Search Unity

How well does Unity handle large resolutions (4K)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by robotfunk, Feb 2, 2011.

1. robotfunk

robotfunk

I could not find any info on the max resolution supported by Unity3D. Nvidia Quadro cards allow for multiple cards to be seen as one, allowing for 4K display across several cards. Would Unity3D work? Does anybody have some real world experience with such setups?

2. robotfunk

robotfunk

anyone?

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

unity handles them as any other engine: it doesn't touch it, its your gpu that will suffer from it, unity has nothing to do with that at all :)

5. robotfunk

robotfunk

@bigkahuna: Thanks but that is bout huge texture sizes, my question was about output resolution.

@dreamora: So you think it should work fine? I was just looking for some real world experiences. I recall reading on the forum somewhere that someone had crashes at 3600x768 or a resolution close to it. These things are hard to search for, 4K is too short a search term, resolution yields mainly results about texture. At the film academy we are investing a healthy sum in a realtime 4K project, would be nice to know beforehand if it's feasible at all with Unity.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

It depends on the hardware, texture support, VRAM thats available etc is a pure hardware aspect (aside of what big kahuna mentioned, where you could use larger textures with smaller virtual sizes).
    So if someone had problems with such a texture then it would be cause the hardware does not support it (would need to be a pretty old one) or because it ran out of graphics ram