Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

How to: Yield a Frame?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by YetAnotherKen, Sep 9, 2019.

1. YetAnotherKen

YetAnotherKen

I have seen several references to yielding a frame. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

2. Ian094

Ian094

Code (CSharp):
    1. yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();

YetAnotherKen likes this.
  3. YetAnotherKen

YetAnotherKen

Thank you!

4. Antistone

Antistone

That's not quite correct. The best way to make a coroutine wait for one frame is usually

yield return null;

WaitForEndOfFrame waits until a specific (unusual) point within the generation of a specific frame; it's used if you need to control the order that stuff happens within a single frame. If you're doing it over and over in a loop, it will give a similar end result, but the first time you do it you won't actually be waiting a frame (just until the end of the current frame), and it will cause your coroutine to run during a weird part of the game loop.

This diagram shows the relative timing:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html

5. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Worth noting I think in the interest of being pedantic (and possibly stopping another discussion on this that may occur down the road before it starts) that you'll see both "yield return null;" and "yield return 0;" used from time to time, but that, as Antistone suggests, it's the null method that you should use. They're functionally identical in that they both wait a single frame, but null doesn't allocate an integer or box/unbox its value under the hood to determine that it should just throw it away anyways. While this is a relatively tiny optimization on its own, it compounds quickly in some situations, and it's an easy one to get into the habit of making, right up there with caching YieldInstructions when you have no specific reason not to.

Cheers. =)

6. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

Good point, I liked your post.

unityunity