write down the body part and its traits (damage, other cards that it can't be used with, etc.).
    • Draw and cut out paper doll pieces for the body parts. On each paper doll piece, write down the traits -- damage, rules on how it works (e.g., zombie legs drag, wheel legs roll, etc.) -- as well as how they should look.
    Then "play" through the character-making process a few times. This will let you get the rules and logic straight before implementing them in Unity. It may sound tedious, but it's a huge help because then you can focus solely on the technical implementation in Unity.

When you get to Unity, make some simple graybox art pieces. Don't make your final art assets yet.

If you're using Unity's new 2D skeletal animation system, you can assembly body parts in a hierarchy. You'll probably want to use the same hierarchy for all characters and simply swap out the sprites assigned to the body parts' SpriteRenderers.

If you're using spritesheet animation, you can layer spritesheets (e.g., base body spritesheet + head spritesheet + legs spritesheet, etc.).

3. HumphreyGames

HumphreyGames

I will try doing this. Thanks for the help :D

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Feel free to post pictures of your paper prototype. I'm interested to see how it turns out.