Search Unity

How to uv map probuilder polyshape mesh ribbons?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Aurigan, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Aurigan

Aurigan

Hi all, I'm using ProBuilder to create polyshapes, extrusion of 3 units, then deleting the top/bottom faces to create mesh ribbons. I'm trying to use this texture (1024x256), tiled around the ribbon:

upload_2021-1-25_8-52-0.png

The goal being to create a floating island 'edge'. By default this ends up looking like this:

upload_2021-1-25_8-55-12.png

Using tiling in the shader set to .083 / .333 I end up with this:

upload_2021-1-25_9-11-3.png

Close ... but the texture isn't continuing face-to-face. Using the Probuilder UV editor I can get faces to connect using auto/group selected face OR by using manual / project as planar but in both cases, the texture is inconsistently stretched like so:

upload_2021-1-25_9-15-45.png

ALSO, it's hard to see above but the rendering always seems to include 1px repeat of the texture vertically, zoomed-in view:

upload_2021-1-25_9-18-19.png

So - two questions:

1. Is there a simple set of steps to get probuilder to uv map these ribbons as I'd like them?
    2. How can I remove that 1px texture-repeat artifact? Edit - guess I can at least hide this by using a tiny offset in the shader ... would be nice not to have to!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. Aurigan

Aurigan

So ... I did end up adding an offset to the shader.

For the stretching issue ... the only 'solution' I could find was to select a face then control-click the adjacent (this triggers auto-stitching in probuilder, I guess) ... then repeat all around the mesh ribbon.

Still looking for a way to get PB to do this without the hassle of manually clicking each face!

3. Aurigan

Aurigan

Bump - still looking for a way to either make UV mapping work as expected for mesh ribbons OR a way to auto-stitch every face on a ribbon without manually selecting every face and control-clicking the next.