Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How well can Unity apps/games integrate with native features of iOS and Android?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by PantonVentura, Aug 11, 2018.

1. PantonVentura

PantonVentura

I am building something which would be classified more as an "app" rather than a "game" and being new to Unity I was hoping someone could help me understand the possible native features on mobile platforms that can be accessed from Unity.

For example, I would like to be able to invoke the native iOS keyboard over the base of my app and even specify whether I want a normal alphabetic keyboard, an exclusively numeric one or one that has the '@' symbol readily available for entering email addresses for example.

Basically, I'd like to integrate with as many native features on both iOS and Android while still building a 2D, 3D, VR, AR app etc. with Unity.

Are there some guidelines for this kind of thing?

Can anyone share their experiences with attempting something similar?

P.S. If it's a case of "RTFM", then please help me find the right place to start 'R'.

2. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

That works out of the box without coding (at least if you are using TextMesh Pro input fields... but I think it also works with the built in input field). You can for example specify that the content of the input field is for an email, then the appropriate keyboard layout which of the keyboard used by the OS is displayed.

there are some assets in the asset store and at prime31.com
    If you need something you cannot find there it is still possible to write your own plugin. However, that is a bit tricky.