Search Unity

How to use Vuforia in a desktop application?

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by waldgeist, Dec 22, 2017.

1. waldgeist

waldgeist

I've seen that there's also an option to enable Vuforia for desktop applications (PC, Mac & Linux Standalone). This got me pretty excited, as Vuforia was limited to mobile devices before. However, even if I enable the option and make a standalone build, the screen is black instead of showing Vuforia. I'm using the latest Unity 2017.3 build.

2. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi Waldgeist,

Here's a list of the devices that Vuforia supports.
    That's a bunch of mobile devices running Android, iOS and Windows 10, digital eyewear, AR- and VR viewers. No mention of desktops.

You can test your Vuforia applications in the Editor ( PC, Mac & Linux ) but as far as I know you can't publish standalone dekstop applications out of the box. You could of course run a fullscreen app from your Unity Editor.
    There's a commercial component / plugin, created by Mr. Rouf, called Vuforia Standalone, that should enable you to run Vuforia apps as Desktop standalone executables. I have no first hand experience with it and thus can't tell if it's good.

I did build Vuforia Universal Windows Platform (UWP) packages to run on my Microsoft Surface Pro, works like a charm. Very similar to running a Desktop standalone executable.

3. nahoy

nahoy

Hello!

Can someone explain to me why this won't work out of the box?
    If it already works in the Editor for Windows/Mac, it should be ready for Standalone too.

Also what does the Vuforia Standalone from Mr. Rouf does? Simply copy the required DLLs to the build folder?

LT23Live likes this.
  4. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi Nahoy,

I saw some indications that Vuforia is using the Studierstube ES Augmented Reality project. I remember reading somewhere that Studierstube license costs around 3000 US dollars per desktop seat. ( I'm not sure if that's counting enduser seats or developer seats or both, I would assume developer seats. )
    And I can't tell you which trick Mr. Rouf applies as I haven't used it.
    If you would really benefit from standalone desktop support consider making it known in Vuforia's wishlist thread here; https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/general-discussion/wish-list

5. nahoy

nahoy

Never heard of "Studierstube ES Augmented Reality" before!
    And thanks for the suggestion about the wish list :)

6. blackhawk_001

blackhawk_001

Can you guide me on how to build vuforia uwp?

7. waldgeist

waldgeist

I'm not using Vuforia anymore. Got too expensive.

8. Sika_MC

Sika_MC

Vuforia

9. dagon

dagon

@blackhawk_001 Don't forget to check webcam and internetClient in Capabilities before build
    @Sika_MC I build a simple AR app in uwp
    It works well with webcam Logitech C920
    But when I ran in my laptop (using the default laptop camera) video seems to flip horizontal (same image).

Attached Files: