Search Unity

How would I achieve FPS into Space then fly away?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jamiecropley, May 7, 2020.

1. jamiecropley

jamiecropley

How would I achieve FPS into Space then fly away? Basically I can write an First Person View controller in Unity 2019.3 easily that can walk around and such etc... however one thing I am struggling to understand how to do as I can't find any tutorials anyway, is walk onto a platform in my game / or ship model inside of it, then lock the FPS character to the ship / platform when they push a button with the crosshair over an object in the ship / on the platform e.g. a console with a button. Then I want to make the ship fly around.

1. Is there any tutorials about on how to achieve this?
    2. If not what sort of outline as to which what specific stuff would I need to look at in the Unity / API / documentation to achieve this?
    3. Any other way I have not thought of?

2. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

1. Tutorials do not exist for everything. Eventually, when you start wanting to add specific features to your game, you will have to solve these problems on your own.
    2. Honestly, I would just parent the FPS character to the ship. If your FPS controller works in local space, that should have you moving around in the spaceship regardless of the ships position or rotation.

3. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Break your problem down into small chunks and solve them one by one:
    • Fps control
    • Interaction with objects in fps
    • Spaceship control
    You can probably find tutorials for each of these individually. Spend some time on each piece and get it working right before combining them all.

4. jamiecropley

jamiecropley