Search Unity

How to "Walk" using the Oculus Go Remote?

Discussion in 'VR' started by unity_nr_QVBitd6351Q, Dec 19, 2018.

1. unity_nr_QVBitd6351Q

unity_nr_QVBitd6351Q

I've been able to bring in models from Revit -> FBX -> 3ds Max -> FBX -> Unity & have brought in the OVRPlayerController (Imgur Link: https://i.imgur.com/Cp3xiCj.png) and set up my scene. Within Unity I can use my keyboard to move, but when saved as an .apk all I can do within the Go is look around.

What I'm hoping for is to look in the direction I wish to move, clicking on the touch pad to start and stop walking & the trigger to launch/teleport me to the point in the cross-hair (if possible).

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, all that's possible, but it's not built in.

There are two forms of movement that the community seems to be settling on:
    1. Smooth movement based on touching (not pressing) the thumb disc; the top of the disc moves you forward, the sides makes you strafe sideways, and the bottom of the disc moves you in reverse. Basically you move in the direction/speed of the disc touch vector, relative to the direction the controller is pointing (or sometimes, relative to the head direction, though I don't recommend that).
    2. Teleport movement. The details of this vary, but basically you somehow indicate a target position, and then click (or release) the trigger to jump. Better for not making people sick.
    I've been working on a controller that supports both of these at once. It's not quite ready for production yet, though I do plan to post it when it's done. Of course its behavior is not exactly what you were asking for anyway.

So, I suggest you roll up your sleeves and start coding! You should have the main camera inside another GameObject (which I usually call "Player"). Just move that Player transform around in code, however you like.

ROBYER1 and gjf like this.
  3. cgarchitekt

cgarchitekt

Hello unity_nr_QVBitd6351Q,

have you come any closer to a solution? I am also interested in this topic and would like to have a reasonably simple solution. I'm not a programmer myself.
    Thank you very much for an answer.

jons190 likes this.