Search Unity

Question How two make a smooth transition between two HDRI maps using box volume

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by wm-VR, Oct 4, 2021.

1. wm-VR

wm-VR

Hi there, this question has been asked a few times already, but the given answers are hugely outdated referring mostly to Unity 4/5 shader tweaks.

I have to create a rocket flight starting from the earth and passing four different skyboxes until reaching orbit. This includes four skyboxes with an 8k resolution.

To my understanding, the box volume is conducting a smooth transition between different fog volumes based on their priority. This seems to work with floats but not with the HDRP map itself. The switch between two skies occurs in an instant.

If anybody could referee me to a starting point would be helpful! thanks!

2. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

You are asking a question everyone wanted to know for years.
    the answer is NO,there is no way to do that with default volume system.

unity team didn't put the smooth transition between hdri skybox in mind when they built the volume system.
    and they have never wanted to add these basic things for years.

there is a plugin in assetstore could do it and something basic but important and unity team never wanted to do.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/magic-lightmap-switcher-built-in-srp-196489

wm-VR likes this.
  3. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

What you can do though is create a custom sky override with two HDRI slots and a fader in there.
    There's some scripts in the documentation to get you started and then it's just a matter of lerping between the cubemap in the shader.

wm-VR likes this.