Search Unity

How to VOB -> FLV on OSX?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by taumel, Jan 29, 2007.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

what is the best toolchain on OSX to convert and encode DVD VOB files to FLV (on2VP6) where i do care about a) very good quality, b) high compressionrate and not so much c) about encoding time for online streaming FLVs?

Is there a good tool around which does it all or do you need several tools for a) rip and convert and b) to encode the flv for a good result?

Thanks,

taumel

PS: I also don't mind to hear you opinions about it on win... ;O)

2. Marble

Marble

The best compression tool I've ever used is Episode. They list "Flash Video 8" in their supported codec list, but I'm not sure that's exactly the one you want?

Of course: $$$

3. BadMonkey

BadMonkey

You may want to take a look at http://ffmpegx.com/flv.html - it only supports the original FLV format (sorenson spark) not the On2 VP6 format .... but it gives pretty good results and is free, so you have nothing to lose. I don't think there are any free options to encode On2 VP6 on the Mac, but there are a few commercial programs .... Sorenson Squeeze springs to mind, but the cheapest option may be from On2 themselves (http://www.on2.com/technology/flix-features/) .... it sounds like it adds the export to any quicktime-supported app ... so it may well add On2 encoding to ffmpegX to create a direct route. These tools are all available on Windows as well, so the prefered option would purely depend on which is your fastest processor.

Paul

4. taumel

taumel

@Marble
    Thanks i'll look into this one. I suspect with Flash8 they mean on2VP6.

@badMonkey
    I already had a look at ffmpegx but more in terms of getting the VOBs converted to a format without compression (does ffmpegx support this as i only saw compressed formats on a quick view?) in order to use another tool to do the encoding. H.263 (Sorensen) isn't enough. I definately need the on2VP6 codec and there i would prefer the tool which enables the best quality/compression rate due to encoding options you can choose. I already can do this with Flash8 but i would like to know if there is a better solution around, the better if it can do this in one step. I wasn't aware that the on2 tools are available for osx too...thanks!