Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback How will we get notifications about asset updates in 2020+?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Rowlan, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

The Terrain Tools aren't on the asset store, you can only download them via the package manager directly.

Is there some way to get notified about updates automatically for such cases? How will it be in the future when the asset store is removed from the Unity Editor and we can only download assets via the package manager?

On a side-note while the migration happens: It would be nice to have only notifications when the asset really got updated, not all the time when the publisher changes the text in the description.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Basically if you've installed a package on package manager and look at your "in project" list for only installed packages, you can quickly see if you are using the latest packages or if some have updates available for them (there's different icon next to the package if there's an update available).

Edit: Oh you mean for asset store packages? In that case you should still get the update icon on the "my assets" view (there's a tiny icon with down arrow on white background if there's an update available for an asset you've already downloaded before). But there's no similar versioning there like with regular PM packages so it works more like in the old asset store workflow if you update and import again.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's more about automatic notifications. I don't want to waste my time to check for something that isn't there.

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Can't you browse https://assetstore.unity.com/account/notifications then? not quite sure what you are after. For notifications, you can control how they work on the settings link (enable "A package I bought or downloaded is updated to a new version").

I personally have that bookmarked and poll that occasionally but you can also conf notifications to send you email about the changes at your preferred interval.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'd like to get informed when e. g. the Terrain Tools or HDRP get updated in the Package Manager without checking every day only to see that nothing happened.

But thanks for the link, that's helpful as well.

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback/request. I've reached out to the team for a statement. AFAIK this is not supported as of yet.

Rowlan likes this.
  7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It's currently not possible but on their backlog. No ETA yet.

TextusGames and Rowlan like this.
  8. Baste

Baste

That would need to be optional. If Unity started nagging me about updating packages I'd go ballistic. Using a computer these days is essentially traversing an obstacle course of constant update message boxes in order to do what you want to do.

Raul_T, Xarbrough, hippocoder and 3 others like this.
  9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There's a fundamental issue with this type of feature tho. For this to work in a way user would expect it to (to only notify user if there's updated version of the thing the user actually has on the project), there would need to be a way to actually track what version of the thing there's installed to the project...

Right now asset store packages are just naively imported to the project. After they have been imported, package manager doesn't know anymore the asset version on your project so it can't therefore know if there's update available for that thing you just imported, for your specific project.

What it can do today is tell if there's been an update for the thing you've downloaded before in the local cache, and this feature is functional even today. Just look at "my assets" in package manager and there's a different icon for items that have updated since you've downloaded them to local cache.

So for this to actually work in expected way for the user, we'd need to get all asset store packages to behave like the rest of package manager packages (instead of just bloating the Assets-folder with import like it's done now) but since there's tons of 3rd parties involved here, it will take a long time before we even get close to that.

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I'm not aware of any update checker plans for asset store packages. As far as I know this notification system is only considered for Unity Packages.

11. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

That makes way more sense :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I don't want to see update messages here too. My reason would be: when you work in a team, you want to use the same Unity version and packages. If however such update dialog appears, there is always that one person:

13. bugfinders

bugfinders

TBH as the package manager doesnt work with a number of corporate proxys, and nor does the asset store, no matter what some of us have tried, this is kinda a mute point as we cant use either

14. Djayp

Djayp

15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This is probably going away eventually. Recent Unity versions don't even use bintray anymore for fetching their upm packages but they still mirror the new packages on bintray for the time being (I suspect they do this only so they don't break things for users who use older editor versions that are configured to fetch stuff from bintray).

fherbst, LeonhardP and Djayp like this.
  16. Player7

Player7

I thought the whole reason for moving things to the package manager way of doing things was to improve the S***ty way asset store unitypackages work in the first place.. including versioning.

Ramobo and transat like this.
  17. transat

transat

Here are some ideas:

- An asset store package's name and version number should be stored in each asset's .meta file.
    - The asset store should require asset developers to certify which SRPs the package works with and that should be properly advertised.

I would imagine that these 2 things would allow at least a rudimentary form of versioning.

As for the issue at hand:

- UT could set up an RSS feed of updated packages. No one would get needlessly spammed if this were the case, as you'd be able to subscribe to the feed of a specific package or not. And the notifications would not occur within the editor so there would be considerably less risk of a rogue staff member clicking on 'update'. Problem solved.

Though really, all of this package manager stuff (inc. asset store packages) should be taken out of the editor altogether and should reside in the Hub. Less bloat in the editor, less uselessness for the Hub.

Player7 likes this.
  18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Basically the versioning issue will go away the moment Unity enforces asset store publishers to use upm packages for all new assets. I'm fairly certain this will happen eventually but I don't know if it's confirmed to happen or not. They also can't just force everyone to the new package system for existing items as it would be a nightmare to get "forgotten" assets to get converted so the old approach would still need to stay there.

Trying to patch what's bad and essentially broken system is not a good plan either (I'm now referring to current import to Assets directly), adding metadata there wouldn't fix the things wrong about this approach (it would still bloat your project's Assets folder) and end result would still be subpar even if you could track the files better.

Package Manager got done to fix a lot of the similar issues with distribution, there's a reason why Unity doesn't ship new systems anymore via Asset Store, they mainly use it to provide sample projects and such content.

19. QFSW

QFSW

They need to give us the opportunity to first* :p

JoNax97 likes this.
  20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is it just me that checks for updates if something is broken ? I mean for most people, you probably don't want to check daily. You want to check whenever:
    • you have a bug you can't find and think it's from a related package
    • your project is 100% great but lacking performance
    And you want to just do these sort of tests maybe once a month. Daily is just not a good development practise, in fact it's dangerous.

But that's besides the point, I guess feedback is feedback.

21. Player7

Player7

However they do it, so long as I never have to see a bloody missing script error with fff all info on what the script name used to be... Because even now assetpackages have constant issues with upgrades (leaves files behind, replaces files in completely different folders from the original package just because some other asset was using similar, no merge or user provided options for dealing with these conflicts or seeing the code differences before import... in how fk things ended up like this into 2020 is just sad.

I do agree that the move away from assetpackages to the newer package system is more like the direction things will go, and providing file version info in the meta file just isn't going to happen, much like providing some last known script name, so the editor isn't completely useless at giving you a clue on missing script info... I keep bringing it up, because it still blows my fkkkng mind how there are so many assets on the store that have something maybe an example scene/prefab broken after import.. even on a fresh empty project.

22. transat

transat

You’re right. It is besides the point. And a bit condescending to be honest. Assets are constantly being broken when you’re on 2020 and URP.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I thought asset authors made it mostly clear that they don't suport alpha or beta versions. That's what they consistently tell me, anyway.

24. transat

transat

You think wrong @hippocoder. Please don’t hijack this thread any more. Bad practice for a moderator. :)

25. JoNax97

JoNax97

Hijacking the thread? What are you smoking pal? :rolleyes:

bugfinders and hippocoder like this.
  26. BradZoob

BradZoob

Thought it was a bit weird that i couldn't get asset updates via the package manager, and a few obvious bugs, also AssetImporter crashes out the wazoo but overall I love this release for what it attempts to do, rather than what it actually achieves.

27. bugfinders

bugfinders

Im not a fan of pushing assets in the package manager, but otherwise 2020.1 is a good idea and I like much of what is to come when it makes it out as a released product, right now, even by my low standards its a bit too grumpy for me

28. BradZoob

BradZoob

If it's setup the same way as regular packages then it's the best idea ever for everybody (initially for devops and then for everyone else as devops release a billion UPM interface components to the AssetSTore/Github for users), if it remains just another black boxed proxy for the Asset Store then that would be a step backwards, particularly since they only just recently fixed the 7 year issue of scaleability in the v8 wrapper (ie; 5-10 minute freezes to Unity on refresh).

29. bugfinders

bugfinders

It might be except it doesnt work with a number of corporate proxys that dont except user: password@host.com style logins.. so for me, it annoys the **** out of me

30. BradZoob

BradZoob

They're using Basic Auth?

31. bugfinders

bugfinders

well, one of the solutions of authenticated proxies was to try basic auth but of course thats not what where I work uses, it in fact bounces you to a site that logs you in for a token... so, unity freaks out, I cant use package manager or asset manager, although I can browse in the old asset manager, so it doesnt do all its calls the same way I just cant download anything, same with packages, but the new package manager even in 2019.3 doesnt even work at all now, in fact I cant even open projects in 2019.3 because it just gets bent out of shape